Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
    So, I hope someone out there can help me. I have just got a T650 from Ebay, and it us an unlocked Cingular. It works fine on my T-Mobile SIM card, but it is version 1.02-CNB, I tried to perform the 1.20 ROW upgrade but it said that it couldn't do it. Does anyone know how I can upgrade it?

I am concerned that if I use the Cingular upgrade that it will lock up on me. And that would be pointless.

Please help.
    Colin.
    Quote Originally Posted by roadhog
    So, I hope someone out there can help me. I have just got a T650 from Ebay, and it us an unlocked Cingular. It works fine on my T-Mobile SIM card, but it is version 1.02-CNB, I tried to perform the 1.20 ROW upgrade but it said that it couldn't do it. Does anyone know how I can upgrade it?

I am concerned that if I use the Cingular upgrade that it will lock up on me. And that would be pointless.

Please help.
    Colin.
    Don't do the ROW. If you are going to make it like the Unlocked you need to use ENA. If it were me I would use a custom ROM to flash it to 1.13/1.28 ROW then do the 1.20 ENA from Palm.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

jamesgangut (or anybody else),

I've got a Cingular/locked T650 and I'm dying to get one of these custom roms on my phone. I'm in Dbcache hell with Good, TT5 and Ptunes going at the same time (and I could care less about Real, Versamail, the tutorial, other languages etc...)...Anything to free up more memory/cache and make it faster (w/fat32).

Is there a way to get one of these unlocked ENA Roms on my phone????? I remember something about going back to some leaked rom first but I can't seem to find anything about it (or is there a similar rom that would go straight on my T650 which currently has 1.17-CNG w/ 1.51)

Thanks!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Unlocked GSM ROMs

1.20 ENA ROM revised

These versions are stripped of all but English and some German files*

Cust 1- Stripped of Tutorial, Real, VersaMail, Clock +++Fat32+++
    http://rapidshare.de/files/12817921/...d_f32.zip.html

Special Thanks to CraniumFunk

***If after running this you still have carrier version 249 replace with these versions. Turn radio off delete files and replace.***
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    jamesgangut (or anybody else),

I've got a Cingular/locked T650 and I'm dying to get one of these custom roms on my phone. I'm in Dbcache hell with Good, TT5 and Ptunes going at the same time (and I could care less about Real, Versamail, the tutorial, other languages etc...)...Anything to free up more memory/cache and make it faster (w/fat32).

Is there a way to get one of these unlocked ENA Roms on my phone????? I remember something about going back to some leaked rom first but I can't seem to find anything about it (or is there a similar rom that would go straight on my T650 which currently has 1.17-CNG w/ 1.51)

Thanks!

Steve
    You can apply one of my ROMs directly. But you will have issues with the carrierdb version. You need to have a version that will allow you to run the official updater than one of my ROMs. You could just apply one of mine than run Palm updater, after completely running Palm's rerun the custom and you should be good.

Note, to get the PALM updater to update the token correctly you need to use an existing profile that the treo has hotsynce'd to. I created a blank user "treo" that I use.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Jamesgangut,

Thanks a ton!!!! I just placed your Custom Rom on an SD card, stuck it in the Treo and off it went...Took me straight from 1.17-CNG to 1.20-ENA (Custom) on my locked Cingular treo...and no issues (at least that I can spot so far)

No more Versamail or Real player wasting memory and best of all I jumped from 11.6Mb of Cache to 14.2Mb!!!!

hmmm...now do I dare install that launcher (z or x) that I always wanted but could never run because of lack of cache

...and another bonus I just noticed...VFSMark jumped from 400 to 750!!!
    Last edited by davisdog; 02/11/2006 at 12:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    best of all I jumped from 11.6Mb of Cache to 14.2Mb!!!!
    How do you find out the size of the Cache?
    http://www.peterwalker.com
    I have added the carrier/network files after the ROM update. It seems to just kick out the files. Like it doesn't want htem. Can someone explain the benifit of having the Carrier 255 and the upgraded network file?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    I have added the carrier/network files after the ROM update. It seems to just kick out the files. Like it doesn't want htem. Can someone explain the benifit of having the Carrier 255 and the upgraded network file?
    thanks
    was the radio off when you tried to sync them over?

i still dont get why you have to do this though.

what ills does it cause to have the older files?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Yep the radio was off. I have yet to hear a explination too.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    thanks
    255 has updates for carrieir specific information. An example it TMo users with 249 have data pausing and sms sending issues. 255 fixes those issues.

Thanks jamesgangut.

So....... who lives in denver and has a Windows computer that can hook meup with the update?
    i just hotsynced the new carrier files on my MAC and it worked great. Thanks all
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-BKK
    there are a few free programs that will show it....dbcache and memory info for instance
    Here is the Select Network Hack for Jame's 1.20 ENA Custom #4.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling
    Here is the Select Network Hack for Jame's 1.20 ENA Custom #4.
    If I may ask, what is this for and what does it do ?

Thanks
    After using the Custom ROM complete 1.13a Sprint with Fat 32 as so kindly provided by CraniumFunk, I customized with Shadowmite's tool to remove things that I did not want. I am now ready to add some favorite applications from those listed here as suitable for ROM addition.

After the build I had about 378 K remaining that could be added. My questions are:

1. What is a "safe" amount to leave free to prevent some of the issues that others have referred to here. Is there some magic amount such as 50 or 100K that will allow for fewer crashes?

2. Now that I am ready to add to my custom ROM, what do I do with the programs that I have already installed. For instance, if I want to add Snappermail(Enterprise Addition) do I delete it from my Treo BEFORE I backup the Treo and BEFORE the flash? Will there be a conflict if I do not remove the previous application?

3. If I flash and do NOT uninstall the previously unistalled application, should I use a program like FileZ or Resco Explorer to remove the original install or do you suggest another way?

Any assistance from those here smarter than I would be so very appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    After using the Custom ROM complete 1.13a Sprint with Fat 32 as so kindly provided by CraniumFunk, I customized with Shadowmite's tool to remove things that I did not want. I am now ready to add some favorite applications from those listed here as suitable for ROM addition.
    Any assistance from those here smarter than I would be so very appreciated.
    I am not sure why you would want to put 3rd party apps into ROM. If you have a lot of apps and need more RAM, why not put the apps that you don't use often onto an SD card.

As I see it, the downside of putting 3rd party apps into ROM is:

1. increased risk of problems. Are the apps appropriate for ROM? They have probably never been tested in ROM.

2. What happens when the app's author releases an update? You've got to build a whole new ROM and go through the flashing routine again.

3. By filling the ROM with 3rd party apps, do you lose the benefit of increased dbcache?

I thought about the above and decided to leave all 3rd party apps in RAM. Since the upgrade, the Treo is now quite efficient on its use of RAM. Even with a dozen or so 3rd party apps, including Snapper, I still have more than 10Mb of RAM free.

Regards
    Peter
    http://www.peterwalker.com
    Peter,

Thank you for your reply and comments. I have to admit that I am a relative neophyte at work like this on the Treo. I have read and reread the posts here and finally decided that it was safe to take the plunge.

The reason that I wanted to add 3rd party applications was due to the reading of Tem's near manuscript how-to-guide on Custom Rom by a dummy 4 dummies. In this thread and subsequent posts by Tem and Shadowmite, it appears that applications may load faster in ROM rather than RAM. It also appears that, according to TEM, applications that are not going to be updated anytime soon are ideal. Tem placed a number in his/her RAM to include spellcheck 1.6, splashmoney, treoguard and others.

Like you, I have thought about this issue and read Shadowmite's list of approved applications in depth. There are a few that I would like to place there so as not to take away from the overall RAM. I would die for 10 meg of free RAM as I have a host of medical text, mostly from Skyscape, that take up a bunch of room and are not appropriate for ROM and eat up RAM. Like many here, testing the waters of hacking, I am only trying to educate myself and sort out all of these thousands of posts and replies.

Perhaps this would be a good question to the group as to why anyone would add these 3rd party apps to ROM in the first place. Like you, I can see the advantage of saving the space and improving the overall memory management effeciency. Can anyone here shed more light on this subject for those less informed. All your points are so well taken Peter. I have thought about them all and can make 6 arguments for doing and one-half dozen for not doing.

What could Shadowmite, CraniumFunk, Jamesgangut or Tem say about these since they have exhausted themselves for our benefit. I would be greatly interested in the comments and the education.

Regards,

Jim
    From what I have understood from a long time of reading these posts here, the main cause of Treo crashes is shortage of dbcache in ROM.

Treo tries to do what you ask of it, but runs out of ROM memory and crashes.

Therefore I have not added any extra software into the RAM on my custom firmware and think it would be foolish to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-BKK
    MemoryInfo V1.1 is a good starting place

Find it here:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...hlight=meminfo
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway