1.    #1  
    Can a 650 be synced to a Mac using iSync or can I only use Hot Sync?
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Screw iSync it's a piece of junk now... your better to go with missing sync by markspace http://www.markspace.com syncing contact/appointment/tasks is way more accurate with missing sync because they actually took the time to properely map the field between the Treo 650 and Apple iCal/Address Book you can even sync pictures, folder,itunes music if you don't have an iPod and folders but mind you it's slow when syncing large files.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by blee4
    Screw iSync it's a piece of junk now... your better to go with missing sync by markspace http://www.markspace.com syncing contact/appointment/tasks is way more accurate with missing sync because they actually took the time to properely map the field between the Treo 650 and Apple iCal/Address Book you can even sync pictures, folder,itunes music if you don't have an iPod and folders but mind you it's slow when syncing large files.
    Looks like a sweet app but I cant shell out $40 for it right now. Maybe in a few weeks. Thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Anyone know of an free app that can sync my contacts in address book to Treo the correct way? I need something for the time being until I can purchase Missing Sync.
    iSync will do it in conjunction to Palm Desktop. You just have to install the iSync conduit. its completely free.
    -- Go Illini!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfoster
    iSync will do it in conjunction to Palm Desktop. You just have to install the iSync conduit. its completely free.
    Yes but I read that iSync screws up the contacts when it brings em over.
    I guess that depends on what features of AddressBook.app you use. I've never had any problems. Tread Lightly.
    -- Go Illini!
    Even though I use missing sync now, I never had any problems with iSync back when I used it. It worked as advertised.

Missing Sync is certainly much more feature rich though.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    ...Missing Sync is certainly much more feature rich though.
    What would you say are the additional rich features? I've been using iSync since the Treo 600 and found it more reliable than Missing Sync was on the O2 and a Mac
    Much of this depends of *which* iSync you're using: under Panther (10.3.x), it's fine to use, though extra fields (birthday, IM, and multiple addresses) don't sync. Under Tiger (10.4.x), iSync has been known to lead to all kinds problems, because of the implementation of "Sync Services" as a native part of the OS, and Palm's flaky integration with that service. Hence, if you have Tiger and want to sync to the Mac Apps, The Missing Sync is pretty much the only way to go.

But, as others have mentioned, The Missing Sync does rock. What's go great? Well, read this, and also check out the comparison against HotSync Manager.

The biggest benefits I've personally seen:
    • Sync Profiles allow for "Install only", "PIM only," etc. settings, and you can have which conduits synchronize depend on the connection type (so it'll automatically do a bare-bones sync, for example, if you're synching over Bluetooth).
    • Under Tiger, Missing Sync synchronizes all addresses (Home/Work/Other), birthday/IM fields, and even photos assigned to your contacts from the Mac Address Book. iSync can't do any of this.
    • Calendars in iCal become Calendar categories on the Treo.
    • Address Groups in Address Book become Contacts categories on the Treo.
    • You finally have a way to sync memos outside of Palm Desktop or Entourage.
    • Folder Sync eliminates the need to use the buggy Documents to Go conduit.
    • Internet connection sharing via Bluetooth comes in handy more than I thought (yes, I sometimes am too lazy to move 30 feet to just use the computer to check something online).
    • iPhoto/iTunes sync makes it ridiculously easy to get photos & music onto the Treo.
    • Mark/Space *actively* works to make their product better, and readily responds to user questions.

I was also unsure whether $40 for a HotSync replacement would be worth it, but put up the cash since I wanted proper synchronization with the Mac Apps under Tiger. It's done just that along with many other benefits to boot.

I realize that this makes me look like a shill for Mark/Space, but The Missing Sync really is that good.