Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I reciently was downloading to my card a document emailed to me. The message I got was that there was a memory issue and I should delete one of the files on the card. The card has lots of available memory.
    Any idea as to why this would occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by punchcru
    I reciently was downloading to my card a document emailed to me. The message I got was that there was a memory issue and I should delete one of the files on the card. The card has lots of available memory.
    Any idea as to why this would occur?
    This one took me a bit of digging to figure out -- and their customer service folks had no idea when i called them about it...

There is a 2MB cache file that is created in RAM for all downloaded documents (\PALM\Programs\GoodLink\cache\cacheres.dat). Every time you download a doc, it decreases the cache by that amount. A program like RescoExplorer lets you get there.

You can't actually download to the SD Card. When you download to card, it actually downloads to RAM and then copies to the card (and leaves it in RAM). When you click on the icon to open the doc, it is using the RAM version.

When you get that delete message, it is asking you to delete files in RAM (because it wants to keep it under 2MB total). It *DOES NOT* delete anything on your SD Card. I think it is a bad, misleading, and very confusing message. Just like it is bad to say "Download to Card" and then put it in RAM. SD support seems like a bit of a hack to me.

As an FYI, if you download large files, you can end up filling up more than 2MB and there is no user way to clean this up. I once downloaded 3 2.5MB files at the same time, and filled my RAM completely. There was no clean way out. At the time, I hadn't figured out the cacheing and had to rebuild my Palm from scratch. Similarly, you can't download a file that is bigger than the free RAM you have available, even if your SD card has tons of room...

Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Thank you...it does. it is very confusing... One day these things will be user friendly as far a messages...Thanks again
    Megibow - thanks for the writeup. I've seen that message many times but never figured out what it meant. Once in awhile, I'll get "failed to save download file" (or something to that effect) on files much less than 2MB, so now I'm guessing it's because the RAM cache is full or something.