Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    That is what I have done 3 times tonight. I will say the files that matter are on the Treo. If yu reset the Treo in the middle of the update, yourself not when it does it by itself kills the update process ( as far as the carrierprofile) There is a backup copy in the backup folder but it is not what is used to update the treo perm. It finishes and has 255 but first hard reset it is back to 249, after hotsync it copies the files back but they are not in ROM.
    ok, so let me tell you how I usually do it:

hotsync first, hard reset, start updater, create a new username, it runs the updater at a one point it resets itself, then before the update is complete, it tells me that I have to sync it, so I sync it with the temp one, hard reset again and sync it with the original profile so I get all my PIMs back .(Meanwhile, I renamed the backup folder from the original profile).

so the question is: At that point during the updating process when it asks to sync it to finish the process, am I syncing it with the old username or the temp one?
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub
    ok, so let me tell you how I usually do it:

hotsync first, hard reset, start updater, create a new username, it runs the updater at a one point it resets itself, then before the update is complete, it tells me that I have to sync it, so I sync it with the temp one, hard reset again and sync it with the original profile so I get all my PIMs back .(Meanwhile, I renamed the backup folder from the original profile).

so the question is: At that point during the updating process when it asks to sync it to finish the process, am I syncing it with the old username or the temp one?
    Hoysync first, Hard reset, Hotsync again create new name "dummy", then start updater. Finish all the way. Then hard reset. Hotsync original name. Don't need to worry about copying backup folder stuff.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    True, this does allow incremental updating without needing to hit a home run with a new ROM. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

On this note, Palm would likely be developing a "Lite" updater which would only update these files.

I agree this probably revolves around the upcoming release of BB Connect. I don't think we will see any major s/w changes as our Treo 650s are "mature".

But, plenty of currently available software will probably need to be tweaked. This will cost the 3rd parties. I have read many reports of current software busting with ENA (KBLightsOff, etc).

This is similar to what Microsoft did to Windows XP SP2. You have software that is pre-SP2 & SP2 compatible. Ultimately this costed the 3rd party to redesign their software. But for the most part, it is still XP.

This isn't new, it is just part of the update/upgrade game. Yes 3rd parties need to upgrade, but it is just part of playing.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

4.    #104  
    This isn't new, it is just part of the update/upgrade game. Yes 3rd parties need to upgrade, but it is just part of playing.
    Yeah, I know. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

Being involved in s/w development for my company, it sux when wrenches get thrown without much warning. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...milies/eek.gif Microsoft did that with SP2. We knew it was coming out and tested on beta, but they changed so much of it at the last second. It was a large enough change that we had to rethink several of our components from the ground up. Over the long term, the biggest downside ended up being support. Just getting people to understand there has been a change. Generally speaking, people don't like change.
    Well it is not changing the ROM. I think it is just copying the files into the BUILTIN memory and leaving them there after a hard reset. Does that make sense to anyone?
    What is BuiltIn memory? ("A:" with Resco Explorer)
    What is the difference with Ram?
    Is it possible that a hard reset no delete it?
    1.Hotsync first,
    2. Hard reset,
    3. Hotsync again create new name "dummy"
    4. then start updater. Finish all the way.
    5. Then hard reset.
    6. Hotsync original name. Don't need to worry about copying backup folder stuff.
    So, if I understand this correctly, after step 4, the new CarrierDB files are in the Treo RAM but not in the Treo ROM. Doesn't the hard rest in step 5 erase all traces of the new CarrierDB files from everywhere?

Could someone please clarify where the new CarrierDB files make their appearance in the 6 step process?

They are not born in steps 1, 2, 3. Where (RAM, ROM, PC backup directory) are they after step 4 is completed? How about after Step 5? 6?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    So, if I understand this correctly, after step 4, the new CarrierDB files are in the Treo RAM but not in the Treo ROM. Doesn't the hard rest in step 5 erase all traces of the new CarrierDB files from everywhere?

Could someone please clarify where the new CarrierDB files make their appearance in the 6 step process?

They are not born in steps 1, 2, 3. Where (RAM, ROM, PC backup directory) are they after step 4 is completed? How about after Step 5? 6?
    It is not born in 1,2,3. The files to put them in ROM(?) are in RAM and on the Hotsync done with the updater running makes the programs run then the files survive hard reset and zero-out reset.

It is not born in 1,2,3. The files to put them in ROM(?) are in RAM and on the Hotsync done with the updater running makes the programs run then the files survive hard reset and zero-out reset.
    When that program runs, does it insert the files in the ROM?

If so, these details on how it eventually gets into the ROM is not of a huge importance to regular folks who don't do custom ROMS.

If your 6 step program works and results in all new files in ROM, then all is good, I suppose. These 6 steps are exactly what I use and recommend to most people.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    When that program runs, does it insert the files in the ROM?

If so, these details on how it eventually gets into the ROM is not of a huge importance to regular folks who don't do custom ROMS.

If your 6 step program works and results in all new files in ROM, then all is good, I suppose. These 6 steps are exactly what I use and recommend to most people.
    Yes it is copying it in ROM but I haven't figured out where, it does not change the ROM files. So for custom users this is an issue.

Like I said I did it three time last night watching how it works and it worked fine each time.

Has anyone checked if this new unlocked FW 1.71 is exactly the same as the cingular FW 1.71?...byte for byte do they match?
    Using the official updater with a cleaned hard reset Treo, the backup folder contains the following files:-

Blazer_Bookmarks.PDB
    Blazer_Field_Autofill.PDB
    Blazer_Find_Autofill.PDB
    Blazer_URL_Autofill.PDB
    CarrierProfiles2.PDB
    ConnectionMgr50DB.PDB
    CurrentCarrier.PDB
    Graffiti_ShortCuts.PRC
    HSTraceDatabase.PDB
    locLCusLocationDB.PDB
    locLDefLocationDB.PDB
    Messages_Database.PDB
    midataidcache.PDB
    MIDI_Ring_Tones.PDB
    NetworkDB.PDB
    NetworkProfiles2.PDB
    PhoneCallDB.PDB
    PhoneFavorites2DB.PDB
    psysLaunchDB.PDB
    Queries.PDB
    Saved_Preferences.PRC
    System_MIDI_Sounds.PDB
    System_Ring_Tones.PDB

Would that indicates these files were to be updated by the updater and somehow make these updates survice a hard reset and using custom rom would have skipped these updates ?
    So for custom users this is an issue.
    ....clip...
    Do you think there's hope?

Most of this that you have been discussing is over my head.
    So, this may be a dumb suggestion.
    After someone has done a complete clean Official Update, would it be possible to use a program such as filepc2pda to get all the files from ROM and make a custom out of that?

Forgive my ignorance, I just would like to see us get past this issue.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenChoi
    What happen when you do a hard reset ? Did you need to run the "official" updater again ?
    I know I never really got back to you. I see that many others have already drawn many conclusions since your post I quote. Since then (when you originally asked this question) I did a hard reset, and sure enough, as James also tested, the 255 is still there. (He also tested a Zero-out) I now am running a custom Rom, and somewhere along the lines, it reverted back to 249. So I just copied the files (Carrier DB and such) over manually. But now when I do a Hard Reset, it goes back to 249.
    From what I have read above, I beleive we have got "TOP MEN " working on a solution for Customs.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Do you think there's hope?

Most of this that you have been discussing is over my head.
    So, this may be a dumb suggestion.
    After someone has done a complete clean Official Update, would it be possible to use a program such as filepc2pda to get all the files from ROM and make a custom out of that?

Forgive my ignorance, I just would like to see us get past this issue.
    I don't know. If you copy the files and back them up you will have them after a restore. That is what I am doing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    I know I never really got back to you. I see that many others have already drawn many conclusions since your post I quote. Since then (when you originally asked this question) I did a hard reset, and sure enough, as James also tested, the 255 is still there. (He also tested a Zero-out) I now am running a custom Rom, and somewhere along the lines, it reverted back to 249. So I just copied the files (Carrier DB and such) over manually. But now when I do a Hard Reset, it goes back to 249.
    From what I have read above, I beleive we have got "TOP MEN " working on a solution for Customs.
    It's o.k.

I don't know. If you copy the files and back them up you will have them after a restore. That is what I am doing right now.
    Me too. Any idea as to my post #111 above ?
    The files you posted are not the ones used to update. They are transferred by the Installer program during the restore hotsync.

I have been looking at his and have found something to make this even more confusing. After a hard reset with a ROM that did not go through the inal hotsync during the updater, or a custom rom there is a file DelCarSetDb-DcsD that appears in RAM. In Filez under attrs for this file if you uncheck ResourceDB and OK the warning and save. It resets your Treo and then it is gone, and now.... You have carrierprofiles2 version 255!?!?!? If you hard reset it is back and you are running 249. So, it appears that it is not and update that runs during that final restore but a deletion of a file.

18.    #118  
    I have been looking at his and have found something to make this even more confusing. After a hard reset with a ROM that did not go through the inal hotsync during the updater, or a custom rom there is a file DelCarSetDb-DcsD that appears in RAM. In Filez under attrs for this file if you uncheck ResourceDB and OK the warning and save. It resets your Treo and then it is gone, and now.... You have carrierprofiles2 version 255!?!?!? If you hard reset it is back and you are running 249. So, it appears that it is not and update that runs during that final restore but a deletion of a file. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/confused.gif
    Actually, that might be the solution right there!! Sweet! http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

255 might have been embedded all along! The presence of DelCarSetDb-DcsD might prevent 255 from being activated into RAM. Might be some sort of forward compatibility solution. Palm might have developed this for future compatibility, but needed a way to mask it. That way one set of files can go through a more rigorous testing & QC, verses several different versions each with less available testing & QC.
    OK fellows,

It seems that there IS a problem related to version of CarrierDB. Let's summarize the information: If I understand correct what you find out and after some experiments I did by myself, version 255 IS IN THE ROM of 1.71 ENA update because it survives Hardware and zero out resets. BUT IT IS NOT FUNCTIONAL IN ROM so updater moves it to RAM by updating the files in Backup directory on your PC before the last hotsync for data restore. That's why it is overwritten with older version (249) during restore from SD card or if you use a temp profile during update. So if I think in the right way there should be a program in ROM that after a Hard Reset restores related to v.255 files back in RAM. Am I right? I haven't used any custom ROMs till now made from 1.71ENA but I cannot understand why they did not change CarrierDB related files to 255 version as it was reported by some people. Any suggestions on that?
    If what you are saying is correct then the instructions in
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=102
    won't work. You'll have to copy the files from the Backup of the Temp profile to the original profile.

Your description makes it impossible to restore correct files if starting from scratch, say if you re-build the PC without going through a firmware update process to give birth to these CarrierDB files !!

I don't know myself. I am sitting on the sidelines, learning how to deal with the next Cingular update.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast