Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Is anyone aware of a win-hand type app that would allow one to access and control the mac from a treo? Aside from general uses, I sometimes forget to quit my Mail app when away for an extended period, and there's no way to get mail until I get back (since Mail is "sucking up" all mail every few minutes). I'd love to be able to remotely access the mac and quit that app.
    I don't think there is, but as for the mail, why not have the Mail app leave a copy on the server for a few days?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks... that's not a bad idea. But the problem is I get a fair amount of spam. So if I leave mail on the server, even for a day, and then go download on the treo, there will be 40 "old" messages. However, as I think about this, Snapper downloads the most recent mail first, so perhaps I'll give this a try as a workaround at least for this issue.
    Try searching this forum for installing OSXvnc on Mac and PalmVNC for Treo. With these programs (OSXvnc and PalmVNC) you are able to control your Mac from your Treo.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks- that's great! I can't quite get it to connect yet, even though everything seems set correctly (using Verizon connection). But I know it works, as I got it to connect with a bluetooth connection. I see there may be some issue related to being a dsl user... I have to work my way thru their FAQ....
    You probably need to port-forward incoming TCP 5900 to the IP Address of your OSX box if you're using a router, if not, a firewall may be preventing incoming TCP 5900.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks.... I don't think it's the firewall issue, as I made sure the firewall is off for now. Not sure if the port forwarding is an issue or not. I have DSL, hooked up to an 8 port hub (is that the same as a router, and does this setup require port forwarding?!)...
    Hopefully, either the dsl box (probably) or the hub (doubtful) have port forwarding. Usually, you can program it via a web page that's embedded into the dsl router. Let us know how it works. I'd be curious.