1.    #1  
    Last year, I wrote a utility to install Java midlets without going over-the-air. I didn't realize until now that many people were still resorting to awkward expedients to load ring tones. I've therefore added some documentation to my utility and released it as VFS Exchange 1.0. It is available at

http://csml.som.ohio-state.edu/~reed...xchange1_0.zip

Please pass it on to those without cheap airtime or otherwise need a HotSync/flash card method of installing ring tones. Or Java midlets!

VFS Exchange is a simple utility which feeds files from the Palm OS Virtual File System into the Exchange Manager. It allows one to install certain files into the appropriate application or database, which can otherwise be a hassle.

Some examples:

* MIDI (.mid) and WAVE (.wav) files can be installed into the sound database, for use as ringtones, on some devices such as the Treo 600 and 650.

* Java Midlets in .jar files can be installed into IBM's Java environment.

* Text (.txt) files can be imported into a memo.

* VCard (.vcf) files can be imported into Address Book/Contacts.

* VCal (.vcs) files can be imported into Date Book/Calendar.
    thanks!
    HI, thanks for this very usefull app!

After playing with it for a while though, I've found that I can't get it to load some midi's. However, I double checked by trying to load it via the file:///default method from blazer and I got the an error stating the midi is too large etc, so that explains that! However, I couldn't get the preview feature to work on any of the midi's, even the ones which were small enough? Finally, I was wondering if you could explain what the "switch application" feature does?

Anyway, this is a very usefull freeware app imo. Just to clarify though, I also was able to do all of this via Resco Explorer as well! You can open and transfer midi, jar/jad, pdf's docs, etc via the open with command on Resco, but vfsEchange is a nice freeware alternative too!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    does FILEZ have this function - MIDI from SD to RAM?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    does FILEZ have this function - MIDI from SD to RAM?

No, unfortunately. Resco Explorer is really the best uber solution for this on PalmOS. It really is an essential must have app imo...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    Yup, yup, VFS Exchange doesn't do anything signifigant that Resco Explorer doesn't. (Unless you're less interested in a useable preview than what Preview features an application supports. :-) I'm not certain if Explorer lets you exchange ("open") a file WITHOUT switching to the receiving application, but that's rather minor functionality. FileZ, however, can't do a local exchange.

> However, I couldn't get the preview feature to work on any of the midi's, even the ones which were small enough?

Preview is part of the Exchange Manager functionality. The only apps I know of that support an Exchange Manager preview, are Memo Pad, Calandar, and Contacts, which display a text-only preview of the first line. PalmSource has annouced that Preview functionality is going to change, so don't expect much.

> Finally, I was wondering if you could explain what the "switch application" feature does?

As described in the manual, if Switch Application is checked when you tap the Local button, the receiving application will be launched as well -- allowing you to, for example, immediately hear how your Treo plays a MIDI file, and delete it if sounds bad. This is the same as the "open file" function in Resco Explorer, except Explorer can open far more types of files than VFS Exchange.
    Thnaks for the explanations.

8.    #8  
    I've added code which allows you to select the data type (MIME type) of a file, and the application to import it. This is useful if the extension is missing or you have more than one application which can import a given type.

http://csml.som.ohio-state.edu/~reeder/VFSExchange/