Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    The upgrade definitely improved radio reception and bluetooth operation. Fixed a problem with extra digits in my BMW handsfree that would cause continual resets if extra digits were present in a favorite (though now there's a bug where extra digits results in a weird address book entry in the iDrive screen). Also, the signal strength indicator now works on the iDrive comms screen.
    Guys,

Like many of you I want to start from scratch with this, and reinstall my apps by hand, one by one.

BUT I do want to restore my PIM data (Tasks/Cal/Contacts). Which databases do I need to restore? (I have RBackup)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbroberg
    Guys,

Like many of you I want to start from scratch with this, and reinstall my apps by hand, one by one.

BUT I do want to restore my PIM data (Tasks/Cal/Contacts). Which databases do I need to restore? (I have RBackup)
    Before you do your upgrade find your backup folder on your computer C:\program files\palmone\"user name"\backup and rename it. Hotsyncing after the upgrade will restore all your PIM information only. If you have any problems and need your backup folder again just change its name back again. If you are happy with everything after awhile you can probably just delete as a new backup folder will be created.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I ran update with no problems or resets. Previously I had a custom 1.20 row. Bluetooth runs fine so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    I'm really interested in the volume issue. Anyone with personal experiences upgrading from 1.13 to 1.20 would be appreciated. I don't use VolumeCare now and have been waiting (out of spite) for this upgrade to fix the volume issue. Anyone think that upgrading to 1.20 makes VC unnecessary? A volume fix would be about the only reason I would justify the risk/hastle of upgrading.

Thanks
    I just did a quick test and here are the findings:

Handset volume max decibles w/o VolumeCare: 82
    Handset volume max decibles with VolumeCare: 110

In audible terms every 10 decibles = a 100% gain in perceived volume. Meaning VolumeCare gives you about a 280% volume increase over the default Treo speaker volume.

This was measured right at the handset speaker with a sound level meter using a constant tone generated from a landline. I will do a more formal study later so these are preliminary findings.

Jeff
  6.    #26  
    Well I took the plunge and upgraded. I followed the instructions provided on the Palm website and the installer program exactly.

First of all they mention "Make sure you have 0.6MB (600KB) Free Memory on your smartphone". I couldn't install the updater untill I had over 14MB free. I originally had 8MB free, so I had a lot of clean-up and deleting to do.

I've spent the last 2 hours playing with things and re-installing some of the stuff I had to delete, and so far everything is running reliably. Below are a couple of observations...

Volume Care - still needed. Volume is still much louder using VC. Jeff's right.

Bluetooth - Seems to connect quicker.

Touch Tones - shorter and speedier.

Send SMS button added to Missed call - not a feature I would use.

Chatter Email - sends and receives like before. Doesn't appear to be affected by upgrade.

*#SIGNAL doesn't work anymore, as explained more in this thread http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopi...r=asc&start=30 Maybe they disabled all netmonitor codes for unlocked GSM, or maybe they changed them

That's all I can think of now. It's late...
    After the update, navigation in ZLauncher seems to be lacking. Not as responsive as before the update. Anyone else having the same results ?
    Anyone have any trouble backing up and restoring from SD card rather than HotSync? The website warns against that method due to possibility of reset loop, but this prevents me from having to reenter all my reg codes...
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone
    Anyone have any trouble backing up and restoring from SD card rather than HotSync? The website warns against that method due to possibility of reset loop, but this prevents me from having to reenter all my reg codes...
    No problem whatsoever, did this on 2 phones
    --
    Manfred
    Anyone have any trouble backing up and restoring from SD card rather than HotSync?
    None at all. In fact, the Hotsync left my PIM data in a shambles. I had to restore from SD to get things set to rights.
    I applied this upgrade to a 1.13-ROW / 1.51 firmware Treo 650 last night. Rather than fight with it to do it over SD, I used the Hotsync method. Upgrade itself went fine, but I found the Hotsync restore useless. Restored from my own SD backup afterward. Had a few application related resets, but nothing unusual. I have noticed improved responsiveness from my BT500 to answering -- I sometimes had to hit the button more than once before. No real differences in volume.

The only application behavior change I've noticed is with VeriChat 2.89b. Previously, getting a number of stacked pop-ups from incoming IM's would eventually cause a reset. Now there's no immediate reset, but I have had two resets described as "Event queue full" (event.c). I'm guessing it's a Verichat bug, but it's just expressing itself differently now.
    No problem restoring with SD via Backup Manager.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson

In audible terms every 10 decibles = a 100% gain in perceived volume. Meaning VolumeCare gives you about a 280% volume increase over the default Treo speaker volume.

This was measured right at the handset speaker with a sound level meter using a constant tone generated from a landline. I will do a more formal study later so these are preliminary findings.

Jeff
    What was the max dB with 1.13 (without volumecare?) Was it also 82 or did 1.20 increase it?
    I don't think there was any change from 1.13 to 1.20. Every time there's an update people say they noticed an increase in volume even though there isn't. I do a side by side with my wife's Treo running the older software, mine with the newer. I haven't done this yet with 1.20.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Updated from 1.13/1.31 last night:
    - No improvement in volume noticed. I've re-enabled VolumeCare.
    - BT DUN works after re-pairing. (Lost it with last firmware upgrade: would drop during dial-up).
    - Tested every application successfully: However, needed to reboot PC to regain VNC connectivity.
    - No resets since but was pretty stable before.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C

Jeff
    Yep, as I said earlier; VC still provides a versitility and boost to the newly improved sound levels that will keep the app on my installed list.

I am having trouble, however, getting LEDOff working correctly. It's stable and all, but I can't seem to get the right combination to keep the alert LEDs working but not the system LEDs. For example, I want the LED telling me that I have an email waiting to still function without the constant nagging blinking network connected LED. It doesn't seem to work the same way as it did before the upgrade. I'll figure it out!
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
  16. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless_Guru
    *#SIGNAL doesn't work anymore, as explained more in...
    ?? Works fine here. Don't you mean #*SIGNAL though?

Jeff
    Jeff - This is very usefull information. Really the first quantitative measure of volume I have seen for the Treo. Keep it coming. I'd really be interested in the following figures:

Max Headset w/o VC 1.13:
    Max Headset w/ VC 1.13:
    Max Headset w/o VC 1.20:
    Max Headset w/ VC 1.20:

Anxiously awaiting your response.

Thanks,
    RB
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  18. dyn
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    I'm really interested in the volume issue. Anyone with personal experiences upgrading from 1.13 to 1.20 would be appreciated. I don't use VolumeCare now and have been waiting (out of spite) for this upgrade to fix the volume issue. Anyone think that upgrading to 1.20 makes VC unnecessary? A volume fix would be about the only reason I would justify the risk/hastle of upgrading.

Thanks
    It seems that the only thing they did was putting another volume level in it. With the 1.13 version there were 6 levels,with 1.20 there are 7. That's for the volume during calls but also for all the other sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by gregb882
    I updated last night (from 1.13) and that part went well. However, when I re-synced my old backup files, the unit went into a constant reset mode. A hard reset eliminated that and today I've been re-installing all my stuff one app at a time. So far, so good.
    I've had the same experience. I got everything back exactly as it was before (i managed to sync back my old profile which at first caused the resets).

The Treo is speedy
    Yeah, I'm seriously thinking it too.. Maybe wait a few weeks for some devs to see what Palm changed and update their software.
    just to sure, can someone tell me the source for an SD update? There have been several web links but I really just want a vanilla one - as un-risky as possible. I gather that Palm is not providing that. [I have a Treo that I never use hotsync on - and one that I do.]
    Thanks. mgabel_pi
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast