1.    #1  
    Would you guys be able to compare the security of Sprint BC (personal edition where you desktop is left running with an email redirector) vs. a blackberry infratructure (devices + dedicated server).

I'm trying to convince corporate to allow me to use BC on my 650 even though blackberry is the only approved email device.
    With Biz Conn, your computer may be running all the time, but you can certainly lock it which leaves it just as secure as if you were sitting there. Our Director of Technology as well as our top network administrator both have Treos with Biz Conn running. They are very tight with security. So, if they don't have a problem with it, I would say leaving your computer on, but locked, is very secure. We have changed all our administrator usernames/passwords on our computers so that only a few people know them. So with out the users credentials or knowing the admin credentials, there's not much a person can do. The machine is still protected from the outside with our firewall and security software. Our network consists of 52 campuses with thousands of machines.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petesamprs
    Would you guys be able to compare the security of Sprint BC (personal edition where you desktop is left running with an email redirector) vs. a blackberry infratructure (devices + dedicated server).

I'm trying to convince corporate to allow me to use BC on my 650 even though blackberry is the only approved email device.
    Remind your IT guys that security won't be an issue when your BB is shut down after the 30 day window expires

Treo 650 baby
  4.    #4  
    Tell me about it - can't wait till blackberry's get shut down and this market gets competitive again.

But I'm not talking about the security of someone who can access my computer. That security concern is independent of BC or blackberry since if you access my computer you can see my email regardless.

My concern is more on Sprint's side of the equation. With our blackberries (i think), email comes into our servers, goes to blackberry server and then is pushed out to my device via Cingular's network (my provider). With BC, it comes into the desktop, and then redirector sends it to treo via sprint network. Seems to me like it's the same in terms of security...ie, both still have to rely on a 3rd party's network. Am I missing something here?
    I really like BC... I haven't used a blackberry so I don't know it compares. They have an enterprise edition of BC (I'm using the personal edition that requires I run the desktop agent). The enterprise edition works like the BlackBerry server as far as I know. I would assume it's as secure in principle as the BlackBerry, but you'd have to really analyze and test the software to do a real comparison.
    Biz Con uses (at least last time I had looked) triple DES end-to-end encryption. That means all data is encrypted from the time it leaves your computer (I use personal edition) until the time it is unencrypted on the Treo. I believe Blackberry encrypts too. A plus for the Treo is that it does not make a stop on a server in another country the way Blackberry's does. Blackberry is extremely secretive about the exact location of its servers. I'm not sure if sprint is too. But, so long as the data is fairly strongly encrypted, that is good enough for me. Sprint used to have a white paper on its site related to BC security. I would have a look for that document.
    They used to have a stand-alone white paper devoted to security. Now all I can find on their site is a features white-paper that includes a small section on security. I tried to attach it to this post, but i kept getting an error.
    We're going through the same thing (trying to get approval for devices other than a BB, and since I carry a BB and a Treo, I'd like to use BizCon.)

But one of the main issues that I have pushing the Treo as compared to BB is the security ON the handheld. BizConn doesn't enforce password security on the Treo, while the BB can be enforced with a policy pushed to it automatically.

So if our IT policy is a password with a special character, a number, and 5 letters, that can be enforced on the BB. Not so on BizConn with a Treo.

And if I lose my BB, and someone enters the wrong password twice, it's wiped automatically. Again, I know some after-market Treo stuff can possibly do this, but not as good as the BB has it setup.

Maybe when they roll out BB for the Treo, that will solve these issues, but until then, it's just not going to fly.

(And I work for a firewall design/implementation very large US bank that obviously wants to ensure your records are very safe and secure.)
  9.    #9  
    MrCoffee,
    You are in the exact situation I'm in. Large US bank (notorious about security), and stuck carrying a treo and blackberry. I agree about the blackberry's more strict password requirement (mine is 10 tries, not 2).

I guess we'll just have to wait for something on treo, as if we haven't waited long enough.