1.    #1  
    I finally did the update. I figured it would be a good time to clean out all of the old junk I had on my Treo, so I set up a completely new Hotsync ID and am starting completely fresh. I have never used VolumeCare and have always complained about low volume.

I can't believe my ears. I have no question but that 1.20 has lower max volume than 1.13 did. This is both using the headset and the speakerphone. Touch tones are faster, but volume is softer at the max setting. This is unbelievable to me. They actually took a known problem and made it worse. Now I am certainly going to go and buy VolumeCare.

I know Jeff said he was going to do actual db comparisons. I'd look forward to see if his measurements match my ears.

Well done Palm.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    This seems odd since most are reporting better volume with the update or no change at all. I'm on Sprint so I don't have any firsthand knowledge. Have you tried to reinstall the update? That might help.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    The back speaker seems to be somewhat louder but overall there isnlt much improvement. I initially tisabled VC but after taking a couple calls in a restaraunt last night and barely being able to hear the caller I enabled it again. As usual VC helped a bunch.

I don't expect Jeff's measurements to prove that much since each Treo seems to be different (based on reports here on TC).
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I am finding better volume with the normal Handset speaker. I am unsure about the others (except Bluetooth, which is still low for me.)

VC is still very very useful for me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    I finally did the update. I figured it would be a good time to clean out all of the old junk I had on my Treo, so I set up a completely new Hotsync ID and am starting completely fresh. I have never used VolumeCare and have always complained about low volume.

I can't believe my ears. I have no question but that 1.20 has lower max volume than 1.13 did. This is both using the headset and the speakerphone. Touch tones are faster, but volume is softer at the max setting. This is unbelievable to me. They actually took a known problem and made it worse. Now I am certainly going to go and buy VolumeCare.

I know Jeff said he was going to do actual db comparisons. I'd look forward to see if his measurements match my ears.

Well done Palm.
    I noticed the same thing but... after a little investigation, this is what I found:
    Right after the update, all volume was extremely low, system, phone and ringtone.
    I went into VC and tried changing the settings... nothing.
    I disabled VC... volume louder than it was before the update.

Something seems a little fishy here but with VC disabled, all volume levels are louder than they were before. Jeff, can you verify this? I have 4.30 and I was on 1.13 / 1.51 before running the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard
    I noticed the same thing but... after a little investigation, this is what I found:
    Right after the update, all volume was extremely low, system, phone and ringtone.

Something seems a little fishy here but with VC disabled, all volume levels are louder than they were before. Jeff, can you verify this? I have 4.30 and I was on 1.13 / 1.51 before running the update.
    It could be that your default settings in VC are lower than the new default level in the ROM. But I can tell you that VC gives you much more volume (about 23 - 28 decibels) additional volume out of your Treo.

I hope tomorrow to have some real measurements to publish.

I have the following equipment to test with:

Sprint Treo 650: ROM 1.12
    ROW Treo 650: ROM 1.20
    ROW Treo 650: ROM 1.13 ( I need this release though. Can anyone publish a link?)

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard

Here is a link to volume measurements that I just made with different Treo ROMs with and without VolumeCare. Interesting results. I didn't have 1.13 any more to load but those results were very close to the CDMA handset results.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=887644&postcount=2194

Jeff
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Here is a link to volume measurements that I just made with different Treo ROMs with and without VolumeCare. Interesting results. I didn't have 1.13 any more to load but those results were very close to the CDMA handset results.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=887644&postcount=2194

Jeff
    Thanks. Jeff's link doesn't work - try this http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...postcount=2194

It seems that if 1.13 was same as cdma, Jeff confirms that 1.20 lowered volume from 1.13 without VC. I am now running trial of VC 5.20 (interestingly Treo info shows VolumeCare v.1.0)

VC greatly improves my volume, but sacrifices call quality. Are there any other setting which effect call volume on the Treo other than the rocker switch while on a call?

Thanks.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Thanks. Jeff's link doesn't work - try this http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...postcount=2194
    Tanks for ht elink change. Don't know what happened.

It seems that if 1.13 was same as cdma, Jeff confirms that 1.20 lowered volume from 1.13 without VC. I am now running trial of VC 5.20 (interestingly Treo info shows VolumeCare v.1.0)
    I do not change the internal version number field. It does not follow my release number format.

Also if someone can post a location where I can find 1.13, I will repeat the testing on this release.

VC greatly improves my volume, but sacrifices call quality. Are there any other setting which effect call volume on the Treo other than the rocker switch while on a call?

Thanks.
    There are many configuration possibilities in VolumeCare. Automatic mode works for many people, but you can also fine tune your call volume vs. clarity if you move into Advanced mode and use the "Side Button Toggles Volume Rocker". This way you can find the perfect volume/boost combination during a call.

Jeff

Thanks.
    I don't think you can assume that 1.13 GSM had the same output vs. level as 1.13 CDMA
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    I don't think you can assume that 1.13 GSM had the same output vs. level as 1.13 CDMA
    Just repeating what Jeff said, above.

Just repeating what Jeff said, above.
    The reason I say this is becuase I did a similar test with my unlocked GSM phone prior ot the 1.20 upgrade (I thought that was a 1.13 ROM). The results at that time were virtually the same with the handset as my CDMA phone. The reason I didn't publish those numbers with this latest data is because the test was not performed at the same time as this set of data. Also, previously, I had not performed the speaker phone test so I didn't ahve those numbers to publish. But I do feel very confident that the CDMA numbers published above for the handset volume represent a very close relationship to the numbers you would see from the previous GSM ROM release.

I will be glad to regather the numbers if I can get my hands on the proper ROM release.

Jeff