Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    If you do a hard reset and do not sync with your desktop will you have 255 or 249?
    I know questions are flying from every direction, Emoticons, Timestamps, 249, Blazer Freezes, and I am sure more to come. So even though it would be nice to get all working good from the get go, am I terribly wrong in just applying all these fixes manually like the 255, SmartTextEngine_Device.prc, and other.
    I know it won't survive a Hard-Reset, but neither does any of my programs in RAM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koleto
    OK fellows,

It seems that there IS a problem related to version of CarrierDB. Let's summarize the information: If I understand correct what you find out and after some experiments I did by myself, version 255 IS IN THE ROM of 1.71 ENA update because it survives Hardware and zero out resets. BUT IT IS NOT FUNCTIONAL IN ROM so updater moves it to RAM by updating the files in Backup directory on your PC before the last hotsync for data restore. That's why it is overwritten with older version (249) during restore from SD card or if you use a temp profile during update. So if I think in the right way there should be a program in ROM that after a Hard Reset restores related to v.255 files back in RAM. Am I right? I haven't used any custom ROMs till now made from 1.71ENA but I cannot understand why they did not change CarrierDB related files to 255 version as it was reported by some people. Any suggestions on that?
    This is not quite how it happens. It appears that both versions are in the ROM. The files that are transferred to the Treo on the restore option (3) of the Updater are not in the backup folder. They come from a temp folder created by the installer. It created two folders, Treo Updater and CapUpdate. There are 4 files in the CapUpdate dir. They are copied to the Treo during the restore process BEFORE the backup files or install files. It seems to be part of the Updater program. What this appears to do is remove one file from ROM(?guessing). The file is DelCarSetDb.prc If you run the updater completely this file is gone. So when you reset you still have 255. If you do not run the updater completely or use a custom ROM it is still there. If you use a program like FileZ and delete it, you still have 249. If you use FileZ and under attrs uncheck ResourceDB and save it your Treo will reset and DelCarSetDb.prc is gone, and you have 255. You can copy out the four files from the directory but they are not executable from the Treo even if you set them to be launchable.

That's as far as I have gotten.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

This is a nice mistery

There are some scenarios:

1) You are upgrading using a temp profile.

The result is:

After FW upgrade on the phone

CarrierDB=249
    CC-Cap= -----> (depends on the FWversion already present on the phone)

After 1st sync

CarrierDB=255
    CC-Cap=ENA-ENA-001

If you resync with the old username

CarrierDB=249
    CC-Cap= ENA-ENA-001

If you HR th phone

CarrierDB=255
    CC-Cap= ENA-ENA-001

2) You are upgrading with the current profile

The result is:

CarrierDB=249
    CC-Cap= -----> (depends on the FW version already present on the phone)

After 1st sync

CarrierDB=255
    CC-Cap= ENA-ENA-001

3) You are upgrading via SD from a previous major number version FW

The result is:

CarrierDB=249
    CC-Cap= blank

If you copy the famous 4 files

CarrierDB=255
    CC-Cap= blank

If you HR th phone

CarrierDB=249
    CC-Cap= blank

4) You are upgrading via SD from a phone already updated to 1.20 via Palm Updater

The result is:

CarrierDB=249
    CC-Cap= ENA-ENA-001

If you copy the famous 4 files

CarrierDB=255
    CC-Cap= ENA-ENA-001

If you HR th phone

CarrierDB=249
    CC-Cap= ENA-ENA-001

Now we can explayn this only in 2 ways

A) There is a 3dr place where data can stored other than RAM & ROM ( a cmos memory, a flash rom in the phone module, etc...)

B) There is a place in RAM that can't be touched by HR or Zero Out reset

If you have any other ideas pleas let we know...
    Quote Originally Posted by richard371
    If you do a hard reset and do not sync with your desktop will you have 255 or 249?
    It depends on if you completely finished the installer with a restore from a previously know Treo. If yes then 255, if temporary was used or you didn't restore with the updater or you use a custom ROM 249.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor
    This is a nice mistery

There are some scenarios:**Clipped**

Now we can explayn this only in 2 ways

A) There is a 3dr place where data can stored other than RAM & ROM ( a cmos memory, a flash rom in the phone module, etc...)

B) There is a place in RAM that can't be touched by HR or Zero Out reset

If you have any other ideas pleas let we know...
    I think we can assume this is a ROM Token Like the ENA issue we had at first. I don't think there has been an SD updater update this Token.

Is it possible that Shadowmite or any of his PDAPhone Hacker Team or reading this? If so what are your thoughts? This is getting beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Is it possible that Shadowmite or any of his PDAPhone Hacker Team or reading this? If so what are your thoughts? This is getting beyond me.
    I was thinking that a couple days ago.
    He has had solutions in the past.

This has been way beyond me from the beginning.
    Just call me Berd.
    I think we can assume this is a ROM Token Like the ENA issue we had at first. I don't think there has been an SD updater update this Token.
    Ok, my question is:

If the CarrierDB/CC-Cap values are simply stored in ROM, why they are not upgrded in the FW/SW upgrade phase ?

and

If they are simply in RAM why they survive to HR or ZOR ?

Why CC-Cap survive to a new FW upgrade done via SD

Why CarrierDB not survive too ?
    Ok, my question is:

If the CarrierDB/CC-Cap values are simply stored in ROM, why they are not upgrded in the FW/SW upgrade phase ?

and

If they are simply in RAM why they survive to HR or ZOR ?

Why CC-Cap survive to a new FW upgrade done via SD

Why CarrierDB not survive too ?
    From my limited understanding this is what I think is happening. The ROM Tokens are basically labels of versions. This is what the updaters use for checking the version. This is why when something is labeled APR it can't be upgraded to ENA. You can udate the ROM image/files to ENA but the updater will still not load, it's all based on that Token.

It appears to me that there is also a Cap Token in ROM to make the software in ROM after a reset determine which version it should restore. So we need to update the ROM Token it is looking for.

When we first started playing with the ENA update we couldn't get the Token updating for the Software Version until I basically followed other ROMs for an out line and build ot to match previous SD updates. There is a step in that SD process that reads a file and does update the Token for Software Version.

To update this Cap Token I am not sure if it is built in to the SD updater process, I am doubting it because Palm is running it post update process.

This is why I think it is time for the guys who really know what they are talking about. I am thinking of posting this in Shadowmites Forum.

I am thinking of posting this in Shadowmites Forum.
    SM is a very skilled guy, but is a CDMA user, I'm afraid he can't help us a lot.

From my limited understanding this is what I think is happening. The ROM Tokens are basically labels of versions.
    My understanding is limited too, but if we are speaking only of token and labels why the phone need to SR after the 1st hotsync ?

The need to restart the phone usually is present only when files in use are upgraded.

And why, if we are speaking of tokens the number changes after installing manually the four files ?
    SM is a very skilled guy, but is a CDMA user, I'm afraid he can't help us a lot.

My understanding is limited too, but if we are speaking only of token and labels why the phone need to SR after the 1st hotsync ?

The need to restart the phone usually is present only when files in use are upgraded.

And why, if we are speaking of tokens the number changes after installing manually the four files ?
    The file that needs to be changed is the DelCarSetDb, it caues a reset when changed. I think in the ROM on starting after a reboot looks to the Token to recreate the DelCarSetDb if the version is right it doesn't.

SM has had to deal with ROM Tokens for several other issues CDMA. So I am pretty sure he can explain what needs to happen to update them.

BTW I did post a request in his forum as well.

I think in the ROM on starting after a reboot looks to the Token to recreate the DelCarSetDb if the version is right it doesn't.
    Yes this makes sense.

I think a similar issue is present with the wellcome wizard.

I think you are in the same situation of me: no images are present in the wizard using the ENA FW.

Yesterday I tried the TIM brand 1.20 FW (which is not too customized, is almost the same as the ENA, the only changes are the screen overlays, the predefined versamail profiles, and only english and italian languages are present). With this version, the images in the wllcome wizard are present, and I noticed (in one of my tryings) that, if the SW are from TIM but the string is still ENA, the images are not present too.

This mean that the wellcome program is the same for all version and it is looking for the FW string to show the correct image in the 1st wellcome page (at&t, cingular, treo....) now I think it can't recognize the ENA string and get confused, on the other side, the TIM string still is the same and the images are shown properly.
    What a mess!! After the dust has settled, could you experts tell us

1. How to update using a temp profile and
    a) sync back to the old profile in it's entirety or
    b) start fresh and re-install all applications by clearing the backup folder of old profile before syncing with it

2. What to do in the future after hard resets and
    a) Redo the Treo from scratch (applications and PIM)
    b) Reinstall applications from scratch but retain PIM data (by clearing the Backup directory before hotsyncing)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Because we done have a real solution I thought I would post what I do after a hard reset or flashing a new ROM.

I have removed the AmrDecLib from my own ROM as it gets duplicated FYI.

If after a hard reset you find you have carrierdb version 249.
    1- Use a program like FileZ to browse for a file named DelCarSetDb.
    2- View the details and find the Attrs tab Uncheck resourceDB. Save, it will reset the Treo.
    3- Upon this reset you will not have carrierDB 255, Amrdeclib will be there and the DelCarSetDb will be gone. At this poing I also delete the Shared Tips file.
    4- Restore from SD, or hotsync.

OK... Here is what I did to turn CarrierDB back to 255

I update my treo with the official updater so I have CarrierDB 255 after a Hard reset. But when I restore from my SD card it revert back to 249. So i take a look in backup directory that RescoBackup created on my SD card (/PALM/Backups/Default/hotsyncname&date&time/) and there was two zip files CarrierProfiles2.zip and NetworkProfiles2.zip. Inside these files there were CarrierProfiles2.prc and NetworkProfiles2.pdb. So I just replaced these two zips with the two files ( I zipped them first) posted in the begining of this thread and now I have CarrierDB 255. I thik this will help.

--------- EDIT ----------
    So here are my steps for upgrade:
    1. Install ResoBackup (this will place the program also in /PALM/Launcher
    folder of your SD card so after HR you can use it to restore)
    2. Download ChangeName program from http://www.mulliner.org/palm/changename.php
    and place a copy of it in /PALM/Launcher on your sd card. You will
    need to set your HotSync name in order to restore with RescoBackup
    3. Backup with RescoBackup to SD card (works great and saves all
    registration info)
    4. Change two zip files as described above
    5. Pull out SD card from treo (it has to be out to change two files with card reader :-) )
    6. Hard reset
    7. Hotsync with temp profile.
    8. Apply the Plamone updater.
    9. Hard reset
    10. Put back SD card and change your HotSync Name back to original
    11. Restore with RescoBackup AND YOU WILL NEVER SEE CarrierDB 249
    ANYMORE !!!

GOOD LUCK
    Last edited by Koleto; 01/27/2006 at 05:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Thanks to the experienced folks who are working on a solution to the 249/255 problem.
    It is my hope that someone from Palm monitors threads like this and I'd like to suggest that they consider a possible future solution.

The problem seems to be that you need to go all the way through the upgrade process to have everything in place and end up with 255. In the case of most users they don't have enough free memory to start their upgrade with their 650 in its normal state. That means that unless you want to do one of the complicated fixes mentioned in this thread then you would follow one of the following two paths:

1) Do a hard reset and when the upgrade process is completed reinstall applications and resynch everything. That is not something I look forward to doing!

2) Do a backup with something like BackupBuddyVFS, do a hard reset, do the upgrade (all the way to the end), then restore from the backup. The problem with this option is that you end up with 249 and whatever implications that has.

It would seem that in the future Palm would be able to build into the upgrade process a backup, a hard reset (to free memory) and at the end of the upgrade a full restore. While I'm not all that bothered by having to buy third party solutions like BackupBuddy, in this case there is a catch22 where no reasonably easy combination does everything.

Now the question is: Is Palm listening?

Of course there is also the possibility that I've missed the simple solution...I'm hoping that is the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1
    ...<snip>...
    Now the question is: Is Palm listening?
    ...<snip>...
    Yeah, they are listening alright. It is either they don't get their heads together or just want to make their life easier (probably save a few pennies too) and let us suffers
    I think there's a simple solution there. I started out by short-circuiting the official directions and, rather than doing a Hotsync after the upgrade, I restored from my SD card backup. This resulted in missing AMR support (no audio with internal video and AMR ringtones) and 249 carrier DB. I'm sure this is because I was restoring files from the SD which are incompatible with the new upgrade.

Here's the right way to do it:
    1. Backup everything to your SD card using CardBackup or your program of choice (which will allow you to restore an individual file). Remove the SD card.
    2. Follow their directions fully, including the Hotsync after the upgrade, using your own profile. This will maintain all your PIM data, but prevent you from overwriting anything which has been replaced by the update.
    3. Upon the update being completely finished, reinsert the SD card and restore SavedPreferences from you SD card backup. This should re-register all your programs, and (unless you have some corrupt preferences), shouldn't affect anything about the upgrade.

The only things I've found I had to reconfigure were which ringtones ring and my Bluetooth devices. Everything else works great, and I've got all the latest firmware.

Hope this helps...

Bill
    Last edited by cyclone; 01/27/2006 at 11:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone
    I think there's a simple solution there. ...clip..clip...
    Hope this helps...
    That's a pretty good tip.
    I know that many here are also trying to find a solution for Custom Roms.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast