Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From ZZTechs, the makers of ZLauncher...

ZLink (BETA): http://www.zztechs.com/en/zlink/beta.htm

* ZLink can create a link for applications (including Application, Panel and DA) stored on device (including on an expansion card or in RAM). Applications stored in RAM will be moved to the expansion card along with the link created.
    * You can create a link for applications/documents under any expansion card directory. (Except the ZLink directory)
    * Supports create a link for a specific database (e.g. E-book, image) stored on the device (including RAM/ROM) and expansion card.
    * Supports create links for file (MP3, Jpeg, Mpeg, TXT etc) stored on expansion card to open music, image, video and text quickly.
    * Supports create a link for a batch of files under any directory on an expansion card.
    * Supports create a phone link.
    * You can use a different icon for each link. Supports Zlauncher Iconset.
    * Supports buffer. With the buffer, you can open frequently used links, and extend the life of your battery and expansion card. You can specify the size of the buffer.
    * Supports multi-slot devices and navigate to different expansion cards on the same time device at the same time.
    * Hide link when expansion card removed.

I've been playing around with it a bit and it seems pretty cool. ZZTechs' scaled down way to move apps and associated DBs to card if you don't want/need all the other ZLauncher functionality.

Plus the ability to create links to individual files and phone numbers (and give them an icon in your launcher) is pretty convenient for certain things. I've created a couple launcher shortcuts to MP3s via ZLink, and it opens Pocket Tunes in the background,which is pretty slick. I don't think it recognizes playlists (yet) though, which would be even better (they have a defined list of file type/application associations that I'm sure will expand in time).

I've just been creating shortcuts and launcher icons to various individual files so far and having fun (yes, I am easily amused)
    Very cool! This looks interesting, espcially the part about being able to link and move specific databases. I wonder if it would be possible to use this to move the Java plugin back and forth to the card when prior to launching java apps! That alone would make this app worth it!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    ...I wonder if it would be possible to use this to move the Java plugin back and forth to the card when prior to launching java apps! That alone would make this app worth it!!
    I was just now thinking of the Java plugin! SOME app mover has to be able to do it effectively, right? I'm gonna keep playing around and see what's up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    I was just now thinking of the Java plugin! SOME app mover has to be able to do it effectively, right? I'm gonna keep playing around and see what's up.

Thanks. I can't test it out right, so I'll be anxiously awaiting your results!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    Well, that didn't work out quite like I expected (re: wanted).

there is a Device tab in ZLink, which list all RAM and ROM apps that you can create a shortcut to. IBM Java VM is listed there. Using the Create Link function and choosing to move the application and related database(s) only moved the 28k IBM_Java_VM.prc and a couple stray J9MS* files that were created the last time I ran KMaps (from the card - never figured out why KMaps leaves so many scraps in RAM after being run from the card).

So all in all ZLink only moved about 30k from those 20 billion Java-related files in RAM (ok, there are less than 20 billion - it just seems like there are 20 billion).
    Hmmm... that's too bad. However I wonder if it is possible to just manually move the related db's you want to the appropiate zlink folder on the card. Will zlink automatically launch all the files in that folder then? I know this works on zlauncher...I sometimes manually copy a related db to the zlauncher app folder and zlauncher will move to ram and back to the card upon launching. I wonder if this would also work with Zlink?

Another option would be to change the creator ID's on the java plugins so that zlink will move them along with the main Java VM...

just found this program and it is sweet! much faster than linkstart.
    Anyone know if the links work with other launchers? I'm mostly interested in using it with LauncherX.
  9.    #9  
    Hersko: yes the shortcuts work from any launcher, including the built-in one.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hmmm... that's too bad. However I wonder if it is possible to just manually move the related db's you want to the appropiate zlink folder on the card. Will zlink automatically launch all the files in that folder then? I know this works on zlauncher...I sometimes manually copy a related db to the zlauncher app folder and zlauncher will move to ram and back to the card upon launching. I wonder if this would also work with Zlink?

Another option would be to change the creator ID's on the java plugins so that zlink will move them along with the main Java VM...
    Hey there! I got Java to work from the card! Your post here sparked my experimentation. Note that getting it to work had nothing to do with ZLink, so I started a separate thread. Thanks for the idea about manually copying files to the card!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    ZLink sounds good. It would replace PowerRun. Right?
    ...can prevent unnecessary threads.
    It is a great replacement for PowerRun. As described above for getting java onto an SD card (to run KMaps for example), it'll also do the same for apps that require the Appforge Booster pack files.

I've always avoided Appforge and Java based Palm apps because of the overhead to keep the supporting files around, but I may have to rethink this now.

Of course, once the license pricing structure is released I may weigh it against just making the switch to Z-Launcher. Hell, if I'd known that Z-Launcher aliases worked like this, that would have been excuse enough to make the switch from LauncherX a while ago rather than buying PowerRun.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I too am in the LauncherX/PowerRun camp. I wish someone would buy LauncherX and undertake an update. I have been hesitant to use Z-launcher because of the overhead. Zlink will replace PowerRun and allow me to off load some Java on the card.
    ...can prevent unnecessary threads.
    Zlink looks really cool...What is the difference between using ZLink, and just creating a link in Megalauncher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wink40
    I wish someone would buy LauncherX and undertake an update.
    Will Lau, creator of SnapperMail, has been the owner of LX for sometime now. I agree that its too bad that he has not as innovative with the apps that he owns for some months now. Here's to hoping for the return of a 3 eyed Blinky with a powerful launcher, email, and some-kind-of-surprise hell of an app in the near future!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    Will Lau, creator of SnapperMail, has been the owner of LX for sometime now. I agree that its too bad that he has not as innovative with the apps that he owns for some months now. Here's to hoping for the return of a 3 eyed Blinky with a powerful launcher, email, and some-kind-of-surprise hell of an app in the near future!

Interesting. I didn't know that. I will be interesting to see what he does with LuncherX in the future...

So I only imagine Z link goes into RAM ..Correct?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    So I only imagine Z link goes into RAM ..Correct?
    Yep, it must be in RAM to launch its linked apps. it's about a 200k file, so not too much of a hit there.
    I did find over the last couple of days that if I had a lot of apps "Linked" through ZLink (around 30, I think) it was enough to push my startup far enough that the SD slot wasn't initialized during boot after a crash.

This menat that if my treo crashed, after restarting, it would not recognize the SD card no matter what I did apart from a clean soft reset. (This was the problem that Jeff Gibson updated CardKeeper to attempt to repair some time ago.) I found that if I disabled a number of my startup/background (disabled: LEDOff, KBLightsOff, UninstallManager, RLock, VolumeCare;; remaining intact: Chatter, Verichat, QuickCheck, McPhling) items the device would return to working normally.

ZLink appears to be doing a lot of heavy lifting during startup that isn't problematic until there's a lot of lifting to do. I've gone back to a mix of apps raw on the SD card, stored via PowerRun, and have KMaps loaded up in ZLink.

Still contemplating giving ZLauncher a full trial instead.
  20.    #20  
    bklech: if you have time, also report your ZLink findings to ZZTechs since it's still a beta. I'm sure they'd love to hear your feedback before a full release.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast