Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    Have you tried through a desktop using Palm installer?
    I am going to try that now. I will run the official updater and see what happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    I posted a new custom2 stripped with versamail, I updated the main link but here it is again.
    http://rapidshare.de/files/12396259/...ed_VM.zip.html
    James,
    I've just flashed.....it worked like a charm.
    When the updater resetted the Treo I performed an hard reset and now everything seems to be fine:
    - Camcorder icon
    - Emotions

So far so gooooood.

What can I say more than THANKSSSSSSSS??

TX to CraniumFunk as well.

Great job guys.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    I posted a new custom2 stripped with versamail, I updated the main link but here it is again.
    http://rapidshare.de/files/12396259/...ed_VM.zip.html
    James,

Can I ask one more quick question. Do you think it might be possible that the SMS emoticon fix you did (by using an old SMS application ?) might also possibly fix the SMS timestamp bug ? I have had to revert back to 1.13ROW because I couldnt live with the timestamp being so wrong. Given you have referred to the old SMS app, and given 1.13 doesnt have the timestamp bug, Im kinda hoping your version might fix it.

I am at work now, but I am gonig to try one of your fantastic custom ROMs when I get home. I just have to decide which one !

bertieb
    Quote Originally Posted by bertieb
    James,

Can I ask one more quick question. Do you think it might be possible that the SMS emoticon fix you did (by using an old SMS application ?) might also possibly fix the SMS timestamp bug ? I have had to revert back to 1.13ROW because I couldnt live with the timestamp being so wrong. Given you have referred to the old SMS app, and given 1.13 doesnt have the timestamp bug, Im kinda hoping your version might fix it.

I am at work now, but I am gonig to try one of your fantastic custom ROMs when I get home. I just have to decide which one !

bertieb
    SMS timestamp is working for me. I am using the emoticons fix, which is a file from 1.13, so you should be fine to upgrade. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif
    Timestamp Good Here Also
    Latest Custom #1
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenChoi
    I am going to try that now. I will run the official updater and see what happen.
    Here is some interesting finding:-

1. Hard reset and install official updater.
    2. After Step 2 completes, the phone info shows 249 and CAP empty.
    3. After Step 3 completes, the phone info shows 255 CAP not empty and AmrDecLib exists in RAM even after hard reset.

4. Install CF complete ROM and now gets 255, CAP not empty and AmrDecLib exists in RAM.

5. Install Custom ROM with *one* language only gets 249, CAP not empty and AmrDecLib exists in RAM. Also, the file DelCarSetDb-DcsD.

Conclusion, the official updater must have set some registry flag setting in the Treo during Step 3 that will survice any king of resets. I guess that would be the same place where they store the Locked code. During the language selection, it must be looking for this flag to update to 255. So, one *must* run the official updater *before* running any custom rom.
    Here is some interesting finding:-

1. Hard reset and install official updater.
    2. After Step 2 completes, the phone info shows 249 and CAP empty.
    3. After Step 3 completes, the phone info shows 255 CAP not empty and AmrDecLib exists in RAM even after hard reset.

4. Install CF complete ROM and now gets 255, CAP not empty and AmrDecLib exists in RAM.

5. Install Custom ROM with *one* language only gets 249, CAP not empty and AmrDecLib exists in RAM. Also, the file DelCarSetDb-DcsD.

Conclusion, the official updater must have set some registry flag setting in the Treo during Step 3 that will survice any king of resets. I guess that would be the same place where they store the Locked code. During the language selection, it must be looking for this flag to update to 255. So, one *must* run the official updater *before* running any custom rom.
    Yes, you *must* run the Palm installer first. I thought you might already have run it first.

A token value is generated & stored in the desktop registry while the Palm installer is running. Its called a "Notifier Token" and is needed for the upgrade to complete successfully.
    Yes, you *must* run the Palm installer first. I thought you might already have run it first.
    <snip>
    Yes I did previously *but* only until step 2
    Anyway, thanks again to you and James for all the help.
    Yes I did previously *but* only until step 2
    Anyway, thanks again to you and James for all the help.
    Cheers, enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor
    This is *exactly* what I mean.

The groups of people had worked together because they exchanged the sources and the knowledge, and not only some bynaries.

Now, if you share only the working rom w/o explaining why this rom is working, you are doing something like binary share.
    <snip>
    Palmís code is NOT open source. We can only share their binaries and our understanding of the binaries.

<snip>
    Maybe I'm blind, but I'm still don't seeing the answer to the my simple questions.

Why you rom works, what is the magic ingredient that makes your kake better than mine ?
    <snip>
    I guess store bought cake just doesn't do it for people anymore. My cake is homemade and has a lotta FUDGE & ICING, dipped in a bit of BUTTERSCOTCH, mmmm, scrumptious to the last bite!! lol. j/k.

There is no magic ingredient to my ROMs, as much as I wish I had *Magic Pixie Dust* flowing from my fingers. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif My SD custom complete ROM does exactly what the Palm installer is doing minus the Notifier Token routine, which requires the desktop registry.

Look, sounds to me like you have enough understanding to answer many of your own questions. Letís see if we canít redirect that energy of yours into a useful contribution. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif

You asked about 0Byte files for second lang, go ahead and do some testing yourself and let the community know your results. This way you are a contributing member. Here is a way how you can make your contribution a success in the way linux has been!!

<snip>
    Do you really think that hack something is only when you put your hands to binary code with an hex editor or a disassembler ? I if it is the case please define your work with a better word.
    Directly copied from my Treoís Express dictionary:

Hack - ďa piece of computer code that performs some function, esp. an unofficial alternative or addition to a commercial program.Ē

We own our Treos, but we donít own Palmís code on it. We own a *license* to use the code. No hex editors have been used in this fix to alter Palmís intellectual property, or code. Yes, we have hacked the Treo in a literal sense just as I can hack a tree, but this is not illegal. U can only lose your warranty.

But hacking the software is totally another ballgame. Again, Palmís code is NOT open source. You can get in serious trouble by altering code, recompiling it & calling it a fix (this was the foundation of TROJAN programs, which can contain VIRUSES).

To better define it, we are optimizing *our* hardware by reducing how much of Palmís code we use.
    Sidetrack: to turn aside from a purpose : DEFLECT b : to prevent action on by diversionary tactics <sidetrack an issue>
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    James,
    I've just flashed.....it worked like a charm.
    When the updater resetted the Treo I performed an hard reset and now everything seems to be fine:
    - Camcorder icon
    - Emotions

So far so gooooood.

What can I say more than THANKSSSSSSSS??

TX to CraniumFunk as well.

Great job guys.
    I thought this was the ROM I was looking for. It says "with VM", but Versamail isn't there in what I downloaded. This looks like a fully stripped ROM.

The readme.txt states:
    "1.20 ENA ROM
    This version is stripped of all but English and German*; VersaMail, RealPlayer, Clock Tutorial removed.

Fixes:
    - Included older SMS smart text to allow emocicons.
    - Included Camcorder icon
    - CarrierDB, AmrDecLib issues resolved.

* Must have 7 languages files for the carrierDB and AmrDeclib issue to be resolved. Don't Choose German or you will be in a reset loop."

So, this does or does not have versamail? I want versa, calc, English, and fixes.

Thanks,
    Dim-Ize
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    I thought this was the ROM I was looking for. It says "with VM", but Versamail isn't there in what I downloaded. This looks like a fully stripped ROM.

The readme.txt states:
    "1.20 ENA ROM
    This version is stripped of all but English and German*; VersaMail, RealPlayer, Clock Tutorial removed.

Fixes:
    - Included older SMS smart text to allow emocicons.
    - Included Camcorder icon
    - CarrierDB, AmrDecLib issues resolved.

* Must have 7 languages files for the carrierDB and AmrDeclib issue to be resolved. Don't Choose German or you will be in a reset loop."

So, this does or does not have versamail? I want versa, calc, English, and fixes.

Thanks,
    Dim-Ize
    Did you use Cust2? Cust1 is everything gone. Let me know if you are having trouble with Cust2.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    James,

No. I'm having no trouble. I wanted to fire this up. I want to load it, but haven't yet.

This seems to be the ROM I'm looking for.

I was trying to confirm:
    It has the fixes for CDb of 255
    Cam Corder
    Emoticons
    Versamail included
    Calc included
    Blazer included

Stripped: tutorials, non-English (except files needed to load), RealPlayer

Sorry to pester you. I'm glad you are around.
    Here's my quicklist:

1- Backup data (Backupman to SD)
    2- Hard reset
    3- Get a different SD, erase everything on it.
    4- Download a ROM. Unzip ROM to a folder on my Desktop.
    5- Copy the PALM directory to the SD. MAke sure the PALM directory shows at the root of the SD.
    6- Plugin power to Treo.
    7- Insert SD, be patient, DON'T take out the SD until you are at either a language screen or the digitizer screen. Then DO take out the SD and proceed.
    8- Restore data.
    Hi,
    I've been reading so many forums thur the night but I still cant get it sorted.
    I did exactly as the above but (7) does not work for me. Nothing seems to happen after I pop in the SD card.
    It says Unrecognized format and an option to delete. I click on cancel and nothing happens after that..

I had previously updated it to 01.71, Treo650-1.20-LAP using the official files released from Palmone before found out about the stripped version. Could this be the reason why it is not working?
    Quote Originally Posted by yappiez
    Hi,
    I've been reading so many forums thur the night but I still cant get it sorted.
    I did exactly as the above but (7) does not work for me. Nothing seems to happen after I pop in the SD card.
    It says Unrecognized format and an option to delete. I click on cancel and nothing happens after that..

I had previously updated it to 01.71, Treo650-1.20-LAP using the official files released from Palmone before found out about the stripped version. Could this be the reason why it is not working?
    Try formatting the card in the Treo, then copy the PALM folder from your desktop to SD using a reader. Make sure you hard reset first and in Palm launcher before inserting the SD card.
    Dim-Ize:

Yes Cust2 should be just what you want.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Try formatting the card in the Treo, then copy the PALM folder from your desktop to SD using a reader. Make sure you hard reset first and in Palm launcher before inserting the SD card.
    Thanks Cranium, I will try it tonight and post my result here.
    Hmm.. i remember i was not in the Palm launcher while I was trying it out..
    Palm’s code is NOT open source. We can only share their binaries and our understanding of the binaries.
    I wrote "something like" "not "like".

My SD custom complete ROM does exactly what the Palm installer is doing minus the Notifier Token routine, which requires the desktop registry.
    I'm perfecetly understood what your rom does, but I'm still not undersand why.

When I write a tutorial, I like to explayn to other people how they can get a result, instead to get them a prebuilt result.

I know, I can use your cake, and I can add some cream and strawberryes, to get a cake that meet my taste, but I'm still prefer to cook my own cake.

Look, sounds to me like you have enough understanding to answer many of your own questions. Let’s see if we can’t redirect that energy of yours into a useful contribution.
    I own a treo since november, and because I had 4 device swap in this time the treo was in my hand less than 1 mont. Although this, I discovered two things (the camcoder icon and the one non english language configuration) and I shared them (here).

I shared what I found, not a prebuilt Italian or German rom, here is the difference from me and you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor
    I shared what I found, not a prebuilt Italian or German rom, here is the difference from me and you.
    Solutor,
    I perfectly understand your wish of sharing knowledge, this could be a very powerfull tool. I also agree when you say that you prefer to cook your cake by your self.

I also understand that guys like James that is doing a great job for all of us giving a great value added to our Treo experience.

Can I advice you smart & tech guys to discuss how to get a better cake in a different place? It's not because I'm interested in it, but basically I do not understand what you are saying!!!! Forgive me!!
    In my opinion this is the right where to post ROMs and share testing. It would be usefull for me to discuss about on "how to cook the cake" in a separate thread, where to concentrate on thecnical aspect that "stupid end user" like me does not understand.

What do you think.

Of course it is IMHO.

Thanks again to all for the great work..... .....I finally can say that my Treo ROCKS after a long time since the launch, and it is not only for Palm efforts!!!
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim