Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Okay, am I missing a post saying what the problem is here? What difference does it make what the version of the CarrierDB is?
    Page 1 & 2 cover reasoning. It seems that many users who updated to 1.20 ENA but do not have CarrierDB 255 are experiencing stability issues.

I have seen posts of Treos randomly syncing, data pauses, and general crashing correlated with CarrierDB being at 249.
    CraniumFunk can you download something like sync wizard and then copy off the file "CapLib-poCL". This is where the carrierdb is recreated from. I want to see how this is happening.

Thanks.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    Considering my ROM has 255 & AmrDecLib embedded leads me to believe that Palm *did* update the ROM with these files. If that was Palm's intent, then the updater only needs to delete the older Palm files from the backup folder, leaving only 3rd party apps to be synced to Treo.

If you copied this "reduced" backup to your active profile, you would *not* be replacing the older Palm files.
    Ah. I get it now.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    CraniumFunk can you download something like sync wizard and then copy off the file "CapLib-poCL". This is where the carrierdb is recreated from. I want to see how this is happening.

Thanks.
    Here you go!! http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif
    Attached Files Attached Files
    When I ran the update, I renamed my backup folder before the Restore hotsync at the end of the process. I didn't want to get back all the junk accumulated in the backup folder. The carrier db remained at 249. So I ran the firmware update a second time, this time with the fresh backup folder created during the first time I ran the update. The carrier db changed to 255.

Now I have my contacts synched, but I have to reinstall apps and set my preferences everywhere - but that's what I wanted to happen.
    Well it is not changing the ROM. I think it is just copying the files into the BUILTIN memory and leaving them there after a hard reset. Does that make sense to anyone?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Well it is not changing the ROM. I think it is just copying the files into the BUILTIN memory and leaving them there after a hard reset. Does that make sense to anyone?
    Not as a long term strategy. It will get lost if the Treo gets reset and the files are not on the PC backup directory.

Basically, all files distributed by Palm should be in the ROM for the files to be there after hard reset.

Who amonst us has not done hard reset and installed clean after renaming the backup folder?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Not as a long term strategy. It will get lost if the Treo gets reset and the files are not on the PC backup directory.

Basically, all files distributed by Palm should be in the ROM for the files to be there after hard reset.

Who amonst us has not done hard reset and installed clean after renaming the backup folder?
    That was my thinking to but I set a test. Updated with Palm's updater. If I reset the Palm and kill the update the ROM is in place everything is fine but the three files are not there. If you do the hotsyncwhen done it copies the files and runs another script and then the files are there after a hard reset. That doesn't make sense to me but it is the case.

9.    #89  
    Actually. . .maybe.

First let me ask, are you suggesting that Palm has programmatically embedded the files into RAM? Possibly a last minute work-around for files that were not ready on the internal cut-off date for the final ROM to be compiled and sent to testing & QC?
    Actually. . .maybe.

First let me ask, are you suggesting that Palm has programmatically embedded the files into RAM? Possibly a last minute work-around for files that were not ready on the internal cut-off date for the final ROM to be compiled and sent to testing & QC?
    Yes, exactly what I am thinking. If it was in the ROM it would be there for the Custom ROMS. If I use the CAPLib from the LAP version in a ENA the version is 251. The version you posted it exactly the same as the one in the ROM and is 249. The 255 has to come from somewhere and survives a hard reset. The next thing I am going to try is see if it survives a zero-out reset.

I also think this is why the added the Don't restore from SD, Use the Hotsync method.

12.    #92  
    Yes, exactly what I am thinking. If it was in the ROM it would be there for the Custom ROMS. If I use the CAPLib from the LAP version in a ENA the version is 251. The version you posted it exactly the same as the one in the ROM and is 249. The 255 has to come from somewhere and survives a hard reset. The next thing I am going to try is see if it survives a zero-out reset.
    Interesting. . .Here is a bit of info to support this. Palm's website says the following:

"This update permanently takes up about 0.6MB (600KB) free space."
    This must be the overhead for this solution.

There must have been an economically justifiable reason for Palm to implement a non-standard solution. From a $$ perspective, which is what any large company cares about, it would cost them more to not do anything, than to develop a non-standard solution, even though this is sure to cost them with increase in tech support.
    ok...so can somebody posts exactly how this upgrade should be done? I'm really confused now. I don't mind re-installing the applications one by one again.
    It survives a zero-out reset as well.

Quote Originally Posted by horatiub
    ok...so can somebody posts exactly how this upgrade should be done? I'm really confused now. I don't mind re-installing the applications one by one again.
    Here is what I am doing. Before you start backup your current user. Then Hard reset. Create a dummy account like "dummy". Then hotsync dummy. Then start the update. Go through the whole update process, and sync dummy till it is all done. When done do another hard reset, hotsync and this time choose your other profile. Restore and your done.

isn't this the old way to upgrade? I think that's how I did it and it came back with 249. Also, before I synced with my original profile, I renamed the backup folder so it wont install the software.
  17.    #97  
    Palm has essentially created a "leach". I have seen this before (not Palm).

What SUX is this will hinder public innovation to enhance or extend the capabilites of the Treo 650. This can be a barrier as we are now less streamlined with Palm procedures.

**As a community, we will need to test & better understand what this solution is all about so we can account for this in future "non-official" releases.**
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub
    isn't this the old way to upgrade? I think that's how I did it and it came back with 249. Also, before I synced with my original profile, I renamed the backup folder so it wont install the software.
    That is what I have done 3 times tonight. I will say the files that matter are on the Treo. If yu reset the Treo in the middle of the update, yourself not when it does it by itself kills the update process ( as far as the carrierprofile) There is a backup copy in the backup folder but it is not what is used to update the treo perm. It finishes and has 255 but first hard reset it is back to 249, after hotsync it copies the files back but they are not in ROM.

Palm has essentially created a "leach". I have seen this before (not Palm).

What SUX is this will hinder public innovation to enhance or extend the capabilites of the Treo 650. This can be a barrier as we are now less streamlined with Palm procedures.

**As a community, we will need to test & better understand what this solution is all about so we can account for this in future "non-official" releases.**
    We have in a way, just put the files need in RAM, it is a pain but I can see that that file would from time to time need to be updated without having to release a whole update. I think this may be just be a new way to be able to update without having to do the whole ROM. Might make something like BB Connect able to be loaded and in ROM but not have to have several ROM versions floating around.

20.    #100  
    We have in a way, just put the files need in RAM, it is a pain but I can see that that file would from time to time need to be updated without having to release a whole update. I think this may be just be a new way to be able to update without having to do the whole ROM. Might make something like BB Connect able to be loaded and in ROM but not have to have several ROM versions floating around.
    True, this does allow incremental updating without needing to hit a home run with a new ROM. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

On this note, Palm would likely be developing a "Lite" updater which would only update these files.

I agree this probably revolves around the upcoming release of BB Connect. I don't think we will see any major s/w changes as our Treo 650s are "mature".

But, plenty of currently available software will probably need to be tweaked. This will cost the 3rd parties. I have read many reports of current software busting with ENA (KBLightsOff, etc).

This is similar to what Microsoft did to Windows XP SP2. You have software that is pre-SP2 & SP2 compatible. Ultimately this costed the 3rd party to redesign their software. But for the most part, it is still XP.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast