1.    #1  
    just got my treo and i have my setup disc w/ docs to go and the syncing program, should i set it up this way and then get missing sync on top of it or just start w/ missing sync or....? what is the best way of dealing with this so that my phone runs awesome!?

thanks

travis//
  2.    #2  
    anyone? help? thanks!
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I would install Palm Desktop on the Mac following carefully the installation instructions and make sure that much is working properly before doing anything else. Then go to something else like Missing Sync if you like. I even believe that Missing Sync recommends this procedure.

Frank
  4.    #4  
    thanks! i'll be doing that right now!
  5. MMT
    What does Missing Sync have to say about it? I imagine that it will work without installing Palm Desktop first, but you might have to install stuff from the Palm CD to get Docs to Go and other freebies installed before switching to Missing Sync. When you do switch, Missing Sync automatically disables Palm Hotsync Manager and the process is painless for most people.

So, I guess the answer depends on how Palm bundles other programs on the CD. If you can install them separately, then I'd try just using Missing Sync first. If for some reason things don't work, then install Palm Desktop and try again.

Good luck.

- MMT
  6. MMT
    I just glanced through the Missing Sync knowledge base and the user manual and I didn't see where they recommend installing Palm Desktop first, though that may well be the case.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I was just trying to provide a new user with the least complicated path for getting his Treo up and running. At least then if he had problems he could go back to Palm with the problems and would not get a lot of finger pointing from them toward a third party. (Also true about MS support claiming it was a Palm problem.)

Probably, it would be fine to install MS first without ever bothering with PD but it is definitely NOT fine to install PD over MS because of the way the conduits are manipulated during MS installation. The MS installation instructions warn very specifically about that. I would keep it simple with one vendor at first while I was learning about what is going on if it were me.

Frank
  8. MMT
    Good point: you do not want to install Missing Sync first, then try to install Palm Desktop on top if things aren't working, as you say. I neglected to mention that if you went down the MS path first and then wanted to install Palm Desktop you'd have to completely uninstall MS first. I like the idea of not installing Palm Desktop at all and going straight to Missing Sync, but you are right that it could cause finger-pointing from Palm if something doesn't work right. And as I mentioned in my first post, there could be problems getting bundled apps to install without Palm Desktop.
  9.    #9  
    1- thanks... i just installed palm and docs to go... ? on my mac i have a program called "isync" will this work almost as a missing sync program?

2- Also some of you mention uninstalling programs on the treo... how do you do this?

thanks so much!
    I recommend buying missing sync and just using it to sync with your mac. I didn't have to install Palm Desktop when I installed Missign Sync and it was one less thing to occupy space on my hard drive. In fact I believe Missing Sync encourages you not to install the Pam Desktop if you are syncing for the FIRST TIME. I don't have the read me with me now.

Missing Sync works great and works very well with ical, addressbook and the other "i" apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtalliance
    1- thanks... i just installed palm and docs to go... ? on my mac i have a program called "isync" will this work almost as a missing sync program?

2- Also some of you mention uninstalling programs on the treo... how do you do this?

thanks so much!
    1) I think missing sync is better than the sloppy way Palm Desktop works with iSync. it is a pain to get working sometimes. If you want to sync your ical and addressbook with your treo with no fuss, then get missing sync

2) get a program called FileZ. it is free and you can delete programs on your treo. just be careful of what you delete.
    1) Agreed. Missing Sync is far more power than iSync. Check out the benefits.

2) Filez is really only needed for heavy-duty use (for hidden files). Basic deletion of programs are done directly from the application launcher. See the article from Palm's Knowledge Base: Deleting applications and data from your device.

By the way, lots of additional good information for new users can be found through the Palm Knowledge Base.
    Hi,

Do I need to download iSync Palm Conduit 1.2 for MS to work?

I just got my 650 the other week and have not installed anything from the CD yet. I was about to just dive into MS, but then I saw this thread.

I'm running 10.4.2. Upgrading to 10.4.4 is not an option (my Mac is my Editing Bay, and I don't want to create a conflict with the editing software)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTDude
    Do I need to download iSync Palm Conduit 1.2 for MS to work?
    No. Under Tiger (10.4.x) you'll just be using the Mark/Space provided conduits to do the synchronization to Address Book & iCal. You'll see them listed in the conduits list as "Mark/Space Contacts," "Mark/Space Events," and "Mark/Space Tasks" (there is also "Mark/Space Memos" which synchronizes to the Mark/Space MemoPad application). Those conduits pass on your information to the built-in Sync Services engine (it's part of Tiger), which in turn allows other Sync Services-aware applications to access the data (such as .Mac). The initial setup & installation should guide you through the process.

As always, please do the following when getting going with any program (including The Missing Sync):
    1. Read through the included PDF documentation. It'll save you headaches in the future.
    2. Do a complete backup of your Mac (especially since this is your work computer).

Have fun... TMS is a great program.