Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I downloaded an eBook from NY Public Library last night and I can't figure out how to install the file to be read. It's an Adobe Reader file. I know that I have to install Adobe Reader for Palm but I tried getting it from the site and it keeps giving me the actual free software for the computer, not for Palm OS (I'm using a Mac OS). Everytime I click on Adobe Reader for Palm OS, it keeps directing me to the Mac OS app. So a couple of questions:

1. Do I have to convert the file from .xtd (I forgot the file format after I dowloaded the eBook) to .pdf to be able to read the docs?

2. If I do need to convert it, does anyone have the Adobe Reader for Palm?

3. Is there another eBook/eDocs app that I can view the files as a text file?

Thanks.
    Sony Clie N610C • Sony Clie N710C • Sony Clie UX50 • Palm Tungsten T|5 • Locked Cingular Treo 650 • Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    The desktop application compresses the files to be read by the Palm Adobe reader application.

1. Open the desktop application.
    2. Use the ADD button to select files
    3. HotSync

Read this:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...erforpalm.html

Adobe Reader for Palm OS conveniently reflows Adobe PDF text to fit and be easily read on small screens, while preserving graphics and images.

Adobe Reader for Palm OS includes two components that work together:

* The desktop application (and conduit during HotSync®) runs on your desktop computer. It prepares PDF files for the Palm OS and transports them to the user's handheld device.
    * The reader is the Palm OS application that runs on the Palm OS device, designed to accommodate the characteristics of small-screen devices.

Three versions of Adobe Reader for Palm OS are available for download.
    Version 3.05

* Supports Macintosh and Microsoft® Windows® operating systems
    * Displays color Adobe PDF files on color Palm OS devices
    * Allows the transfer and viewing of Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) protected eBooks
    * Allows access to Adobe PDF files from various storage devices
    * Displays Adobe Photoshop Album slide shows
    * Enables printing using the EFI PrintMe network (English version only)
    * Available languages: English (French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish to follow)

Note: Adobe Reader for Palm OS, version 3.05 is recommended to be used in conjunction with Adobe Reader 6.0, Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional, or Acrobat 6.0 Standard to experience the full product functionality. Prior to installing Adobe Reader for Palm OS, version 3.05, we recommend that you delete previous versions of Acrobat Reader on your Palm OS device.
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL
    Do I have to convert the file from .xtd (I forgot the file format after I dowloaded the eBook) to .pdf to be able to read the docs?
    Forgot to mention

e-books are *.pdb files
    adobe's are *.pdf files

xtd is an XML Type Definition
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Forgot to mention

e-books are *.pdb files
    adobe's are *.pdf files

xtd is an XML Type Definition
    So basically, what I need to do first is install Adobe Reader in my Treo, then install the .xtd file after and open it within the Adobe Reader for Palm in my Treo? I was able to render the .xtd file after I opened it in my computer and it converted to .pdf file. Then it asked me to sign in for permission to digital rights after it was rendered.

I used PalmPDF to view the rendered version and it gave me an error saying it is missing a file. Does that mean the files I rendered were strictly meant to open using Adobe Reader even though it's a .pdf?
    Sony Clie N610C • Sony Clie N710C • Sony Clie UX50 • Palm Tungsten T|5 • Locked Cingular Treo 650 • Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    Can he use the simple and free PalmPDF to read these files?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL
    So basically, what I need to do .....
    ....to read PDF files on the Treo is follow the instructions above in blue type.

1. Install, the Adobe for Palm application ON THE DESKTOP.
    2. Hotsync'ing will put the necessary app on the Treo.
    3. Open the files in the DESKTOP application and it will convert the PDF's to a format easily readable on your Treo screen.

Alternately you can use this but the footprint is bigger than the adobe app.

Now a for your xtd files, sounds like you need an xtd reader not a pdf reader. Start here:

http://filext.com/alphalist.php?extstart=^X
    I strongly urge you to try PalmPDF. Most of it (except 50 kB) camn be installed on the SD card.

No conversions needed. It reads native PDF files.

http://www.metaviewsoft.de/en/Softwa...eware/PalmPDF/
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I agree, adobe reader for palmos is garbage. Instead try PalmDPF, DTG8, or the forthcoming Picsel Viewer which all support native pdf without the need for desktop conversions...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Ok. I'll try all your suggestions. Thanks for all your help.

As far as the .xtd file, I'm not sure if that's the file extension of the ebook after I downloaded it from NY Public Library site. I think it's something else. I'll try downloading another ebook and I'll follow the steps you suggested. I'll make another post whether I can successfully open and read the converted .pdf file using PalmPDF, or if I run into more problems. Thanks again!