Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    $19.95 = Unlimited Data
    $39.95 = Unlimited Data + VPN
    Just so I don't do something I'll regret and have to switch back from, here's a possibly silly question...

One of the things I will be using my Treo for is the DUN bluetooth data access for my Powerbook (didn't know it existed when I got the Treo, VERY psyched to get it working once I found it mentioned here! ;D)

Anyway, will the MEdia Net service allow this function to work the same way and if so, would it be using the same settings on my Powerbook (basic network dialin settings--which I had to work at for a while to get working)?
    Treo 755P
    Ive used BT DUN many times with the $20/mo plan
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkmarthy
    Thanks Dude. Someone from the forum suggested to add using "My Features". Anyways thanks a lot. Forum rocks... Still Palmone didn't tried to acquire this forum??
    I did a speed test on my MediaNet unlimited service last night, and it was the same as my speed on PDAConnect, so it is confirmed, there is no discernable difference in the service, except, of course, the price, $20.00 less per month. I agree, this forum rocks.
    Hey guys, i love this forum. After reading this thread, i went ahead and called Cingular and got the Media Bundle plan - Unlimited - with the first month free. For some reason, they will give the unlimited first month free offer on Media Bundle plans ONLY and not on Media Net Unlimited or others. It doesn't matter as I will change after the first month to Media Net Unlimited and maybe get a small sms plan on top of it. Now i just want to make sure, getting versamail to retrive my gmails using POP is not same as using VPN? Someone here said the difference between PDA Connect and Media Net is that the first includes VPN but the second doesn't.
    And also, is it really true that i can use Blazer and surf the web how much ever i want with the Media Net Unlimited?? That sounds too good to be true. But i'm willing to believe it after reading what you've all written.
    Quote Originally Posted by sissa223
    Hey guys, i love this forum. After reading this thread, i went ahead and called Cingular and got the Media Bundle plan - Unlimited - with the first month free. For some reason, they will give the unlimited first month free offer on Media Bundle plans ONLY and not on Media Net Unlimited or others. It doesn't matter as I will change after the first month to Media Net Unlimited and maybe get a small sms plan on top of it. Now i just want to make sure, getting versamail to retrive my gmails using POP is not same as using VPN? Someone here said the difference between PDA Connect and Media Net is that the first includes VPN but the second doesn't.
    And also, is it really true that i can use Blazer and surf the web how much ever i want with the Media Net Unlimited?? That sounds too good to be true. But i'm willing to believe it after reading what you've all written.
    Yes, you can surf the net to your heart's content on Media net unlimited. I used it last night to listen to internet radio through Pocket Tunes and to check on the radar progress of a predicted snowstorm through weatherunderground.com. No difference between PDAConnect and Media Net unlimited.
    Quote Originally Posted by sissa223
    For some reason, they will give the unlimited first month free offer on Media Bundle plans ONLY and not on Media Net Unlimited or others.
    refer them to their own website.

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

https://www.cingular.com/images/medi...ase_banner.gif
  7. Lew
    First-Month-Unlimited is rather different from First-Month-Free, don't you think?
    Free month offer expired on February 12th. Originally it was January something but was extended into February. You can see it referenced / quoted in several other threads.
    Is there any contract for MediaNet Unlimited or is it a month to month obligation... but I believe for $19.99 it's worth every penny...
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Anyone happen to know if the lack of VPN would affect a Goodlink user? Technically I get my email via goodlink's push technology from a corporate server inside our private network but I have never setup a VPN per se. Anyone have any thoughts on this and if I could downgrade to the MediaNet Unlimited?
    Quote Originally Posted by rkmarthy
    Is there any contract for MediaNet Unlimited or is it a month to month obligation... but I believe for $19.99 it's worth every penny...
    There are no "contracts" other than the one you used to get discounts for your phone. basically, in that instance, they gave you some cash which you will pay back over time.

You can add MediaNet / subtract it or any other phone fetaures via the "My Features" tab when ypu acces your account on the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    There are no "contracts" other than the one you used to get discounts for your phone. basically, in that instance, they gave you some cash which you will pay back over time.

You can add MediaNet / subtract it or any other phone fetaures via the "My Features" tab when ypu acces your account on the web.

Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by choekstr
    Anyone happen to know if the lack of VPN would affect a Goodlink user? Technically I get my email via goodlink's push technology from a corporate server inside our private network but I have never setup a VPN per se. Anyone have any thoughts on this and if I could downgrade to the MediaNet Unlimited?
    There is no VPN necessary for GoodLink. GoodLink provides the security/encryption.
    Guys, i have two sim cards both from cingular, difference being one is 3g enabled and the other isn't. Incidentally, i got a media net plan unlimited on the sim card that is not 3g, so i'm assuming that it gets connected via GPRS. My question is, is there a significant difference between GPRS and 3G connected through cingular media net plan?? If there is and the upside is huge for 3g, i'm going to try to use the 3G sim card and try to sign up for the media net unlimited despite having to use a different phone number.
    Treo 650 Cingular GSM 1.17 CNG
    Cingular supports 3G? I didn't know this, but I think the treo 650 is EDGE only anyway as far as I know.
    3G is faster/different technology than EDGE no?
    Cingular supports 3G? I didn't know this, but I think the treo 650 is EDGE only anyway as far as I know.
    3G is faster/different technology than EDGE no?
    I was under the impression that EDGE is 3G (Third Generation) and GPRS 2G (2nd Gen.).
    I was under the impression that EDGE is 3G (Third Generation) and GPRS 2G (2nd Gen.).
    Okay, i think i'm mistaken. I just read an article where they distinguish 3G from EDGE so i suppose they are different, with 3G being faster. However, my sim card says 3G on it, does that mean it can connect at 3G???
    Okay, i signed up for media net unlimited for the sim card that says 3G on it on the cingular website. Hopefully, i won't get an email saying i'm not eligible or whatever. So back to the question i had, i think for me to get a 3G connection, i will have to be, of course, in one of the covered network cities.. but if i am does it mean i will get connected at 3G? I have a feeling that Treo 650 is not 3G capable...
    Apparently the 650 is not 3G capable, according to this discussion:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=107402
    Okay, i made the sacrifice of losing my three-month old number but gaining EDGE over GPRS using the new sim. Well, i think it's worth it. The speed is noticeably faster with my emails getting retrieved a lot quicker than before. To verify, I went on www.dslreports.com/mspeed and it posted 120 kb, better than 50 kb before. So the kind of sim cards one might have do make a difference. On a side note, i think EDGE is considered a lower end of 3G (2.5G) as opposed to HSDPA being a genuine 3G technology....
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast