Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i have a question.. i have a family member who wants to buy a smartphone and she is with cingular....

if she buys a smartphone will she be required to have a data program or can she have it turned off?
    No, not required.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    while data is not required, I think it will be nearly impossible to have a smartphone (especially a Treo) and not use data (web, email , sms, mms, etc). You lose a lot of the utility of the device, and I think Cingular offers a low priced unlimited plan.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Cingular's lowest price unlimited plan for PDA's is $40/month.

Some people on this board have been able to get Cingular's lower priced MEdia Net package ($20/month), but so far I haven't been able to find a rep who would sell it to me for Treo.
    I switched my plan from the Data Connect to the Media plan on Monday with no problems from the Cingular rep. I called, navigated their IVR to the data services support, then asked to swap. There was no problem and I can see the plans being applied to both my wife's and my accounts.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    i heard you can go get the phone without the data plan..
    then go online to the cingular site .. log in and then add the
    media net package...
    i havent done it.. so i can't say it works... but you may want to try..
    if it doesnt work .. then call and add it..
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124

Some people on this board have been able to get Cingular's lower priced MEdia Net package ($20/month), but so far I haven't been able to find a rep who would sell it to me for Treo.
    Its really hit or miss. I purchased my phone online and got the $20 data package. Im pretty sure i picked up the data plan at a later date, and i have called tech support about network access a couple times. I guess they either dont care or dont have a screen that shows the phone i purchased and the plan i have at the same time.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I have been using the Media net unlimited package for about 8 months now, with no problems. I use approx 15 to 20MB per month.
    I just upgraded to a Treo 650 and called Cingular to get the Media Net plan. The rep told me about the 39.99 Data plan and I told her I would just wait and see how much data I use, and she was very quick to point me to the 19.99 Media Net plan. And I had just authorized my Treo with her 5 minutes ealier...
    If you call them after you have the phone, they will set you up with Media Net unlimited. At the Cingular store where I picked up the Treo they swore up and down it wasn't possible.
    To summarize - simply add it using online account to get it for $20/mo. It's hit or miss with the reps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124

I had a CSR add mediaNet to my device. I was originally on the pay as you go 1 cent per kb plan which was costing me about $8 a month. The puter spit me out and I had no plan. I had it restored and found I was on the 3 cents a kb plan. Seems they dropped the 1 cent plan and the puter wouldn't let her restore it. She said she needed to get someone more knowledgeable to restore and I said just put me on MediaNet and she did.

Somehow or another a few months later the puter started charging me $24.95 instead of $19.95. I spoke to a CSR and they corrected the matter and for some reason took $150 off my bill....the $5 overcharge was only for 2 or 3 months that I hadn't noticed.

BUT WHY WORRY ABOUT CONVINCING A CSR WHEN YOU CAN ADD IT TO YOUR PLAN YOUR SELF.

Simply access your account via the web, go to the "My features" page, slect the "available features" tab, scroll down to MediaNet Unlimited $19.95 and hit the ADD button.

I have 4 phones and this option appears on each of the other 3 phones. Of course on mine, it's on the MYfeatures tab instead of the Available features tab.
    adding on to this...are emails through veramail considered Data or SMS through Cingular?
    emails are data.

Furthermore, the AIM network includes sms service. You can use an AIM client on the treo and add a phone number as a buddy ("+13335555555" where 3 is the area code and 5 is the phone number) and then send SMS messages that way. The person on the other end can respond to those messages and it will go back through the aim network.

I chat this way to avoid sms fees (which are total BS to begin with).

verichat, chatopus, Toccer, and others will do the trick, the latter 2 being free.
    nice, didnt think about it that way...thanks for the tip!
    I went into available services on my account and the only 19.99 line item I see is the Media Works (which is not unlimited but rather 5MB).

Anyone knows why the unlimited Media net plan is not listed?
    Am I looking at the wrong place?

Thanks.
    Generally I have found that cingular reps will bend to your will if you just sound like you know more then them. They hate admitting that they don't know something (which is why they make stuff up all the time) o if you just make stuff up yourself they tend to agree with you.

You: "I would like the $20 media.net plan"
    Rep: "Oh, I see you have a treo, you'll have to go with a more expensive plan."
    You: "I will not be using any services that require CSD on my treo, so I don't need the higher plan."

at this point, since none of them know what CSD is, they will just say okay and give you the cheaper plan.

If that doesn't work, then ask them why your cingular phone comes pre-programmed for the media.net plan, but not for the more expensive isp plan.
    My rep told me about the Media Net Unlimited, I'm gussing because it is the most expensive Media Net pack, but you are right, it isnt available online. But if you go online and click on one of the Media Net Packs you get this:

Package Charge MB Included Overage Rate
    MEdia Net 1 MB $4.99 per month 1 MB $0.01 per KB
    MEdia Net 5 MB $9.99 per month 5 MB $0.01 per KB
    MEdia Net 10 MB $14.99 per month 10 MB $0.01 per KB
    MEdia Net Unlimited $19.99 per month Unlimited N/A

So I would just call them and ask for the "Media Net Unlimited"
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970
    I went into available services on my account and the only 19.99 line item I see is the Media Works (which is not unlimited but rather 5MB).

Anyone knows why the unlimited Media net plan is not listed?
    Am I looking at the wrong place?

Thanks.
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

Hurry, yu get a free month if yu sign up by Feb 12th

Package Charge MB Included Overage Rate
    MEdia Net 1 MB $4.99 per month 1 MB $0.01 per KB
    MEdia Net 5 MB $9.99 per month 5 MB $0.01 per KB
    MEdia Net 10 MB $14.99 per month 10 MB $0.01 per KB
    MEdia Net Unlimited $19.99 per month Unlimited N/A
    MEdia Net Pay-Per-Use $0.00 per month 0 MB $0.01 per KB
    I also could not find the Media Net Unlimited. I saw reference to it on their site, but it wasn't available as a choice.

That being said, I technically have it, even though my plan says Media Works.

I signed up for Media Net Unlimited when I first got this phone, which was right before they stopped letting you sign up for it. Somehow it did not take, but the CSRs have put notes in my account stating that I am supposed to have it but that they can't convince the computer to accept the plan.

The Media Works plan is 5MBs (but includes 1000 text messages and Unlimited Multimedia mesages which Media Net does not) which I very rarely go over. When I do go over, I have to call Cingular and tell them to remove the extra charge. It's a pain, but at least they are letting me have it.

I noticed on one of the links posted in this thread that the Media Net Unlimited is not available in all areas... I guess my area must have been one they phased it out of?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast