1.    #1  
    The bottom (down) part of my 5-way button is now black. All the paint has worn off of an area about 1/8" square. Anyone else have this problem? It makes my Precious look like crap!

I called Cingular and they said it is not covered under warranty. . .

I think the button should have been made of solid silver plastic instead of being painted. It is such a high use button that the paint has to wear off with normal use. My email button is starting to do the same thing.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Mine's starting to come off - on the 5-way button too, by the up arrow and the down arrow. That is why I'm considering of getting a rubber case for it so it doesn't get beat up much.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    Next to the up arrow the paint is coming off. You can really see it at night ast the light comes through. My center button is also rough now, no longer smooth.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    The bottom (down) part of my 5-way button is now black. All the paint has worn off of an area about 1/8" square. Anyone else have this problem? It makes my Precious look like crap!

I think the button should have been made of solid silver plastic instead of being painted. It is such a high use button that the paint has to wear off with normal use. My email button is starting to do the same thing.
    Same thing started happening to my first (sprint) 650 within the first month. Heres the bad news, it just gets worse.

Got a new 650 in October (warranty replaced old one when its little brain blew-up) and immedaiatly imporvised a plastic cover for the keyboard inside my Sena flip case to protect the thing.

There is a thread in "Accessories" that discusses the need for an aftermarket keyboard protector.
    My 650 has the blue light coming through at about 2 o'clock on the 5-way. It is really just a pinhole or so and hasn't gotten any worse. I noticed it within the first week or so - not sure if it came that way or if I did it myself. No big deal as far as I am concerned.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    This is why some of us have been asking Seidio to release a keyboard protector for the 650:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=104752
    Yes mine is coming off around the edges pretty good, after only about 2 months. My treo 600 had a full ring around the 5-way where the paint was gone.

Oh well.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I must not use my Treo enough, no wear on the 5-way or keyboard yet. My only wear is coming from the slide pouch case I use. I have a section in the upper left of the silver border that has worn to black. Same thing happened to my 600.
    AT&T iPhone, My Blog!
  9. lua
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller

actually the smooth silver surface is plated (via electrolysis), not painted. solid silver plastic would not give the mirror-like finishing (at least consistently), hence the plating requirement.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    Yeah the paint is coming off on my 5 way at the down arrow. In fact there is no more down arror, just a "splotch" where the paint is missing.

The way I see it, I've had it for more than a year now, and considering how much I use/touch the phone, I'm not surprised. I am dismayed and it would be great if they figured out a way to make it age better, but it doesn't hurt the functionality of the phone, just the look.
  11.    #11  
    I wonder if Palm might want to do something about this. This seems to be a common problem with normal use. They sent me a new sim tray without me even asking. Of course, the sim tray affected the function of the phone, but the paint coming off is only cosmetic, but I still don't like to pay $400 for a device that does this with normal use within a year.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    This is why some of us have been asking Seidio to release a keyboard protector for the 650:

Seidio's skin covers the center panel including the 5-way button. I don't know if a keyboard cover would provide any more protection for the center panel. It would keep the markings on the keys preserved but most skins already cover the center panel.

Shame they don't make all Treos in a darker color to hide the wear. Then again, if they did, the wear would show up as silver.

The face of the Treo seems to be a tad on the sensative side. Sena skins have done a number of several Treos, Seidio holsters wear the top of the Treo, you've got the wear issues around the 5-way button.

Hopefully the new Treos coming out this year will be a little more durable. I wonder if a matte finish would be helpful instead of the shiny silver and blue?
    Mine is coming off on the edge almost the entire way between the left and top arrows. It isnt that big a deal, you can only see it at night. When I see what other treos look like after 6mo-1year, mine is beautiful.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Didn't the Nano people get a nice settlement because of scratches?
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.