Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor
    jamesgangut

Just to be paranoid do you think is possible to put seven 0Byte lengt files instead of the real ones to fool the phone, or there is some kind of checking at boot ?
    It must read them to get "German" to appear. 24k is pretty little.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Take a look at the ROM the /PALM structure needs to match.
    Ok this is the answer I wanted.

Then you need to have a second lang because the "magic" happens only if the Lang Selection screen appears. The files you need are just those to trigger the that screen.
    This was perfectly clear from the your previous post (#573).
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    3- What is Camcorder icon?
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=105977
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    James, GREAT like always!!!

4 questions:
    1- How many MB will we loose in having 2 languages?
    2- Do u advice me to update even if:
    - I used the file you posted to fix emocions and they work fine
    - My Carrier DB has always shown (I don't know why!!) 255
    - I used your last release (post #378) that should have already fixed AmrDecLib, ins't it?
    3- What is Camcorder icon?
    4- Does these last creations include last BT files (version 2.0 I think) or the previously posted 1.3 (I think)?

Thanks as always for all yuor efforts.
    1- 24k now
    2- ?????
    4- Current BT files.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

No luck for me at the moment.

I'm tried to upgrade the my previously built Italian only ENA ROM, following the steps below.

I mantained all from the "revised" ROM but the ace-palmos.zip and the related md5.

I'm added 9 enUS files to force the selection screen.

9 and not 7 because the deDE files are 9 in the revised ROM.

The 9 files are the following:

DigitizerPnl_enUS.oprc
    IIDataLib_enUS.oprc
    IrLib_enUS.oprc
    LatinLocModule-2X_enUS.oprc
    LocalLib_enUS.oprc
    LocsLib_enUS.oprc
    SetupApp_enUS.oprc
    SplashscreenColor-2X_enUS.oprc
    System_enUS.oprc

I'm also swapped the SMS related file.

I upgrade the phone (full upgrade not rev cvt2/ace) and I got the selection screen between Italian and (fake) english. But when I checked the infos on the phone I got the uglly 249 number.

What I'm miss, where I'm wrong ?
    Try changing one of the newer ROMs to fit your needs. It was more than just the Palm Structure.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieBoot
    Bluetooth bug with built in BMW hands-free is now fixed in this update. THAT is worthwhile to me.
    I've been waiting for this update for almost 9 months now so my unlocked GSM Treo can talk to my BMW M3.

I did the update but am apparently still having problems with the Bluetooth connection. Before the update it would do the continual loop/reset despite trying every possible solution. Now post update it says "Bluetooth Connection in Progress" for about 45 seconds and then quits for about 10 only to restart the same message again -- it did this my entire 40 minute drive. I tried making and receiving calls but it wouldn't go to the BMW. Meanwhile the BMW display doesn't show anything different nor can I use the Phone option (per usual) in the Navigation system.

I'm not sure whether it is trying to download all of my contacts (~3,000), is in another endless loop or something else.

The BMW Bluetooth system did work briefly with a Sony K750i.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Try changing one of the newer ROMs to fit your needs.
    To "meet my needs" I have to remove all US files (but seven or nine of them), add all the italian ones, add all my favourite programs etc...
    Is a lon work that I've already done and dont I want to repeat it stupidly.

Frankly I think the rigth way is:

jamesgangut has find a way to obtain a working rom, jamesgangut explayn to the community how.

Instead you are still avoiding the my questions giving conflicting answers:

Post #598
    Take a look at the ROM the /PALM structure needs to match.
    Post #606

It was more than just the Palm Structure

In post #591 you are speaking about 7 files when the files are 9

Files:
    DigitizerPnl_XXXX.oprc
    IIDatalib_XXXX.oprc
    LatinLocModule-2X_XXXX.oprc
    LocalLib_XXXX.oprcLocsLib_XXXX.oprc
    SetupApp_XXXX.oprc
    SplashscreenColor-2X_XXXX.oprc
    I'm sorry but I think that this is not a good way to help people (if this is your scope).
    Yesterday I took the plunge and, from my Mac PowerBook, I did the 1.20 upgrade using the full LAP zip file from Jamesgangut's download site. I grew weary of checking the Palm download site everyday and seeing that "coming soon" for the Mac release.

I followed the instructions exactly and it all went through like clockwork. No hassles.

I chose not to restore anything from the backup because I wanted everything, inlcuding the Prefs files, to be clean. Once I set the Prefs and installed MissingSync and BackupMan, I did a "Mac overrides handheld" HotSync for calendar, contacts, tasks and memos. Then I re-installed the 3rd party apps that I can not live without:

DateBk5
    pTunes
    WorldMate
    eReaderPro
    AquaDive (and restored my divelog database from BackupMan)
    TideTool
    FileMan
    TimeCopy
    Expense@Hand

After installing each one, I ran a test to see if there were any problems. I have used all the apps during the last 24 hours. No problems so far.

I have not reinstalled other 3rd party apps such as some games, ZLauncher, Beiks. I'll let it run for a week or two in its current state and see what happens.

But, so far so good.

Phone info shows: Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-LAP, Carrier DB: 251

Maybe Palm should hire James....

Regards
    Peter
    To "meet my needs" I have to remove all US files (but seven or nine of them), add all the italian ones, add all my favourite programs etc...
    Is a lon work that I've already done and dont I want to repeat it stupidly.

Frankly I think the rigth way is:

jamesgangut has find a way to obtain a working rom, jamesgangut explayn to the community how.

Instead you are still avoiding the my questions giving conflicting answers:

Post #598

Post #606

In post #591 you are speaking about 7 files when the files are 9

I'm sorry but I think that this is not a good way to help people (if this is your scope).

Look, To make my ROMS work what I had to do was this...

I took the Full ROM from CraniumFunk and the I had to re-strip them. This is not stupid, It had to be done to get 255 to work. I am not sure that the PALM structure solved the problem or not but I know you HAVE to redo the ROM files from the original one created by CraniumFunk.

I do support for people all day everday, this here is a hobby. I have given to this community. I had to read and figure this out on my own. If you don't like my responses fine, but then don't ask me for help.

Will you be posting revised stripped ROMs for 1.20 LAP?
    Quote Originally Posted by sbkoh
    Will you be posting revised stripped ROMs for 1.20 LAP?
    I am working on it right now. Should be soon.

Look, To make my ROMS work what I had to do was this...
    I have no doubt that you have worked hardly, but I think that if you share your knowledge and not only the files, other people can get one step ahead and maybe, next time you have to built your roms 127 times only and not 255.

This is the way that maked linux a success.

I took the Full ROM from CraniumFunk and the I had to re-strip them. This is not stupid
    Shurely, is not stupid when you are the first man that obtain a good result, but become stupid if the second and the 3rd men are forced to start from zero too.

I do support for people all day everday, this here is a hobby
    I know perfectly that this is a hobby, is a hobby for me too (for my work I'm still using a fully working and rock solid p800, but I'm still hoping that the crashy treo can become better and better day after day).

HAVE to redo the ROM files from the original one created by CraniumFunk
    Listen, I like hacking, but I like hacking, only when I understand what I'm doing. Just taking a prebuilt ROM w/o the knowledge on what other people was based is almost pointless.

This is just my opinion about this kind of things, not a any kind of personal about you.
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 02/07/2006 at 01:04 AM.

I have no doubt that you have worked hardly, but I think that if you share your knowledge and not only the files, other people can get one step ahead and maybe, next time you have to built your roms 127 times only and not 255.

This is the way that maked linux a success.
    First off, don't kid yourself chief! Linux was *not* made a success by one or two people contributing and the rest of the community following the lead. Linux was a success because of many groups of people working together towards the bettering of a product, regardless how big or small of a contribution!

-----clip------
    When an accomplishment is made and been provided to you, consider having some appreciation. Not gratitude with a string attached!! http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...milies/mad.gif

There is plenty of information available on this website to figure out everything you need. Many of the questions that are repeatedly being asked have all been answered. Do a search. You don't need James to build individual custom roms for each person. Its enough that he has several stripped "templates" available, which you can individually tweak slightly to your preferences. This way, if any changes or upgrades are made, the templates can be updated and u decide how u wanna proceed. It's a nightmare remembering what files are posted where and what needs to be updated. So work with it.

I know perfectly that this is a hobby, is a hobby for me too (for my work I'm still using a fully working and rock solid p800, but I'm still hoping that the crashy treo can become better and better day after day).

Listen, I like hacking, but I like hacking, only when I understand what I'm doing. Just taking a prebuilt ROM w/o the knowledge on what other people was based is almost pointless.

This is just my opinion about this kind of things, not a any kind of personal about you.
    Yes, this is a hobby for many of us. James & I have been busting our hump recently to get this to the community with the hope of delivering a rock solid rom. You don't want a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone.

BTW - No, this is not hacking. Nothing has been done to jeopardize the integrity of Palm's code.
    If James Makes a Custom Rom that solves some of our probs and makes it available at the expense of his own free time, which by the look of these posts, most of his FREE Time, and not everyone in the universe is able to figure it out, Do we have a right to expect him to give support? No! Do we have a right to complain? Yes, but Does he deserve it? No!
    Can we expect him to have all the answers? No!
    He has gone far beyond expectations.
    Thanks James & Cranium
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/02/2006 at 01:30 AM.
    Just call me Berd.
    I just want to say thank you to James and Cranium for all their hard work. I plan to put the most recent custom rom in tomarrow when I get home from work. I really appreciate the fact that both of you took up a lot of your own free time to develop working custom roms that will help with space issues by getting rid of apps I never use. Thank you both.
    LAP Stripped ROM

Here's the link. No Versa, Real, Tutorials. English only. Same fixes as ENA SMS, carrier etc.
    James,

I for one really do appreciate your help. If it was not for your ROM download, I would still be daily checking Palm's download site and getting annoyed by "The Treo 650 Update is not yet available for Macintosh but should be shortly". Palm should be grateful to you too...

As I mentioned above, I have successfully installed the FULL LAP version from your download. After 1.5 days, it is working well.

I am wondering whether I should leave it as-is or go ahead with the stripped LAP ROM that you have just uploaded.

What are the benefits of the stripped version, apart from getting rid of the software that I do not need. Are there other benefits? I saw that you earlier mentioned that you would have more space for dbCache. What does that mean and what benefits ensue?

And, are there any additional risks with using a stripped ROM?

Thanks you.

Regards
    Peter
    http://www.peterwalker.com
    James & Cranium,
    I know you guys ran alot of test flashes to make sure all is OK.
    But, I thought I would mention my experience for reassurance.
    Hard-Reset, Still get 255.
    Zero-Out Reset, Still get 255
    Reload my Custom, Rom Only (rev cvt2, ace) skiped FW update.
    Still get 255.
    Did another Hard-Reset after Loadin my Custom.
    Still get 255.
    Yea, Maybe you already knew that would be the results,
    But, Hay! I justed wanted that "Warm Fuzzy Feeling" you talked about.
    Just call me Berd.
    Solutor, James and Cranium have provided all the information but because they have been learning step by step they have been providing the information step by step. You need to read from the beginning to the end of the thread and remember that some things said earlier will be changed later. I have followed this thread all along and have no problem understanding what James and Cranium are telling us.

That said, I am sure that you meant no insult and that it was merely a matter of poorly chosen words. English appears to not be your first language so I hope we can all cut you a little slack there.

Finally, to James and Cranium a deep bow of thanks and respect. People like you really do make the world a better place, not so much for the practical benefits you bring as for the great attitude towards your fellow man.