Does any one else have problems with their 650 restarting on its own. For the last week mine has been doing it maybe 5 or 6 times a day, it's really getting on my nerves.
    If it's a Cingular (or any GSM) it could be the SIM tray
    http://www.cingular.com/simtray

Did you install any 3rd party software?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    what error codes are you getting?
    Me too. Constant resets and dropped calls, incoming calls going straight to VM without notice. I've changed SIM trays, sim cards, deleted all programs, REPLACED PHONE---still same problems. Cingular unlocked to TMO so Cingular runs from problem, TMO rightly says they didn't sell the phone and Palm has replaced the phone. What do I do? Can't afford to abandon...help
    Harvey
    I had this badm but I also have lots of software too. The final app was shark messenger. Bittersweet divorce on that. The new firmware on Thursday actually inspired me to reload and nothing since.

After all these years with Treo's and resets the only real advise is look at applications that intercept the ringer...aka CallShield or Lightwav.

Verichat was bad for years but that's not an issue anymore. I did use Crash Pro to figure out Versamail just doesn't like some attachments and would reset. Try using the demo for Crash Pro. CallFilter is a good suspect if you have it. Any program that's would be triggered by a phone call or SMS is the place to start digging.

Derek
    Derek

Treo 180 --> 270 --> 600 --> 650 --> 680 -- Pro ( )
    You are WAY,WAY over my head. I currently have no apps and still have the problem. Using no more than two sylable words, what do I do?
    Thanks,
    Harvey
    On rereading my response seems rude and abrupt. It wasn't meant to be, I am just woefully low tech and uh, uh, you are not. Help
    Harvey
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey
    On rereading my response seems rude and abrupt. It wasn't meant to be, I am just woefully low tech and uh, uh, you are not. Help
    Harvey
    Perform a hard reset. You'll lose all personal data.

Press the red power button and press the reset button. Release the red button after the round palm logo has appeared. Select Yes to erase all data.

If the phone still misbehaves, it is bad hardware.

You could try updating the firmware
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl.../cingular.html

and see if that helps.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Thanks. I have done that (hard resets) several times and have gotten a new phone from Palm that has the same symtoms/problems as before. I have erased all third party aps that did not come with the 1st and then 2nd phones, new sim trays with shims, without shims, new sim cards. etc. ad nauseum. What are the odds of having two, consecutive bad hardware TREO 650s. I synch at home and office with XP and Win 2000. Is any of this important to understanding the problem? At my wit's end I remain,
    Harvey
    PS The exact problem: when I dial with keypad, dial pad or favorites the call will not complete and the screen goes back to dial pad. Incoming calls cannot be received or recognized as they go straight to VM without notice (this is the most dangerous of the flaws as you cannot know what you do not know, etc.)(this is the failure that is going to drive me from Treo) The solution, once I know that the phone has "locked up" is to turn off the phone/ turn on the phone and this often, but not always, clears the problem. It also appears that time, sometimes as long as ten minutes will solve the problem. The incoming calls that were received by my "stealth" Voice Mail system while the system was "locked up" will then be acknowledged a few minutes later!
    Oh, one other thing. Palm told me to Hard Reset and Do Not Synch for twenty four hours to see if problem occurs. Yes within ten minutes of Hard Reset with no synch same failure to complete calls, recieve calls.???????????????
    Harvey
    I have my service through sprint. I have Ringo pro, sudoko, and solitare installed on mine. I performed the hard reset and ran the phone like that for at least 5 or 6 hours and it still did it a couple of times. I just performed a sync and all those programs reinstalled theselves on their. Is their anyway of not getting them on there with my next sync? Also could it be Ringo causing this? Sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm new to the whole Treo scene.

Thanks
    ---Diego
    Do a hard reset then go into the palm desktop and set up a different name to use as as test name. Then when you hot sync choose the new name you made. Now there will be nothing sent to the Treo from your computer and you can see if the Treo still has problems. Then you can add programs one at at time, keep testing and try to see what is causing the problem.
    Thanks. I have done that with both previous phones and NOT loaded any third party aps not already included in the original phone. Same problem persists, both times. Light goes from green to orange (without notice) sometimes too. Is that a different problem or is it symtomatic of the same problem without the light change?
    Harvey
    I'm out of ideas (beyond getting a new SIM, SIM tray with rib, hard reset).

Are you in a good signal strength area? Any other Cingular non-Treo phones that work well near there?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    If LED is going from blinking green to orange, sounds Like a poor signal which would cause those behaviors. How many bars do you see?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    A long time TMO customer from Visor days I left for Cingular to get the 650. The Cingular service at my office and home was zero (should have taken a test drive) after complaints to Cingular with engineering test (?) proving poor signal I opted, with Cingular's help, for unlock to TMO. Tedious but finally done. TMO signal strenth excellent, as always. My TMO experience is that poor or no signal strenth gives a message but not an orange light. I will reread the Manual. The point: good TMO strength and well meaning, well informed staff but Cingular has neither. I am in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas. Could the unlocking have caused the issue? The Palm replacement phone was Cingular too so it too had to be unlocked.
    Harvey