Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    Solutor, James and Cranium have provided all the information but because they have been learning step by step they have been providing the information step by step. You need to read from the beginning to the end of the thread and remember that some things said earlier will be changed later. I have followed this thread all along and have no problem understanding what James and Cranium are telling us.

That said, I am sure that you meant no insult and that it was merely a matter of poorly chosen words. English appears to not be your first language so I hope we can all cut you a little slack there.

Finally, to James and Cranium a deep bow of thanks and respect. People like you really do make the world a better place, not so much for the practical benefits you bring as for the great attitude towards your fellow man.
    jgm

I re-read Solutors posts a number of times for that reason - English is not his first language, and so it would be possile to misconstrue what he said.

After re-reading them a few times, I returned to my original conclusion ; he/she is an ***** and is incredibly rude.

The Palm community is incredibly lucky to have people like James and Cranium contributing so much of their free time and effort. It sometimes only takes one rude ***** like Solutor to turn them away from a website/community. Luckily I dont think that will happen in this case.

bertieb
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    1- 24k now
    2- ?????
    4- Current BT files.

Thanks James,
    everything is pretty clear now.

Did you already amend files inside links in post #564? (I mean including only the famous 7 German files instead of all of them).

Thanks as always.
    Last edited by vittogn; 02/02/2006 at 05:48 AM.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by bertieb
    jgm

I re-read Solutors posts a number of times for that reason - English is not his first language, and so it would be possile to misconstrue what he said.

After re-reading them a few times, I returned to my original conclusion ; he/she is an ***** and is incredibly rude.

The Palm community is incredibly lucky to have people like James and Cranium contributing so much of their free time and effort. It sometimes only takes one rude ***** like Solutor to turn them away from a website/community. Luckily I dont think that will happen in this case.

bertieb
    Languages differ not only in words but are part of an overall culture that usually is also different. Saying something a rude way in one language might be completely acceptable in another. Also, some people are just not very socially capable and thus choose words poorly. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. If Solutor truly intends to be rude he can reply and make sure we all understand that was his intention but I don't think he will.

In my experience people who are confident enough in themselves to give openly and freely to others are also strong enough to not be chased away by a single rude comment. They may not be pleased but they are not the sort to run away. I haven't noticed James or Cranium bolting for the doors just yet.

With the readiness of many people nowadays to take offence at the slightest thing and then respond in the extreme I think it would benefit us all to relax. Nobody's insult can upset you unless you allow it to. Why give such a person that much power over your own harmony? They don't have that power unless you give it to them, even when you are acting in defense of someone else. It is possible to defend someone else without raising the animosity level. Besides, he is more likely to learn something from a rebuke in calm words than from an angry reaction.

An escalating conflict with multiple participants is more likely to make James and Cranium feel they are serving an undeserving lot than the rudeness of an individual, intended or not.

At any rate, this is getting far off topic so I will comment no further on this matter and let it drop here for my part anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-BKK
    James,

I for one really do appreciate your help. If it was not for your ROM download, I would still be daily checking Palm's download site and getting annoyed by "The Treo 650 Update is not yet available for Macintosh but should be shortly". Palm should be grateful to you too...

As I mentioned above, I have successfully installed the FULL LAP version from your download. After 1.5 days, it is working well.

I am wondering whether I should leave it as-is or go ahead with the stripped LAP ROM that you have just uploaded.

What are the benefits of the stripped version, apart from getting rid of the software that I do not need. Are there other benefits? I saw that you earlier mentioned that you would have more space for dbCache. What does that mean and what benefits ensue?

And, are there any additional risks with using a stripped ROM?

Thanks you.

Regards
    Peter
    Benefits:
    More dbcache as you said.
    SMS fix is in the stripped version
    Camcorder icon
    Ability to customize and app some apps to ROM
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    Thanks James,
    everything is pretty clear now.

Did you already amend files inside links in post #564? (I mean including only the famous 7 German files instead of all of them).

Thanks as always.
    I did the Cust1 fully stripped version. I did not do the other versions.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I did the Cust1 fully stripped version. I did not do the other versions.
    Good morning James!!
    Are you planning to do it?

Or I think that we can do it just removing unwanted German files. Is it correct? Can you list them for us?
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    BTW - No, this is not hacking. Nothing has been done to jeopardize the integrity of Palm's code.
    Yes, it's hacking. The original definition of the word. It's a good thing.
    First off, don't kid yourself chief! Linux was *not* made a success by one or two people contributing and the rest of the community following the lead. Linux was a success because of many groups of people working together towards the bettering of a product, regardless how big or small of a contribution!
    This is *exactly* what I mean.

The groups of people had worked together because they exchanged the sources and the knowledge, and not only some bynaries.

Now, if you share only the working rom w/o explaining why this rom is working, you are doing something like binary share.

When an accomplishment is made and been provided to you, consider having some appreciation. Not gratitude with a string attached!!
    If you reread this tread, you can find a lot of posts where I wrote the words "tank you", if you want more you have just to ask.

There is plenty of information available on this website to figure out everything you need.
    Maybe I'm blind, but I'm still don't seeing the answer to the my simple questions.

Why you rom works, what is the magic ingredient that makes your kake better than mine ?

BTW - No, this is not hacking. Nothing has been done to jeopardize the integrity of Palm's code.
    Do you really think that hack something is only when you put your hands to binary code with an hex editor or a disassembler ? I if it is the case please define your work with a better word.
    Last edited by The Solutor; 02/02/2006 at 10:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bertieb
    jgm

; he/she is an ***** and is incredibly rude.
    Thanks a lot for this example of fair play and netiquette.

Maibe I can use your style the next time I reply to an your post.
    Just a Reminder,

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    To all interested,
    It is pretty simple to learn how to do a Custom Rom.
    Thru-out this Post many references are made to Posts Titled:

Custom ROM by a dummy 4 dummies
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=rom

Custom Roms And Rom Hacking
    http://shadowmite.com/wiki/index.php...nd_Rom_Hacking

Custom ROM creation tutorial - basic steps
    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,18762.0.html
    And it's fun!
    Just take the Full one Cranium posted, and add or subtract anything you want.
    Just call me Berd.
    Good morning James!!
    Are you planning to do it?

Or I think that we can do it just removing unwanted German files. Is it correct? Can you list them for us?
    The current Cust1 from either place I posted will have only the 7 files needed. The others I am not going to change right away. The list is everything ending in DE that is not on the list of seven. Too many to list here. It might be easier to take the custom1 and just add what you need.

If there is a large request for the others I will look at doing them.

The current Cust1 from either place I posted will have only the 7 files needed. The others I am not going to change right away. The list is everything ending in DE that is not on the list of seven. Too many to list here. It might be easier to take the custom1 and just add what you need.

If there is a large request for the others I will look at doing them.
    OK James, sorry for the stupid request about listing all files!!
    A version Custom 1 + Versa would be very apreciated......but if there is an easy way to identify all Versamail files I could do it by my self (i.e. Versa*.*).....or trying to do it!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot again.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    Vitto, the versamail files are

MM*.*

but pay attention to files MMS*.*

They are not from versamail, but files used to send and recive multimedia messages.

Sorry if I repeat myself, the files deDE in refined ROM are 9 and not 7 (I'm still don't know there are to files added by mistake or if the list posted from jamesgangut is incomplete).
    I am not sure what you are asking for?!?

I have told you and listed what I have been doing if you read through the thread.

The original ROM I extracted for what ever reason has some kind of issue with restoring 255.

CraniumFunk extracted a ROM that we were able to make work to restore 255.

I then RECREATED all my ROMs based on CraniumFunks extracted ROM.

While creating my ROMs discovered that the process to update the carrierdb to 255 was done either before, during or after the Lang Selection screen.

I then posted ROMs with two langs.

Then I figured out which files were needed so you don't have to keep an entire second lang. I posted those files.

You then asked what I did to create my ROMs, I told you to use the PALM stucture I had used (because this is what I had done) then I told you you need to recreate the ROM as stated before (Which again I had to do). I told you exectly what I had done. I have read your posts and assumed you knew how to use the tools to do what I had done.

I hope that answers all of your questions.

OK James, sorry for the stupid request about listing all files!!
    A version Custom 1 + Versa would be very apreciated......but if there is an easy way to identify all Versamail files I could do it by my self (i.e. Versa*.*).....or trying to do it!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot again.
    I'll do it for you.

Look for it in an hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor
    Vitto, the versamail files are

MM*.*

but pay attention to files MMS*.*

They are not from versamail, but files used to send and recive multimedia messages.

Sorry if I repeat myself, the files deDE in refined ROM are 9 and not 7 (I'm still don't know there are to files added by mistake or if the list posted from jamesgangut is incomplete).
    The files I have in ROM that make it work are as follows.

1-DigitizerPnl_deDE
    2-IIDataLib_deDE
    3-LatinLocModule-2X_deDE
    4-LocalLib_deDE
    5-LocsLib_deDE
    6-SetupApp_deDE
    7-SplashscreenColor-2X_deDE
    What am I missing here?

BTW there are more files for VersaMail than the MM files. The MMS Transport are for texting but there are MMSDcard etc. that are VersaMail files.

I then RECREATED all my ROMs based on CraniumFunks extracted ROM
    Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding, I was overlooked that the original (working) ROM was built by Craniumfunk and not by you.

Simply you cant answer to my question because you don't have the answer, only CF has the answer, isn't it ?
    The files I have in ROM that make it work are as follows.

1-DigitizerPnl_deDE
    2-IIDataLib_deDE
    3-LatinLocModule-2X_deDE
    4-LocalLib_deDE
    5-LocsLib_deDE
    6-SetupApp_deDE
    7-SplashscreenColor-2X_deDE
    What am I missing here?

In your rom (the rom refined you posted) are present the following deDE files, they are 9 not 7, check yourself if you don't trust me.

DigitizerPnl_deDE.oprc
    IIDataLib_deDE.oprc
    IrLib_deDE.oprc
    LatinLocModule-2X_deDE.oprc
    LocalLib_deDE.oprc
    LocsLib_deDE.oprc
    SetupApp_deDE.oprc
    SplashscreenColor-2X_deDE.oprc
    System_deDE.oprc
    Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding, I was overlooked that the original (working) ROM was built by Craniumfunk and not by you.

Simply you cant answer to my question because you don't have the answer, only CF has the answer, isn't it ?
    CraniumFunk and I went back and forth on this for two days. Many Many messages. It appeared that perhaps there was a change needed in the PALM structure to get 4 files CAP related (read through older psts or the whole other thread about this) to run. When the origanal ROM CF created with these files in the right places the acepalmos.zip file then worked to keep 255. From that point we used the PALM structure when creating ROMS and the 255 stuck.

There isn't more to this. CF figured out how to get the four CAP files to run via the PALM structure. But once the acepalmos.zip was created they are not needed that I can tell.

We released what we found after getting successful tests at once. As we will not completely figure everything out because we don't have documentation. What we did do is find a working solution and let everyone know.

It is all there, we are not hiding anything from you.

In your rom (the rom refined you posted) are present the following deDE files, they are 9 not 7, check yourself if you don't trust me.

DigitizerPnl_deDE.oprc
    IIDataLib_deDE.oprc
    IrLib_deDE.oprc
    LatinLocModule-2X_deDE.oprc
    LocalLib_deDE.oprc
    LocsLib_deDE.oprc
    SetupApp_deDE.oprc
    SplashscreenColor-2X_deDE.oprc
    System_deDE.oprc
    Irlib just a mistake that is for IR port.

System_deDE is needed, Mistake.

There are 8 needed files.