Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
  1. dyn
    Quote Originally Posted by aero310
    Also the SMS 160 chars limitation is still there. So obviously it's in there, either as a bug or a feature :-(
    What SMS bug do you mean?

Talking about SMS...the SMS alert dialog is different now. Before the update you only had 2 buttons: 'ok' and 'go to' and the dialog only told me I had a new SMS, nothing else. The new dialog has 4 buttons (reply, dial and 2 others) and I can read the SMS on the alert dialog. Anyone else noticed that too?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mani_lx
    OK folks, just copy these files to RAM and you'll have 255.

(I guess it's the first one which has the info but I copied all.
    Thanks for posting the files, mani_lx. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

I checked the CarrierProfiles2.pdb file using Resco Explorer to find it is version 255. Upon further testing, I backed up my Treo using Resco Backup, deleted the CarrierProfiles2.pdb, and rebooted. Low and behold, this file was automatically recreated in RAM as version *249*.

In order to get back to 255, I restored the 4 files from my backup as mani_lx had posted. It will *not* update by installing only CarrierProfiles2.pdb. So this confirms that installing the 4 files posted by mani_lx will resolve the CarrierDB issue!! http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif

-- Apparently, the Palm installer either forces the most recent versions of certain files into backup & RAM, or *collectively* removes all the dependent files from the HotSync backup, so the ROM will *correctly* recreate these.

So just to note, if it was possible for these 1 set of files to not get updated correctly to the Treo RAM, then chances are there are other sets of files that might not have updated correctly to RAM and therefore could be using an older version.

** If you are having stability issues, I STRONGLY recommend that you re-run the installer through your active HotSync profile to ensure ALL POSSIBLE FILES are updated as Palm intends them to be.**
    Last edited by CraniumFunk; 01/22/2006 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Fixed some mistakes.
    THIS IS DEFINATELY TRUE.

I did the upgrade the way the palm told us to do it LAST time by creating a temporary hotsync profile and such. Doing so caused all KINDS of problems (constant random resets, MMS sending bug, etc.)

I have since REINSTALLED the firmware upgrade using palm's methods and hotsyncing with my active profile (which required me to nearly EMPTY my 650 to make room for the updater). Since then (which has been about 4 hours) I haven't had a single reset, and my MMS capability has returned. Things seem to be very stable.

So, it is VERY important that you install this upgrade EXACTLY as palm describes.

Now I have to find all my registration keys to reinstall everything. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    There is no file named CarrierDB, neither in ROM nor in RAM. Probably, there is another file which has the Carrier DB information.

To check your version, go to Phone app > Menu > Options > Phone Info > More.
    I don't have a More button in the Phone Info page. Just an OK button to close it. See my sig. for my Treo details.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanWPowers
    THIS IS DEFINATELY TRUE.

I did the upgrade the way the palm told us to do it LAST time by creating a temporary hotsync profile and such. Doing so caused all KINDS of problems (constant random resets, MMS sending bug, etc.)

I have since REINSTALLED the firmware upgrade using palm's methods and hotsyncing with my active profile (which required me to nearly EMPTY my 650 to make room for the updater). Since then (which has been about 4 hours) I haven't had a single reset, and my MMS capability has returned. Things seem to be very stable.

So, it is VERY important that you install this upgrade EXACTLY as palm describes.
    That doesn't make any sense. What if a user had never installed any 3rd party applications or done anything other than use the Treo as a phone? That phone is essentially what you get after a hard reset ... Would he/she be unable to upgrade?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I don't have a More button in the Phone Info page. Just an OK button to close it. See my sig. for my Treo details.
    Are you running 1.20 ENA or the leaked 1.20 Chinese software? Only these will have the More button.

You can also see the version by using Resco Explorer to view the file info of CarrierProfiles2.pdb.
    Are you running 1.20 ENA or the leaked 1.20 Chinese software? Only these will have the More button.

You can also see the version by using Resco Explorer to view the file info of CarrierProfiles2.pdb.
    I'm running the current official Cingular 1.17 ROM. My CarrierProfiles2 version is 245, FYI.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  8.    #28  
    I'm running the current official Cingular 1.17 ROM. My CarrierProfiles2 version is 245, FYI.
    This issue only applies to 1.20 ENA update, not the Cingular update.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyn
    What SMS bug do you mean?
    For me its a bug when my messages are limited to 160 characters opposed to 1.13 when it splitted longer messages into several...
    That doesn't make any sense. What if a user had never installed any 3rd party applications or done anything other than use the Treo as a phone? That phone is essentially what you get after a hard reset ... Would he/she be unable to upgrade?
    Then that user who have no reason to use a temporary profile to run the upgrade, as they would have plenty of space free on the device. This problem only exists when you RE-hotsync after the upgrade to files that existed BEFORE the upgrade happened.
  11.    #31  
    This is *not* an issue of 3rd party apps. It is related to the fact that the HotSync backup folder has *Palm* files that as a group will be restored to the Treo over what should be the most recent files.

If the Palm installer is not used through the active HotSync profile, then the HotSync backup folder will not be upgraded with the newer files, or possibly older files removed so they can *collectively* be recreated from ROM. This appears to happen correctly only when all dependent files in RAM are not present. This is why a hard reset will restore to 255, but a HotSync will not.
    If I only want to restore my PIM data (contacts, memos, etc.) after the upgrade, can I rename/delete the Backup folder and do the upgrade? I'll reinstall the apps afterwards.

Will all the files be upgraded this way?

Thanks.
  13. dyn
    So just to note, if it was possible for these 1 set of files to not get updated correctly to the Treo RAM, then chances are there are other sets of files that might not have updated correctly to RAM and therefore could be using an older version.
    That's why I started from scratch and only used the old calendar, contacts, todo's, memo's and versamail (the accounts and the databases for my emails) that's just data and not files with some version.

Quote Originally Posted by aero310
    For me its a bug when my messages are limited to 160 characters opposed to 1.13 when it splitted longer messages into several...
    When there are 161 characters my Treo did and still does split the message into 2 messages.

I have to agree with CraniumFunk. If you have problems you might have synced back some old version of a file that makes the treo go bananas.
    This is *not* an issue of 3rd party apps. It is related to the fact that the HotSync backup folder has *Palm* files that as a group will be restored to the Treo over what should be the most recent files.

If the Palm installer is not used through the active HotSync profile, then the HotSync backup folder will not be upgraded with the newer files, or possibly older files removed so they can *collectively* be recreated from ROM. This appears to happen correctly only when all dependent files in RAM are not present. This is why a hard reset will restore to 255, but a HotSync will not.
    How about this as a sequence:

Hotsync. Hard reset. Hotsync to a temporary ID. Upgrade the firmware. Hotsync to the temporary ID. Copy all files in the Temporary ID's Backup folder to the original ID's Backup folder. Hard reset. Hotsync to the original ID.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew77
    If I only want to restore my PIM data (contacts, memos, etc.) after the upgrade, can I rename/delete the Backup folder and do the upgrade? I'll reinstall the apps afterwards.

Will all the files be upgraded this way?

Thanks.
    I would suggest you run the updater through your *active* HotSync profile and *exactly* as the Palm's instructions indicate. All of the Palm files, including PIM data, should upgrade successfully this way. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

You will need 14 MB free in RAM in order to run the updater. If you don't have the space, either delete some 3rd party apps or move them to an SD card. If you delete them, just re-install them after the upgrade.

Deleting *all* your apps, then reinstalling them post-upgrade is not necessary. Just be sure you have 14 MB free. The updater will check and exit if your Treo does not have enough space in RAM.
  16.    #36  
    How about this as a sequence:

Hotsync. Hard reset. Hotsync to a temporary ID. Upgrade the firmware. Hotsync to the temporary ID. Copy all files in the Temporary ID's Backup folder to the original ID's Backup folder. Hard reset. Hotsync to the original ID.
    Using 1.20 ENA updater, this would require some isolated testing to see exactly what the Palm updater is doing, which would ultimately take some time. We would need to determine exactly what the updater is doing to the backup folder & RAM (deletions, additions & replacements).

IMO, the most efficient solution would be to run the ENA updater through your active HotSync profile and continue to use this profile. This way the updater truly has access to all of the files that are associated with your everyday use (ROM, RAM, & HotSync Backup). Yes, this will take more time then simply restoring from a 3rd party backup after upgrading, but will ultimately provide the most long-term stability. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

If you are using a 3rd party Backup, like Resco Backup or BackupBuddy, I suggest you *not* restore your apps from pre-upgrade backups. You might as well retire (archive or delete) those backup sets. Instead, bite the bullet http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...milies/eek.gif and re-install everything manually, including setting preferences where they were not migrated. Then create new backups from that point forward.

1.20 ENA installer is the first of its kind with Palm!! I believe many of the problems that the Treo community are facing with this installer are a result of the new upgrade package.

It is rare that Palm changes their standardized methods during a products life cycle. Typically methodical changes are implemented with new products.
    Quote Originally Posted by aphormis
    After running update Blazer wont connect to Voadafone UK to let me surf web. Versamail collects mail OK. I have carrier 249 - i wander if that is a problem. Any ideas ??
    I'm on Voda UK too and had the same problem. What fixed it for me:

Menu>Options>Preferences>Advanced>Set Proxy

Uncheck the "Use default carrier proxy" so it looks like this:

http://homepage.mac.com/do0107/custo..._settings.html

The above worked for me (I'm able to connect) but not happy at all with Blazer after the update because it's crashed the phone 4 or 5 times. Also network search has been very slow on two occasions (do you see the same thing?).

EDIT: Really weird. I just looked again and now the "Use default carrier proxy" has disappeared - the only option is "Use custom proxy".
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    I'm on Voda UK too and had the same problem. What fixed it for me...
    Did you folks in the UK just use the standard USA update or did you find one specific for the UK?

I'm on Orange UK (updated to unbranded 1.13 ROW) but I'm being put off by the 'For North American customers only' labelling. When I follow the UK links I'm still only offerred 1.13. Is it safe to upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley
    Did you folks in the UK just use the standard USA update or did you find one specific for the UK?

I'm on Orange UK (updated to unbranded 1.13 ROW) but I'm being put off by the 'For North American customers only' labelling. When I follow the UK links I'm still only offerred 1.13. Is it safe to upgrade?
    The UK Palm site had both 1.13 and 1.20 when I looked. Here's the link to the latter:

http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/treo650update/overview.html

That's what I used.
    HI

Same here - i used the link to 1.20 on the Palm UK website. Which is the same. Same caveats as always - make sure u have an unlocked phone. 1.13-ROW

good luck
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast