Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dbulante
    I am contemplating on upgrading to this new GSM version. Would it be safe to apply this upgrade to my phone (via custom ROM), or do I need to have a specific ROW firmware version first installed on my Treo prior to upgrading? If so, what ROW version should I upgrade (or downgrade) to prior to this new installation?
    Right now the best way to do this is use Palm's updater first. Then if you want to do a Custom ROM do it after.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by ncst
    @jamesgangut

can you make a custom rom for english only, no tutorials, no versamail?
    ***clipped***
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 01/21/2006 at 11:23 PM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Anybody experienced this or it's just mine? After I installed the update, I cannot hear any sound when playing a video.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Right now the best way to do this is use Palm's updater first. Then if you want to do a Custom ROM do it after.
    Does this mean it is safe to use the unlocked GSM Palm Updater 1.20 on an unlocked Cingular branded phone? In other words, install the GSM over the Cingular-specific software first, and then install the custom ROM? I get conflicting comments. I read from other posts that one has to install an earlier ROM version first. Has anyone successfully attempted to do the above?

Thanks!
    No, this is for Unbranded unlocked GSM phones. I am pretty sure the Palm updater will fail.

**Guessing**
    I think you can put an older custom ROM like the 1.23 or1.28 ROW. Then try the Palm update and move forward. But, I don't know that.
    Last edited by jamesgangut; 01/21/2006 at 11:23 PM.

No, this is for Unbranded unlocked GSM phones. I am pretty sure the Palm updater will fail.

**Guessing**
    I think you can put an older custom ROM like the 1.23 or1.28 ROW. Then try the Palm update and move forward. But, I don't know that.
    Yes, you are correct. You can. First you Flashback to 1.23 (it doesn't check for version)
    Then you can do the Official, then your custom.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/21/2006 at 10:58 AM.
    Just call me Berd.
    You do want to keep in mind, that though you can go back to cing, it's difficult.
    You have to again reflash w/ 1.23 then an older cing like 1.15 then you can do 1.17
    It can be a pest though, sometimes you have to SD Flash an older cing (rev cvt, ace)
    just so the tokens will update. Because cing updater checks version.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matro
    the updater page says "Smartphone purchased in North America, English only. If you purchased your smartphone outside of North America, select a country or region to get the appropriate updater information."

so we foreigners have to wait for our localized release (I'm from Italy).
    I am from Malaysia, did a update yesterday. Very carefully reading the update guide and got it updated. Then only did I find out that I updated the NA North America Version instead of the LAP Asia Pacific version. Well so far everythings seems to work fine.

Wonder what the difference is?

Andy Ng.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdboy
    did anybody from asia tried the new update
    im from asia.. and ive tried the official update..(LAP) the unofficial one (ROW and APR).. downgraded and upgraded again, and here are the results.

1. timestamps issue not corrected with both official and unofficial update (although ive heard some treo owners doesnt experience this)
    2. LAP has no CJKOS and PenP; ROW has CJKOS only; APR has both
    3. ROW and APR (before upgrading to official) would show firmware 1.70 on the phone info. LAP would show 1.71
    4. if you have LAP right now and you want chinese support, update it with ROW. If you want chinese support and input, update it with APR
    5. flashing over the official ROM with unofficial ROM (eg. LAP - ROW; LAP -APR) wont affect the fw version. thats what i did on my treo. i had LAP and upgraded it with APR (to enable chinese support and input) and my treo still says fw 1.71
    6. If you have 1.20 ROW or APR with 1.70FW and you want to upgrade your firmware to 1.71, you have to do the ff:
    a. downgrade your treo with the 1.23 unofficial ROM
    b. Flash it with the official 1.20 release (will make the FW 1.71)
    c. Flash it with the unofficial APR or ROW or any ROM of your choice.
    7. Correct me if im wrong. Reactions are welcome!
    8. Birds do suddenly apprear when alone!!
    The volume issue is always in the fimware.
    1.28 Low volume/long DTMF tones
    1.43 Louder volume, echo issues, shorted DTMF tones
    1.51 lower volume, but still better than 1.28, better DTMF tones
    1.71 volume seems either the same or loader than 1.51/ same DTMF

This is what I found.
    I see that others have posted that there is no volume improvement in this update but I have experienced something of an improvement over what I had previously (1.13 / 1.51). What is also strange is that after I installed the update and restored my 650, the system volume was extremely low (the clicks you hear when you move around the screen and beep that happens when you connect the charger). I went into VC (4.30) and disabled it; the sound was loud, even louder than I had noticed it before the update. I have made a few calls and have not re-enabled VC yet. The calls have been fine. I will test further but at this point, at least the system volume is lower with VC enabled for me.
    That was my question all along. How do you reflash it to earlier versions so you can basically start all over???
    use the sd method, and do a search for fw 1.23.
    What is the SD method?
    Here is a link to file I use. http://rapidshare.de/files/11470717/rom128full.zip.html
    1- Backup Treo
    2- Copy /Palm dir (keeping stucture intact) to root of SD (No other palm dir)
    3- Hard reset treo
    4- plugin power
    5- insert SD
    6- wait
    7- Wait, don't take SD out until you see lang selection
    8- remove SD
    9- setup treo

Then try Palm update.

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I had a unlocked cingular 650 with FW:1.51 , SW:1.17 , HW: A , CNG and I just followed the previous threads in the forums and downgraded to 1.23 and then ran the Unlocked GSM 1.20 updater from Palm and eveything worked just find.

The volume was very loud, I had to turn it down to no bars, the Web was pretty fast - compared to previous. But I have not checked others things yet ... I am waiting a day and then I will put my apps back on.

So, far everything seems stable!!
    Is it just me or did the update kill the flashing green LED when the phone radio is on??

@jamesgangut...I used your stripped ROM, did that screw up my green led??

help.....
    Last edited by joolsca; 01/21/2006 at 01:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oahu
    I had a unlocked cingular 650 with FW:1.51 , SW:1.17 , HW: A , CNG and I just followed the previous threads in the forums and downgraded to 1.23 and then ran the Unlocked GSM 1.20 updater from Palm and eveything worked just find.

The volume was very loud, I had to turn it down to no bars, the Web was pretty fast - compared to previous. But I have not checked others things yet ... I am waiting a day and then I will put my apps back on.

So, far everything seems stable!!
    First off, I'm glad everything went good w/ the update. Which it should.
    I too left the cing firmware sometime ago. I have been watching the updates for both cing & unbranded very close and by in large I believe everyone who made the switch are happier. But I still like some reassurance. So over here: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=104970
    I started a thread to get feedback from those of us who made the switch from cing fw to 1.71/1.20.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by joolsca
    Is it just me or did the update kill the flashing green LED when the phone radio is on??

help.....
    This has been seen before, by myself as well. It has to do with something in your Saved Prefs. Ther are two options, delete you saved prefs file or delete entries not assigned to an app. I choose the latter, still had to setup a few things again but it works now.

help.....

james, did you say earlier that your fix for this was to delete preferences in filez Saved Preferences that say -none- ?

oops..posted at the same time....this fixed it! Thanks :-)
    Last edited by joolsca; 01/21/2006 at 02:10 AM.
    james, did you say earlier that your fix for this was to delete preferences in filez Saved Preferences that say -none- ?
    Yes.