Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I asked this question before.

for the Treo 650,

Blazer sucks, and Xiino does not render pages all that well. any ideas on what is out for the 650 that is nicer.

plese help.

e..b
    new version of blazer (v 4.3.2.1 from the FW 1.71 update) is pretty good imo, opera mini is also pretty fast, but goes through a proxy.
    The one feature of Xiino that I really like is how it doesn't need to redraw/refetch the last page you were on if you leave the app and come back. Today I played around with Xiino but my coverage was so poor that it was hard for me to do any real speed tests. So, other than that, I like Blazer better.

If Blazer could add that feature, improve rendering/download speed, and add multi-window support I'd be pretty happy. Any chance that this new v4.3.2.1 might offer any of that?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    where do i get opra mini? i looked around.. not sure what i am looking at.
    Ah yes, being able to switch apps without losing the web page I'm on would be great, I don't think opera-mini does this either...

You can download opera mini here:
    http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/operamini/

You'll need to have the IBM websphere (java) installed on your treo (didn't work for me until I updated my ROW ROM to 1.71, no clue why), you can get it here:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/download.html
    Last edited by mosco; 01/19/2006 at 02:09 PM.
    Xiino works much better if you use something like Fonts4OS5 to tell Xiino to use a smaller font. Pages look much better, are more readable, and things are still faster than Blazer.

I like the *idea* of Opera mobile, but have found it to be horribly unstable.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Warr, thanks for the reminding me to try one of those font hacks - something I've been putting off for a while. So I finally gave Alex Pruss' FontSmoother a try which gives me anti-aliased fonts. It reminds you that the Treo 700w's "almost good enough" 240x240 w/ClearType isn't as good as true 320x320 after all, since we can do the sub-pixel rendering thing, too. ;

I'm using a 16pt Sans Serif font that it came with (I forget the name) which is about the same size as the "Small" font in Blazer, but easier on the eyes thanks to the sub-pixel rendering.

Doing the font hack isn't without its problems as things can look a bit off sometimes, but I think the positives will outweigh the negatives, and I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't tried it should see what they're missing out on.
    I use tahoma 16 with font smoother and xiino is very nicely laid out and easy to read. With the small pda screens most of the fonts that are built in are too large to be useable.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    The 2MB page limit in Blazer is killing me. While I cannot believe (and still don't) that some of these pages are this large, I still can't load many of them now. I really would love some other browser.

I'm thinking that this is almost a clincher that the Palm market is waning significantly.

Wasn't Blazer Pro or Web Pro (cant remember) supposed to be a better browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    The 2MB page limit in Blazer is killing me. While I cannot believe (and still don't) that some of these pages are this large, I still can't load many of them now. I really would love some other browser.

I'm thinking that this is almost a clincher that the Palm market is waning significantly.

Wasn't Blazer Pro or Web Pro (cant remember) supposed to be a better browser?
    IMO, the browser market is one category in which WM has POS soundly beat.

Having said that, Xiino w/ Fonts4OS5 is as good a solution as I've found, and I think I've tried them all.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Sorry to take this thread off-track, but I think I may have been wrong about something I said. Does FontSmoother actually do subpixel rendering (a la ClearType) or "merely" antialiasing?
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Sorry to take this thread off-track, but I think I may have been wrong about something I said. Does FontSmoother actually do subpixel rendering (a la ClearType) or "merely" antialiasing?

Hey Scott, not really an answer to your question but checkout these threads:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=fonts+xiino

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=font

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    This seems a really dumb question but I couldn't find an answer by searching. I have a Verizon 650, firmware 1.03, and Blazer is version 4.0. Slow as slush. If the more recent Blazers are any better, I'd love to try one.

Isn't there some way to download the app itself without a firmware update?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    FontSmoother does gray-scale antialiasing. Subpixel antialiasing for the PalmOS platform would be a nuisance to implement given that there are so many screen orientations (rotatable screens and flippable screens). The amount of memory for each font would be significantly larger, too. Moreover, there are potential patent issues.
    Thanks Alex. I was hoping you might chime in since I was too lazy to just email you the question. I may email you to discuss further rather than continue to hijack this thread.

Back on track...I've found that with smaller fonts Xiino renders better but still feels less usable/efficient than Blazer from a UI perspective. I'm going to play with it some more today, though.
    So I'm using Xiino right now. I don't like the red highlighting and the page rendering of Treocentral's mobile pages looks messy. I also see that it doesn't support pressing numeric buttons to jump to and click a link. Sigh. I don't see why Palm doesn't want to make some easy money by improving Blazer and selling upgrades.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I have come to the point in the browser war that I use all the browsers currently out there. Sometimes I use Opera Mini if I need to check something out with my bank account, I use WebPro sometimes if I need to see a page as how it would look in my notebook. If I am viewing a mobile page I sometimes use Blazer, for my more day to day use I use Xiino. Yea its a pain to have them all, I usually end up hiding Webpro on my card till I need it and Blazer is built in and Opera Mini isn't that large, even with Java installed, and of course being my day to day browser Xiino is just sitting in RAM. Like I said its a pain, but it keeps me happy and I don't have to turn to the dark side and get the 700, though the 700 is the only WM device that I would buy,
    I use Xiino 95% of the time personally. Sure I can't check my banking info with it, but oh well I can do that when I get home or over the phone. No biggie. And if you go to skweezer.com and then type in the page you want to go to, it will render everything much more nicely for you. When it comes to speed, Xiino is hands-down the best, and that's what matters to me most when it comes to mobile browsing. I just wish they'd release a friggin' update already.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    I often feel sorry for those who has to deal with Blazer, Xiino and Opera mini. I have tried them all and IMO none of them compare to the webviewer, which is faster, and displays pages in HTML just like your desktop browser would, none of this WAP crap.

The speed alone that webviewer produces is EVDO like and as mentioned in HTML format.

Now I know it's not available to new customers but we have copies of the app and all you would need is a key code.

Here is my suggestion, try to find someone in the past that has had Webviewer and doesn't use it anymore, then ask for there old key #, once you have that you can do a key exchange free of charge.

This browser is years ahead of it's time and I still don't understand why it was pulled and now owned by Google.

The interface is not the prettiest but the speed and full browser feel will quickly dismiss the interface which on large font is not that bad.

If you are truly fed up with crappy browsers give webviewer a try, heck I would even go on ebay and offer to buy someone's old key #.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast