Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I think the file gets installed to the hotsynch folder by the ROM update program. After hardreset the file is 249 again.
    The files are not in rom, are in ram, if you update the phone using the SD method the funny number is 249.

Simply the palm updater sincronizes the new files when all proceed w/o troubles.

In any other case just download the files from this tread and install them.
    Sorry to veer off topic...I found the network select (in case anyone else's interested), it's here:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...803#post886803

Was able to install using resco explorer and it works perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by mani_lx
    I think the file gets installed to the hotsynch folder by the ROM update program. After hardreset the file is 249 again.
    This is absolutley the case. The 249 is what is stored in the ROM, this is an update after the ROM is written.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I got a crash/reset after installing this 255 version (I installed it with phone off and then did a reset and it was working fine), and it reverted back to 249 which is fine with me.
    You have to delete carrierprofiles2,networkdb, and networkprofiles2. Then copy over the same 3 files that are ver 255 and then it will stick when you reboot. I tried this and it worked fine.
  6.    #66  
    I am glad to see this discussion progressing in the right direction!! http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

Actually guys, 255 *is* in ROM. When I hard reset my Treo, I maintain *255*!! http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif I have upgraded about 5 ROW Treos now, all with the same results!

A version of these files is embedded in ROM, but these files are not actually operational in ROM. The working files are in RAM. When these files are present in RAM, then ROM will not overwrite RAM. If you delete the files from RAM, then ROM will re-create a working copy in RAM.

The systematic problem revolving around the Palm installer (and why I started this thread) is that the HotSync backup contains a copy of files in RAM. If the *active* HotSync profile is not used during the upgrade, then older files will exist in the backup and be synced over to RAM.

There is one *interesting* thing going on, when I delete CarrierProfiles2, Net_Prefs, NetworkDB & NetworkProfiles2, I drop down to *249*. But when I Hard Reset, I am back to *255*. There must be other files with a dependency to the Carrier DB which we have not yet identified.

Those of you that Hard Reset to 249, are you using a custom ROM? If so, was this created exclusively from the ENA installer? My guess is the ROM might have some files from LAP, APR, or somewhere else. Also, have you re-flashed the firmware with ENA version? The leaked firmware versions appear to be the same (1.71) as ENA firmware, but they might not be.
    I have been doing some poking around. I found where the files are loading in. In the update files there is cap*zip.pdb In that zip is the missing amr sound file and the two files needed for the carrier profile. In the zip is also a program to delete the current versions before copying the files. There is also an updated tips file. So 255 is supposed to be part of this version but must have been done after the ROM was finished. But we know it is "Official" now. BTW the CAPlib in ROM for the LAP version is 251 for anyone interested.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Aha, so my suggestion in http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=34
    will work.

If the files created in the backup folder of the temporary ID is coped over to the Backup folder of the old ID, then the Hotsync with the old ID will have these later files..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  9.    #69  
    When the ENA installer is run, I noticed the installer creates 2 new folders on the desktop named CapPackage & Checker.

CapPackage folder contains 4 files; CAPNoResetUpdateLib.prc, CapPackage.zip.pdb, PackageVersion.txt.pdb & ResourceSize.txt.pdb. Looks like these are synced over to the Treo along with the Checker during the upgrade.
    I did the 1.20 upgrade and did not use hotsync to restore anything. I used my backupbuddy to restore and I guess that put the 249 files on the Palm. I copied over the 3 files from post 19(It would not let me copy the .prc file.) I also had to copy over the amr sound driver as that was missing too. Mine stays at 255 now Seems like the data pauses with tmobile are gone.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    will work.

If the files created in the backup folder of the temporary ID is coped over to the Backup folder of the old ID, then the Hotsync with the old ID will have these later files..
    This *might* or *might not* work. I did not say it wouldn't. I indicated that testing would need to be done to better understand what the installer is doing, which takes time. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

I am still skeptical on it, since at the end of the update, we don't know if files were *removed* or *replaced* from the backup. If a copy of the backup was taken before the upgrade, then a comparison could be done between the two to answer this. I still have some colleagues Treos that need to be upgraded so maybe I'll test this. I'll post any results I find. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

There are still many unanswered questions, but as we continue to experiment with the installer, we get a better & more comprehensive understanding of the entire package. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif
  12.    #72  
    BTW - When I hard reset, AmrDecLib gets recreated in RAM.
    will work.

Yes this will work. Just did it.

Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    This *might* or *might not* work. I did not say it wouldn't. I indicated that testing would need to be done to better understand what the installer is doing, which takes time. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

I am still skeptical on it, since at the end of the update, we don't know if files were *removed* or *replaced* from the backup.
    I can't see how it would not work.

Say the normal ID I use is MyID. The backup folder for that ID has all kinds of files accumulated over time. In the past, after doing a ROM update under a temp ID (call it TempID), I would Hotsync to MyID and restore all files from this bacup folder.

With the latest update, after a hard reset, my Treo has the id TempID. As far as the installer is concerned, this is the way I use my Treo. After the ROM update, it apparently adds whatever files it needs to the backup folder for this TempID. That is the only way it can assure thet these extra files (that was not added to the ROM, for some reason) will always exist onmy Treo from now on.

So, if I take the contents of the backup folder of TempID after all the updating is completed and resets are completed.. and the dust has settled, and copy them to the backup folder of MyID, then I would be implementing the same changes to all future hotsyncs to MyID.

If this is how Palm has implemented this update, then this is the most boneheaded decision by them. It assumes that I will always have my PC's backup folder and/or the Treo alive so that these files that it shoehorned to the Backup folder after update keep living on either my PC or the Treo. This is a very screwey assumption.

I hope the Cingular update, when it happens is not a kludge like this one...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    OK, I too am a Cingular Locked user. Using Treo650-1.15-CNB Firmware: 1.31 on Hardware: A. I upgraded to 1.17 on my last Treo then started having problems and it died (not sure if 1.17 was to blame) so after Cingular sent me a Replacement 650, I have left it with the 1.15/1.31 that was installed. I'd like to update to a newer firmware and software, so I am curious... will Cingular be releasing this (1.20) version to their users? Any idea how soon that may be?
    No one knows for sure. Meanwhile 1.17 has been working very well for me. The dbCache management alone is worth it.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  17.    #77  
    I can't see how it would not work.

Say the normal ID I use is MyID. The backup folder for that ID has all kinds of files accumulated over time. In the past, after doing a ROM update under a temp ID (call it TempID), I would Hotsync to MyID and restore all files from this bacup folder.

With the latest update, after a hard reset, my Treo has the id TempID. As far as the installer is concerned, this is the way I use my Treo. After the ROM update, it apparently adds whatever files it needs to the backup folder for this TempID. That is the only way it can assure thet these extra files (that was not added to the ROM, for some reason) will always exist onmy Treo from now on.

So, if I take the contents of the backup folder of TempID after all the updating is completed and resets are completed.. and the dust has settled, and copy them to the backup folder of MyID, then I would be implementing the same changes to all future hotsyncs to MyID.

If this is how Palm has implemented this update, then this is the most boneheaded decision by them. It assumes that I will always have my PC's backup folder and/or the Treo alive so that these files that it shoehorned to the Backup folder after update keep living on either my PC or the Treo. This is a very screwey assumption.

I hope the Cingular update, when it happens is not a kludge like this one...
    Considering my ROM has 255 & AmrDecLib embedded leads me to believe that Palm *did* update the ROM with these files. If that was Palm's intent, then the updater only needs to delete the older Palm files from the backup folder, leaving only 3rd party apps to be synced to Treo.

If you copied this "reduced" backup to your active profile, you would *not* be replacing the older Palm files.
    aprasad, I guess you're saying I should do the update now and again when 1.20 comes out? What does the dbCache management do for you?
    Okay, am I missing a post saying what the problem is here? What difference does it make what the version of the CarrierDB is?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Okay, am I missing a post saying what the problem is here? What difference does it make what the version of the CarrierDB is?
    There are some data issues with TMo customers with the 249 version. 255 resolves them.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast