Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    So the only difference is that the software version number will not change? Otherwise, the firmware and software will both be updated?
    Yep
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Perhaps some kind soul (James??) can point me in the right direction with this. I was happily running the stripped chinese version 1.71/1.20-ROW with not a care in the world. Along comes the new and approved ENA version. Leave well enough alone? NOT I! So, into the breach I go with James' new stripped version (Again, much thanks to James, bless his head) and while nothing bad happens, no change to the ENA version either. Being a mac tribesman, first loadiing the palm version is not an immediate possiblity for me. So, where's all this going you ask? Good question.

1. Is there any reason to upgrade from very nice 1.20=Row version?
    2. Will loading the new Palm (mac) version allow me to then load James' stripped version on top? (don't like or need versamail/Realplayer)
    3. Is digging up a prior official Palm ROW version and loading that and then the ENA an idea? Can an older version load ontop of my current 1.71/1.20 ROW.
    4. Why do birds suddenly appear whenever you are near????

Thanks in advance for any and all help
    Stephan
    Thanks James...I will try one of your custom ROMs tonight most probably and report back...unless you think you are going to make any more changes I will use the ones you posted last? You're a superstar.

The only oddity I have come across so far is having to reinput my eReader Pro reg code...

Cheers, J
    Quote Originally Posted by neps
    Hm, I was going to try something similar, but after seeing the steps you had to take, I may wait. I was hoping not to have to install Palm Desktop on the PC, so I wouldn't clutter up a loaned machine.

I guess I'll be freshing this: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...edgsm_mac.html
    I could have waited but that would have been most unlike me...

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Palm$ $Desktop$ $uninstalls$ $reasonably$ $cleanly$ $in$ $Winders$...

Now I just have to pluck up the courage to try flashing a custom ROM from SD...

I can see no earthly reason why Palm couldn't have posted the Mac update at the same time. Presumably all the data is the same and it just had to be repackaged as a DMG or PKG file...

Although the last time I flashed the 650 ROM via the Mac it seemed pretty clumsy anyway...deleting the user backup folder manually and stuff...so no real installer anyway.

J
    Sorry for my ignorance, I have read this entire thread and Im not sure if this applies to a Verizon branded phone?

If not, then I wait till Palms website offers it specifically?

Thanks!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I think this applies to Unlocked GSM phones only. But I think there are also ways to flash your Verizon handset to be Unlocked...but you'd better wait for an answer from an expert! I'm a novice at flashing Treos...
    Fell at the first hurdle! I am away from home and can only use the SD method of updating. I followed a link to get the FULL version 'Treo_650_120_ENA_full.zip'
    Unzipping the file using WinZip took me to 66 files. The 'read me' text file tells me to use shadowmites rom instructions. Problem is it mentions in step 3 to copy the Palm and Rom folders to the SD card... WinZip does no show any folders, just the 66 unzipped files. Am I doing something very basically wrong that I cannot see these two folders?

Duh, OK used Explore and got them... basic or what?
    Last edited by scudder; 01/20/2006 at 10:28 AM.
    Yes. I did use Palms updater but it would freeze after it tried to flash the rom. I never could get it to stop doing that. I thought i would need to revert to original palm software and firmware to get the updater to work. What do I do?
    SMS/MESSAGES TIME STAMPS BUG ARE STILL IN 1.71 120 ENA
    this rom is the same exact rom as the Chinese ROM 171 1.20APR version minus CJKOS!!!

If timestamps are important you should revert back to 1.28/1.31

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    I am not sure why but the solution has been to run Palms update, then apply just the custom ROM.
    I ran the Palm 1.20/1.71 ENA updater and it took -- showed updated in Phone Info -- but it didn't work -- and through all the ROMs and updates prior I have never ever had a glitch. Even FileZ reset the thing. But James's stripped ROM (English, no Real, no Versa), via SD Card, saved the day. However, I also got the
    firmware error message, as shown on this thread -- so I decided to hell with that, and just updated the ROM (since I already had 1.20 from official Palm update. In fact, I had it on from James's tweak of the leaked Chinese version) ... and that worked great. Thanks James.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23
    Sorry for my ignorance, I have read this entire thread and Im not sure if this applies to a Verizon branded phone?

If not, then I wait till Palms website offers it specifically?

Thanks!
    Not Verizon (CDMA)
    Only GSM
    Just call me Berd.
    My update crashed, but I was finally able to get it to work after doing it again. I had to do a hard reset and install under a different hotsync name.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    If any forgot, please remember a few good suggestions
    not always necassary, but has been pretty reliable.
    1. Hard Reset First
    2. Flash Back to 1.23
    3. Install Official Update as per Official Instructions.
    4. Then if all has gone well, then Do James' Rom Flash. as per SD method (rev cvt2, ace)
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by luria
    Perhaps some kind soul (James??) can point me in the right direction with this. I was happily running the stripped chinese version 1.71/1.20-ROW with not a care in the world. Along comes the new and approved ENA version. Leave well enough alone? NOT I! So, into the breach I go with James' new stripped version (Again, much thanks to James, bless his head) and while nothing bad happens, no change to the ENA version either. Being a mac tribesman, first loadiing the palm version is not an immediate possiblity for me. So, where's all this going you ask? Good question.

1. Is there any reason to upgrade from very nice 1.20=Row version?
    2. Will loading the new Palm (mac) version allow me to then load James' stripped version on top? (don't like or need versamail/Realplayer)
    3. Is digging up a prior official Palm ROW version and loading that and then the ENA an idea? Can an older version load ontop of my current 1.71/1.20 ROW.
    4. Why do birds suddenly appear whenever you are near????

Thanks in advance for any and all help
    Stephan
    At this point, I don't see any major advantages to the ENA over APR. except 1.5 mb ram gain. We all got that gain w/ james' Row.
    ENA has No china. Also this is an Official Update (warranty?)
    So far, best success has been from first Hard Reset,Flashing back to 1.23,Install Official,Then do the James' Rom.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by nertz_fred
    Hi all,

I have an unlocked GSM purchased in the UK 2 weeks ago. Firmware 1.28, Software 1.13-ROW. I'm assuming the upgrade under discussion in this thread is from 1.13 to 1.20.

So how come so many people also say they have Firmware 1.71? Does one need that, where is it found, etc...

Cheers
    Anyone on GSM can use the update.
    Instructs repeated thru-out thread.
    link to Official Update at Beggining of thread.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGEVP
    Yes. I did use Palms updater but it would freeze after it tried to flash the rom. I never could get it to stop doing that. I thought i would need to revert to original palm software and firmware to get the updater to work. What do I do?
    Sometimes You have to do a Zero-Out-Reset (Search Forum for instructs)
    Then start from scratch as per instructs thru-out this thread.
    Just call me Berd.
    Hi Berdinkerdickle, thanks for the quick reply, but maybe my question wasn't clear. What is Firmware 1.71? Where does it come from?
    did anybody from asia tried the new update
    The weather in Richmond, B.C. is

The weather in MY Place is

For Car and Pictures Enthusiast!
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cars
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cebupics
    Hi Berdinkerdickle, thanks for the quick reply, but maybe my question wasn't clear. What is Firmware 1.71? Where does it come from?
    It comes from Palm, Just like the one you have, but newer.
    It is supposed fix certain probs with resets, speed, use, so-on.
    Newer Blazer 4.3.2.1, Newer VersaMail. You might want to go to the palm site and read up on it.
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...lockedgsm.html
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/20/2006 at 01:30 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    The firmware 1.71 (verses the software 1.20) is for the phone reception, connection, fix dropped calls, so-on.
    Just call me Berd.