1.    #1  
    I know there is a lot of loyal Chatter people here, I'm trialing it now.. but I only use POP3 and it was designed with IMAP in mind so I wonder if it would be better to use Snapper since I'm just POP3.

For example, Chatter doesn't have a button you can click to go fetch mail, I guess because it is designed to just have it pushed to you...

Thoughts, experiences, etc... thanks.

MG
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Chatter actually does have a button to do that, you can set up any of the hard buttons to be a fetch mail.

I used Snapper for a year with POP3 only and I liked it, but I switched to try chatter when it came out with POP mail support and never turned back, I went into preferences changed the mail key to fetch mail and it fetches, plus I have set it to check the mail every 15 minutes (like i did in snapper) but I never have to see it connecting like I did in snapper. Again when I want to check it right away, I just push my assigned fetch button and wala! I got mail.

I think Chatter is worth its weight in gold, not to mention about 50 updates to Snappers 5 in the past 6 months. And the updates are to make the program even better, All snapper updates I received were to copy what Marc and Chatter are doing. Chatter by far is worth it.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I also only use POP3. Been using Snapper for a long time, but have tried Chatter. Chatter is great- no doubt there, but unless I'm mistaken Chatter's app *must* be in RAM. I keep snapper on the SD card with zLauncher, and it works fine like that, even when checking for mail every x minutes (as long as I don't go back to zlauncher, which puts Snapper back onto the card immediately). If memory (RAM) is tight, might want to consider this....
    Chatter must be in RAM because it needs to be able to run at any time. But you can store messages direct to SD card....

Marc
    The last time that I tried Chatter, it wouldn't let you ONLY manually sync your messages. You had to specify a schedule for Chatter to automatically check your email.

Snapper was better for me since I don't email much. That said, even the newest version of VersaMail worked fine for me. The plus about VersaMail is that it's much smaller than either Snapper or Chatter. That leaves me more room in my custom ROM for other programs.
    I *think* I tried Chatter a while back and didn't like the UI compared to Snapper. Among other things I seem to recall that Chatter didn't have a 2-line list view which is a must-have feature for me. Does it have that now?

I would prefer to have the background fetching it offers. Any word on whether Snapper will be adding that capability?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    2000 Man - FYI... Manual sync has always been an option in Chatter...

Marc
    SnapperMail is useful for general emails. It's even better for handling attachments of all sorts. I have found SnapperMail to be able to download and upload large files with ease (eg: pictures, Excel, Word, PDF, WAV, .PRC Palm apps). The major, major, major, major downside of SnapperMail is that it periodically erases all my emails for no apparent reason. I always have to worry that at any time, Snapper will suddenly erase all my emails in my Inbox and Sent boxes...everything. This has happened many times using 3 different versions of Enterprise...soooooo frustrating.

I have now switched to ChatterEmail as my primary email app. It's soooooo cool and useful to actually get emails within 15 seconds automatically, without lifting a finger. Only small downside is the faster battery drain. But having an extra AC charger at work, and an extra charged battery makes this a small issue.
    I use Snappermail and love it. I works perfectly for my needs, plus it now has the ability to download directly to the SD card.

I've tried Chattermail before, but it kept resetting my Treo and I didn't want to spend the time to figure it out, especially since Snappermail works great for me and has a nice interface. I'm sure Marc would have been willing to help get Chatter working, but I just didn't feel like dealing with it.

The best thing is to just try both and see what fits your needs best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    2000 Man - FYI... Manual sync has always been an option in Chatter...

Marc
    Manual sync without having to set any schedule? The newest version of Chatter that I tried required me to set some kind of interval for the automatic retrieval.
    2000 Man - No, you can always do it manually (in the "Quick Setup", put zero in as the interval; it's even documented in the info button on that screen).

Marc
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I say give Chatter a Try it is worth it.
    I am another POP only user, Chatter works great. I love the way it does sending and checking of mail in the background. It just plain works. I have not ever had any reset issues with it.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Can Chatter run in ROM?
    I am a happy snapper mail user. I have both pop3 and imap email accounts. I tried the autoread feature and it worked well but I decided that I wanted to initiate the email reading. It takes just one button. I could not get used to opening snapper to find unread messages waiting for me.
    A number of users have Chatter in ROM.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I *think* I tried Chatter a while back and didn't like the UI compared to Snapper. Among other things I seem to recall that Chatter didn't have a 2-line list view which is a must-have feature for me. Does it have that now?

I would prefer to have the background fetching it offers. Any word on whether Snapper will be adding that capability?

Agreed, I tried both about a year ago and went with Snappermail. Chatter has some nice features but I just preferred the Snapper interface.

TS
  18. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I've owned Snapper for years, and have stuck with it as newer apps have come out because it still does what I need it to do. I use mostly POP accounts and prefer to do most of my e-mailing from my laptop, so I only check e-mail on the Treo when I feel like it. The fact that you can't turn off Chatter's auto-download feature just seemed like a nuissance, and if nothing else, another thing to potentially make my Treo spontaneously crash in the middle of the night.

I also like Snapper's single inbox better than the summary view implemented in Chatter. I find Snapper great for handling attachments too.

Overall, I was impressed with many of Chatter's features, but I don't need or want a lot of them, and since I already own Snapper I had no reason to spend more money.