Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Berd- What I posted earlier seemd pretty simple to run after putting a new ROM on. Just uncheck resourceDB on DelCap file. A ton faster than any of the other options so far. You have to redelete the sharedtips file everytime as well so just one more step.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I guess I didn't quite catch that earlier.
    Thanks!
    So, after I Flash my Custom (the 'rev cvt2' way) I just go into FileZ and do as u instruct.
    And that's it?
    Great!
    Just call me Berd.
    Yep.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Because we done have a real solution I thought I would post what I do after a hard reset or flashing a new ROM.

If after a hard reset you find you have carrierdb version 249.
    1- Use a program like FileZ to browse for a file named DelCarSetDb.
    I have checked and rechecked both before and after a hard reset and also after all stages of a 1.20 upgrade. I have not been able to find DelCarSetDb using FileZ. While I do get 255 after the upgrade...it reverts to 249 after restoring using BackupBuddyVFS.

Am I doing something wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1
    I have checked and rechecked both before and after a hard reset and also after all stages of a 1.20 upgrade. I have not been able to find DelCarSetDb using FileZ. While I do get 255 after the upgrade...it reverts to 249 after restoring using BackupBuddyVFS.

Am I doing something wrong.
    I am guessing you are restoring the older versions from your backup. Either remove the 4 files from your backup or hard reset and select all but those files to restore.

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    I am guessing you are restoring the older versions from your backup. Either remove the 4 files from your backup or hard reset and select all but those files to restore.
    Thanks...that did it...
    Did anyone else notice this in the Palm provided update instructions?
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl....html#download

"Do not back up and restore through an SD/MMC expansion card
    Some customers use an expansion card to make backups of the smartphone's entire contents, but for this update, please perform the HotSync operations as instructed. Otherwise, you may see looping resets."

I first saw this before I updated my 650 but I ignored it and did the restore from my SD card anyway (using BB VFS). Could this be causing the problem?
    Partially. There is a process run by the updater during the restore hotsync. The other is restoring older copies of the carrierdb masking the updated version.

9.    #149  
    Ok Guys. I decided to jump into the programming of the ROMs & have successfully *disassembled* the updater for 1.20 ENA. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif The following is the summarized step-by-step process (files are in blue):

1) AAACheckers, ENAUpdateWizard.pdb & PackageVersion.txt.pdb are uploaded to Treo.

2) Token check of Scenario Carrier & Revision against Device Carrier & Revision > Cap version check > Free device Ram & Buffer check > Cap payload check > System validation.

3) Upon success, Notifier Token flag set in registry.

4) Uploaded files are deleted.

5) Data backup to HotSync folder.

6) AAACheckers & ENAUpdateWizard.pdb uploaded. Another buffer check & memory check.

7) Files uploaded in this order; AAACheckers (again), CAPNoResetUpdateLib.prc, CapPackage.zip.pdb, DeviceCustomizerApps, ENAUpdateWizard.pdb (again), Firmware files, Inventory.pdb, PackageVersion.txt.pdb, ResourceSize.txt.pdb, RomUpdaterApp.prc & Rom files.

8) Files are validated using MD5 CRC check.

9) Install begins. Firmware is written. Then ROM is written. Upon success, registry updated.

10) Device Hard Reset & touchscreen calibration. ROM @ 1.20 ENA w/ Carrier DB 255. FW @ 1.71.

11) Restore begins. AAACheckers & ENAUpdateWizard.pdb are uploaded. New Tokens are populated & restored.

12) Carrier Tokens checked & Revision Tokens checked.

13) CAPNoResetUpdateLib.prc, CapPackage.zip.pdb, PackageVersion.txt.pdb & ResourceSize.txt.pdb uploaded.

14) Cap buffer written. Cap Library resources written.

15) Uploaded files are deleted.

16) Data restore from HotSync folder.

So, it seems Palm has used several PDBs to validate and update the ROM & RAM/backup. This approach is a first for Palm updaters. Historically, they did not have common installer files which affected both the ROM & RAM/backup.

This might sound like Greek to some of you, but I am working on creating a custom ROM which will include all this. Iíll post more as I come across it. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif
    Last edited by CraniumFunk; 01/28/2006 at 11:48 PM. Reason: # sequence fixed.
    CraniumFunk, that would be great. I understand just enough of it to be willing to get myself in trouble trying whatever you come with.

It would be nice if you could come up with a method that would let us create our own ROMs whether it is including all of the above into an SD install or creating a way to do a custom ROM then create a Palm style install file.

Whatever you do, the effort is appreciated.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I also would be glad to assemble my own rom out of a total installation, as I use only german language, no tutorials, no realplayer etc.
    Great work!?
    Regards
    conum
    own rom out of a total installation, as I use only german
    I'm managed for months to get a non english rom working.

If you use a rom w/o a english language in ROM, simply your treo become a blinker.

I asked everywhere th get info about this (with no results), then I found the solution:

1) You have to build the rom with the Shadowmite tool as usual, removing all the non wanted SW, the non english languages (except deDE in your case)and the enUS files, then build the rom

2) open the your custom ace-palmos.zip and find the boot.conf file

3) edit the file in the first line as below:

[bigrom]
    companyID="hspr" halID="arm0" romTrim=0x10000 model=big resourceAlignment=32 locale=enUS readOnlyParms="0x00000000" hdr=0x20000000 bigROMOffset=0x20000000 romBlock=0x20000000,0x01600000 versionString="Wed Nov 2 20:51:41 PST 2005" romHalDB="DALAcDc_Device.prc" romBootDB="System.bprc" romSplashDB="SplashscreenColor-2X.bprc"

[bigrom]
    companyID="hspr" halID="arm0" romTrim=0x10000 model=big resourceAlignment=32 locale=deDE readOnlyParms="0x00000000" hdr=0x20000000 bigROMOffset=0x20000000 romBlock=0x20000000,0x01600000 versionString="Wed Nov 2 20:51:41 PST 2005" romHalDB="DALAcDc_Device.prc" romBootDB="System.bprc" romSplashDB="SplashscreenColor-2X.bprc"

Red is the value to edit, green is the final result.

I used an hex editor but I think a good text editor is OK too.

4) zip again the folder previously unpacked, with powerarchiver, winzip or your favourite archive program.

5) reopen the zip with the Shadowmite tool make a dummy change (removing or adding something), then build the file again.

6) check if the edited line is retained.

7) follow the other steps as usual

Enjoy your custom (non english) treo
    P.S. Obviously if you are going to use other languages the correct values are

itIT=italian

frFR=french

esES=spanish
    Just another tip to get a perfect custom rom with 1.20 FW.

Upgrade your treo via palm updater, then update via SD with your custom rom, then resync.

In this way your CC-Cap and your Carrierdb will be OK.
  15.    #155  
    I have a full unadultered 1.20 ENA custom ROM ready. It's installed using SD card. It's been tested and shown to revert to Carrier DB 255 on Hard Reset. It also restores AmrDecLib & updated tips files from ROM. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

It can be customized using Shadowmite's Treo 650 Rom tool to add & remove software from ROM. In order to take advantage of custom ROMs, you will wanna add your own registered software to free up the fixed amount of RAM.

Before I post, can a Moderator confirm if it's ok to copy the ROM & Firmware files to tc servers or do they prefer they be hosted offsite? Thanks.
    Last edited by CraniumFunk; 01/30/2006 at 12:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    I have a full unadultered 1.20 ENA custom ROM ready. It's installed using SD card. It's been tested and shown to revert to Carrier DB 255 on Hard Reset. It also restores AmrDecLib & updated tips files from ROM. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

It can be customized using Shadowmite's Treo 650 Rom tool to add & remove software from ROM. In order to take advantage of custom ROMs, you will wanna add your own registered software to free up the fixed amount of RAM.

Before I post, can a Moderator confirm if it's ok to copy the ROM & Firmware files to tc servers or do they prefer they be hosted offsite? Thanks.

Has any Moderators Replied Yet?
    Just call me Berd.
  17.    #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Has any Moderators Replied Yet?
    Haven't heard anything thus far.

When I receive confirmation, I'll post the files to the new thread started by jgm regarding current location to link ROMs & Firmware.

I now have an unadultered, SD installed, ROM & Firmware for 1.20 ENA & 1.20 LAP. I can extract these files for any region, if the demand is there. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif
    In the meantime, can you explain the steps follwed to get this "magic" rom ?

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I would like to have a german rom without real and tutorials
    conum
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk

If ones will notice above, Unless Cranium wants to correct me,
    He's going to give us a ROM for us to customize ourselves.

To all interested,
    It is pretty simple to learn how to do a Custom Rom.

Custom ROM by a dummy 4 dummies
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/s...0&highlight=rom

Custom Roms And Rom Hacking
    http://shadowmite.com/wiki/index.ph...And_Rom_Hacking

Custom ROM creation tutorial - basic steps
    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,18762.0.html
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/30/2006 at 03:05 PM.
    Just call me Berd.