1.    #1  
    I just bought a Treo 650 for Verizon on eBay. The seller said it was in excellent used condition.
    Here are the problems I'm having, I'm trying to figure out if these are normal Treo issues, or if this phone is broken and should be sent back

1. After the phone goes into sleep mode (screen goes blank), when I press the power on button and the screen comes back up, the keyguard is on. I press the center button as requested to disable the keyguard, and the phone shuts off again. Once I took the battery out and put it back in and then disabled the keyguard, its been fine, but I don't want to have to have the keyguard disabled at all times just to avoid this problem. Thoughts?

2. The phone itself has a buzz to the earpiece. The speakerphone sounds fine, but when trying to place a call normally (using the unit as a phone, no headset or anything) there is an audible buzz to the voice on the other line.

3. The alt key seems to be stuck in a down position. This may be the dumbest question ever asked in this forum, but is the alt key supposed to click when pushed like the other keys? The alt key on this phone seems to be stuck in a down position and activates whenever it is touched (accidentally or on purpose). Its quite annoying, can it really be like that?

Thanks so much for you time and responses. I'm excited to join the Treo world, but not so thrilled about my foray so far.

Sarah
    Sarah,
    One lesson I learned was not to buy a Treo on Ebay. I did last year and it re-set constantly, battery showed full then died within 30 minutes. Thankfully Sprint replaced it for me because it was a brand new one and was never activated before.
    Because a Treo is so hit or miss with getting a good one you really take a chance of getting someones bad one on E-bay. With a device this costly it's better to go through a dealer (factory or carrier) because they will replace it if there is a serious problem.
    Good Luck with it though and hopefully you wont develop anymore problems with it.
    Better ask the seller to take it back. I hope you use a credit card to pay so if eBay's payment system does not pay you back, you can at least recover your money.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you for the responses. I'll take those to mean that those aren't normal issues and I should return the phone. The ebay posting clearly stated the phone was working. I take these issues as not working and plan to send it back to the seller. Hopefully they won't give me any issues. I ended up paying with my debit card, I'll have to check with my bank to see if they cover these kinds of charges.
    I was trying to save a few dollars since I'll be paying full retail from Verizon (to early in my contract for an upgrade) but I guess I learned my lesson the hard way.
    No more electronics on ebay for me!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I understand you had a bad experience, but if your debit card works the same as a credit card, or if the seller is honest, you will only have wasted time (and a couple dollars to ship it back).

I've sold a bunch of Treos on ebay. Oddly enough, a brand new Sprint Treo had the ESN locked and Sprint told the buyer the phone was probably stolen. This was obviously not the case, and I took the time to offer a refund or clear up the issue. The buyer got a good deal, so they allowed me time to clear it up (which I did).

Buyer beware - make sure the seller is reputable (good feedback, clear ad, etc) and then use a credit card so if it does not match the ad, you can have the transaction reversed.

Again, if you saved a couple hundred dollars, I think it is probably worth the effort, as long as you do it right.

By the way, the buzz could be argued, but the alt key is broken, ship it back and dispute the charge if the seller is difficult.
    contact verizon. they might still warrant the unit and give you a new one
    Quote Originally Posted by ericroberts
    Sarah,
    One lesson I learned was not to buy a Treo on Ebay.
    I'm really happy with the Treo 650 I got on eBay. It was new in box and has all of the same standard issues everyone else has. I figure I saved a couple hundred on what it would have cost through Palm and I really got the same thing.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    I would check with Verizon or Palm to see if it's still under warranty. If there's a problem with it they can't fix, they'll replace it for you at no charge.

I bought (and sold) a Treo 600 from eBay. The transaction was smooth and the phone was exactly as described. I used it for about 8 months and gave it to my wife who used it for another month or two before upgrading to the 650 like I did. I then sold the phone on eBay to another buyer who was just as happy with his purchase as I was with mine.

I would have bought the two 650s from eBay but it seemed to me that there was considerably more suspect 650 auctions than there were with the 600, so I paid full price for mine at Sprint and got my wife's from Sprint at a discount in exchange for a contract.

Also, you might want to get the equipment protection from Verizon if you don't already have it. That way it will be covered even if the warranty expired.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks again everyone.
    I contacted the seller about the issues and they've been very forthcoming about rectifying the situation. They've issued me an RMA and promised to fix, replace or refund depending. Sounds good to me. Hopefully all will go well.
    I used to have great luck with ebay but my last few electronics related purchases have ended badly so I'm hoping this one is just some wasted time and I end up with a working Treo and a few hundred saved.
    I'll update with the results for anyone interested.
    Hopefully I'll be around more learning how to use my fun new gadget!
    well, actually these ARE normal treo issues, but that doesn't mean its how it should be

Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    well, actually these ARE normal treo issues, but that doesn't mean its how it should be

i agree. these sound pretty 'normal' treo-like behaviors to me...

I do not think it is the seller's fault or intentions to scam.

Contact Verizon. I am sure they will help you out.
  12.    #12  
    I appreciate the responses that suggest I call Verizon. But I'm wondering really what Verizon might offer me. The phone is definitely used and since I'm not the original owner, would they even honor a warranty on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by shoesntattoos
    I appreciate the responses that suggest I call Verizon. But I'm wondering really what Verizon might offer me. The phone is definitely used and since I'm not the original owner, would they even honor a warranty on it?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $warranty$ $on$ $Treos$ $are$ $on$ $the$ $hardware$ $for$ $a$ $specific$ $period$ $of$ $time$ $and$ $unrelated$ $to$ $whether$ $you$ $are$ $the$ $first$, $third$, $or$ $fifteenth$ $user$. $The$ $warranty$ $info$ $is$ $burned$ $into$ $the$ $firmware$, $and$ $it$'$s$ $a$ $specific$ $date$.

I have Sprint, not Verizon (ain't gonna pay Verizon's ridiculous data rates), and Sprint has usually been very supportive with replacing the Treos when they start bombing out (the 600s were really bad). If Verizon gives you any hard times over it, there's always appealing to Palm to support their buggy hardware (they WILL step in, but you should go through the carrier channel process as far as you can).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Check to make sure you have the most up to date firmware - perhaps with the latest upgrade some of your issues will be corrected?