Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello everyone.

Has anyone else noticed this strange SMS/MMS bug? When I insert a emoticon using the little smiley face icon on the bottom of the compose section - instead of coming up with the emoticon face it just plops the alphanumeric characters instead.

So, instead of seeing the question mark face guy, I get :-/

This was never the case until the firmware upgrade. Anyone else?

Ryan
    Mine has always been that way through several Palm issued and leaked and custom ROMs. It shows the characters when composing but in the chat mode it shows the emoticons. All phones send and receive the characters and the ones with the capability translate them into an emoticon.
    Same here, it has always behaved that way that I can remember.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I think this is definitely a bug. I have old SMS threads from before the update that show emoticons and after they are just the characters. Too bad, but with all of the improvements the update brings, I can live with it.
    My Treo's Stats:
    650 Unlocked/Unbranded GSM <br>1.71 Firmware w/ 1.20 ENA
    Carrier: Cingular
    Current BT Headset: Treo Wireless
    GPS: TomTom5 + BT338
    I didn't understand what you meant at first, there is change. I don't know if it is a bug or a change. They still show up in the thread view.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    I noticed it after 1.71 leaked firmware. Haven't tried it with 1.20 yet.
    Maybe it depends on the customizing of the carriers. Mine is ROW/ENA and always behaved as described.
  9.    #9  
    I think it's definately a bug as well. Messages in the chat view BEFORE the update have emoticons, any message I sent AFTER the update just have the characters which are not being translated to faces.

How is it that they manage to screw something like that up?!
    I thought there was an option for that in the preferences somewhere? I don't have the Treo on hand, it's in the other room, but I'm quite sure I've seen an option to show them or not.
    In the messaging app go menu/preferences/network and check Automatically collect MMS messages. That should solve your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    In the messaging app go menu/preferences/network and check Automatically collect MMS messages. That should solve your problem.
    Thanks for the offered tip, but my preference is already checked. More importantly though, what do MMS messages have to do with converting SMS text strings into graphic emoticons?
  13.    #13  
    Same for me. Option's already checked - and no translation to emoticons.

Ugh.

This update has been a NIGHTMARE for me.
    I spoke too soon. Mine was working fine and when I unchecked the box to see if could find the problem I got the same situation and I posted before I checked it again. I still have the problem. Strange though, in the list of message threads the icons show but when the chat thread is open they don't. Definitely a bug. Lots of small problems which is annoying after waiting so long. Can't imagine how buggy it must have been before they released it.
    Ok, my previous claim was inaccurate. I had only used a single sent message to test this bug. I just went back to double check a thread, just as JGM pointed out, emoticon gone.

I'm having a heck of a time with this upgrade too. Blazer resets ALL THE TIME. It seemed more stable after another hard reset followed by a clean install......until I added Butler.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo
    Ok, my previous claim was inaccurate. I had only used a single sent message to test this bug. I just went back to double check a thread, just as JGM pointed out, emoticon gone.

I'm having a heck of a time with this upgrade too. Blazer resets ALL THE TIME. It seemed more stable after another hard reset followed by a clean install......until I added Butler.
    Doh! I hadn't noticed it was missing until I read this thread
    Blazer resets for me too
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Anyone find a fix for the missing emoticons? Some of mine work......some of the time.
    Not only emoticons.

New Line character (enter) is incorrectly displayed in some cases under chat mode display.

eg: under chat mode (NOT new sms), type:
    abc
    xyz
    You will see abc[]xyz ([] is a box character). The "new line" character is messed up.

However, if display the SMS under normal mode (not chat mode), it displayed correctly.
    I have it on good account that Palm are aware of this and will release a patch to fix it in the future
    AUSPUG Melbourne Co-Ordinator
    Visit us at...
    Australian Palm Users Group
    YES,

Deffinitely a BUG

My FW 1.71 1.20 ENA

The smilies no longer show up on threaded SMS view. Can somebody figure out a fix. Probably some file is removed from the stripped ROM we all installed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast