Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I thought I would start this thread for people that haven't been using custom ROMs or the official software upgrades released from Palm to share their experiences with the 1.20 update released on Jan. 18 for unlocked GSM phones http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...lockedgsm.html

Being not so daring and pretty happy with 1.13, I'm curious as to people's experiences after upgrading to 1.20 - positive or negative - and if there are big benefits in doing the upgrade.

Thanks.
    update was smooth and easy for me. needed to remove some unused apps to free up memory. browsing is much faster now. audio quality is good. since i just did it last night i can't speak to whether bluetooth is any better. under 1.13 and earlier my treo had a tendency to forget that it was paired with the treo headset. 1.13 was stable for me.
    And so far, there were two reports said that the volume is a lot better than 1.13, to a point the user dumped VC for good
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, about once a day I have to turn off bluetooth, then turn it back on so it recognizes my Jabra 250 again. I even set a favorite button for Bluetooth so I can access it quickly. That alone may be a good reason to upgrade to 1.20.

I love VolumeCare, my favorite app next to ChatterEmail. But if I don't need VC anymore, that would be nice too.
    I'm really interested in the volume issue. Anyone with personal experiences upgrading from 1.13 to 1.20 would be appreciated. I don't use VolumeCare now and have been waiting (out of spite) for this upgrade to fix the volume issue. Anyone think that upgrading to 1.20 makes VC unnecessary? A volume fix would be about the only reason I would justify the risk/hastle of upgrading.

Thanks
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    What are the improvements in Versamail F? I am running C and it full of bugs.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    I didnt use any of the pre - release roms, so upgrade from 1.13.

It went smoothly.

I backed up to sd card.
    I hard reset.
    I synced and selected another name.
    Ran the patch using the second name.
    Hard reset again.
    restored from sd.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    What are the improvements in Versamail F? I am running C and it full of bugs.
    Versmail F is, I think a typo on the palm site, as the euro site that I used to down load my updater from said it was E, which is what everybody else is saying. Palm update for generic GSM phones

I'm still using volumecare on my 1.71/1.20 gsm treo, not sure if I need to, but walking alongside lots of traffic, it's hard to hear on any phone.

I think the DBCache handling is better, as I run tom tom 5.201 on a separate sd card & when I swopped cards I would always have to reset the phone as there was 'not enough DBCache to run this app'. Now I can swap to my hearts content & no DBCache error This alone is the killer app for me. My Treo hasn't reset for weeks (other than me resetting it every day to use tom tom!)
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    I updated last night (from 1.13) and that part went well. However, when I re-synced my old backup files, the unit went into a constant reset mode. A hard reset eliminated that and today I've been re-installing all my stuff one app at a time. So far, so good. I have ZLauncher, BackupBuddy VFS, DataVis Tech Tool, dbScan, DateBk5, Chatter, Docs to Go, DA, HandiTrack, Java RunTime, Nexus, Solitaire, and I've reinstalled VolumeCare. The volume is better than original, but I like the versatility VC provides, plus it does still boost the volume more than stock. No resets (since re-installing one-by-one), but it's all very new.

Edit: By the way, I moved everything to the SD card that I could and end up with 13.2 megs left.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    Well so far I have had at least 3 crashes...thinking it is the autocheck of versamail I deleted all those files and i have still had one of those crashes after that...
    worst is other than when i ran something huge like mapopolis i was very very stable...maybe one crash in a week or 2....now in 12 hours...at least three
    You can now assign your own WAV and AMR ringtones to favourites! Hooray!!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    You can now assign your own WAV and AMR ringtones to favourites! Hooray!!
    Can you assign wav and amr ringtones to your each person in your contacts? Or do you do this somewhere else?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    So far, Bluetooth is much improved for me.

Using a Moto hs810 headset and Incoming/Outgoing calls are automatically transfered from the phone to the headset, all the time. Also, I can make more than 3/4 calls from the headset without needing to reset the phone. (It would lose my headset connection in the past and required a warm reset to correct).
    Can you assign wav and amr ringtones to your each person in your contacts?
    No, you have to assign the person as a speed-dial to a Favourites button on the phone screen. Then select a ringtone.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Volume and BT are definitely improved, but I am experiencing way too many resets (6+ today). From programs that didn't cause instability with 1.13 (e.g. LX, PTunes, Web, Phone). I may be forced to perform a clean install, but I'll look into versamail auto sync.

I noticed a new step during BT pairing. After entering the passcode post pairing, there is an additional selection step, a choice between hands-free or car kit.
    I upgrade to LAP version and I get Versamail 3.1F.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo
    Volume and BT are definitely improved, but I am experiencing way too many resets (6+ today). From programs that didn't cause instability with 1.13 (e.g. LX, PTunes, Web, Phone). I may be forced to perform a clean install, but I'll look into versamail auto sync.
    I needed to to a clean install, but everything has been rock solid since. It's a pain, but you'll probably be a lot happier. The HotSync process seems to be faster, too (both via cable and Bluetooth).
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Ok this is a strange one so I upgrade to the new firmware straight from palms site no custom roms or anything... upgrade screws up the first time I get and error no biggie I hard reset my phone and do it again. Second times a charm all is well. I restore from my backup but instead of using Palm Desktop I use missing sync for Mac cuz I'm on a mac. No problems there all is fine the only thing I noticed is as soon as I'm done restoring from backup my Treo 650 askes me to rest with a dialog box I say ok. It resets and everything again is fine, I call my Treo 650 from my home land line and here's the kicker instead of playing my regular known/unknown caller tones it plays the Roaming tone weird eh? Just to make sure this is actually whats happening I turn the Roaming tone to NONE, call myself again and there's no sound even though I have my phone sound unmuted??? Anyone else experience this or have a fix?
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I haven't had a chance to play with the update yet: But installing the new firmware was a nightmare for me. First attempt: I had to free up more memory. Second attempt: I had to remove the SD card. Third attempt: Hotsync stopped working. The firmware upgrade would not proceed until I did a hard reset because at this point I had to remove all the files that the upgrade process had put on my Treo. I also had to rename the backup folder so that these files wouldn't be put back on my Treo.

Hours later I finished the upgrade process.

Now Intellisync won't sync. I've just purchased the latest version of Intellisync and have my fingers crossed that it works.

But Pocket Tunes works fine on my upgraded Treo 650 and that's really all that matters...
    Gee I can't wait to do the upgrade myself after reading all this
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast