1.    #1  
    Hi.

I just bought the Treo 700 with Windows Mobile as the OS.

I am a hardcore, loyal, dedicated Mac user. Will I be able to fully utilize this phone with all of my Mac stuff? to be honest with ya I am not even sure what all of the capabilities are with this phone...have never used a "smartphone" before.

Should I return this phone and wait for a new phone to be released that is more compatible with Mac, or will there be - or is there - a third party software that I can use to get teh most out of this phone.

Thanks for the assist.

Tom
    You *****!! Just kidding!
    I'm a mac user that's holding out for a palm based Treo 700(p)?
    But I would be curious if you could sync that 700w to Microsoft Office for Mac. I doubt it would but their must be a way eventually.
    From other posts I've read, you should probably wait for Missing Sync to support WM5 before you try to sync the 700w with your Mac. I saw another program called Pocket Mac, but it didn't support WM5 either. The included Active Sync doesn't work wth Mac.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    Should I return the 700 and get the 650 instead? to be able to utilze all of my existing mac stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFlynn
    ...to be honest with ya I am not even sure what all of the capabilities are with this phone...have never used a "smartphone" before. ...Tom
    Tom,

I recommend you return the 700W and do a little research on smart phone capabilities, so you can determine which of those capabilities, if any, you require.

from what I've read here in TC, you will have to jump through a few hoops to get synched with Mac regardless of the model or operating system. Granted, there are plenty of people here who will provide guidance and assistance.

But, before you begin the journey, you should be sure you want to reach the destination.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Very good advice in above posts. I am a long time Mac user and until Missing Sync or Pocket Mac come out with WM5 versions of their sw there is no way to sync WM5 devices to Macs except through an Exchange server. See

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...213#post464213

if your are interested in that.

Frank
    Actually I never had any issues with syncing my 650 with my Mac (OS X Tiger). Then again, I've only had my treo for 4 months now, but I'm very happy. But I agree with ShopHarim, research the capabilities before making that kind of investment.
    Palm OS will not have a problem syncing, only WM. WM doesn't like to support competitors. The 650 is indeed better for you at this time, Tom.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Here's a good review from Wall Street Journal regading 700w versus 650.

WS Journal Article 700w versus 650

"My verdict: Despite some nice new features, the Windows Mobile software is still inferior to the Palm software for one-handed use on the go. ..."

"...In addition, the screen on the 700w offers significantly lower resolution than the screen on the 650, and the new model costs twice as much -- $400 versus $200."

Personally, I'd get a 650 over the 700w.
    Let's be candid with the poster. While it is true that a WM5 device will not synchronize with Mac OS X, be aware that the Treo 650 will NOT sync perfectly either. For example after all this time, only one address from your contacts will sync. The home address is synchronized with the business address and the business address is tossed. (or that may be the opposite). Event locations are not synchronized.

So, Palm is just the better of those two options. In fact, I have yet to find a single converged device that syncs flawlessly with a Mac.
    David
    I've been syncing to OS X (now Tiger) since the 650 came out. I have 10,000 datebook events, hundreds of contacts, and several other programs that sync with the Mac (e.g, Life Balance, Sticky Notes, Splash ID). I do use the Palm Desktop and I've had little to no problems syncing. It's VERY fast, after the first sync, and reliable. (I don't do complicated things with categories in contacts.). I tried the new Missing Sync since I'd prefer to use the Mac calendar and addresses over the Palm Desktop, but I had nothing but problems with it, support was mixed, and they never could figure out how to help me (as well as many others). New versions came out on a weekly basis that seemed to create as many new problems as were solved.

So, if you stick with the Palm App, which does the job well, I think you'll find the 650 to be a great companion to your Mac!
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
  12.    #12  
    Wow.

Thanks to every one that took the time to help out this *****.

I am going to return this 700 in favor of the 650... I want to be able to load all of my contacts that I have in Entourage.

Thanks,

Tom
  13. MMT
    defii,

Missing Sync 5 will now sync multiple addresses correctly with the 650. This is using the Mac built-in Address Book application; I'm not sure if it also syncs multiple addresses with Entourage. Also, Missing Sync 5 now syncs event locations with iCal. Both of these used to bug me too, and I'm really happy that they're finally working now. Missing Sync is great! Another cool thing is that it syncs photos between Mac Address Book and Treo Contacts. I'm trying to photograph everyone in my Contacts with my Treo camera, and it's great to see the pictures automatically transfer to the Mac Address Book app.
    Also, I have not found a software that will let me sync a 700 with my MAC. The Missing Sync software is working on it but nothing available yet. Any thoughts on this? When it will come out etc? I don't want to return my 700. I really like the email functionality with WM5. I am pretty confident that at some point in the near future someone will develope a software that will allow me to sync my Treo 700 with my MAC as well as allow me to access the internet on my MAC PowerBook through my treo 700. Anybody else as confident as me about that software coming out? Or have any thoughts on the whole thing?

NEED HELP: I just got the Treo 700 and really would-like/need to get internet on my laptop PowerBook from my Treo. What options are there for a 700. DUN(DIALUPNETWORKING) is not an option as of yet on the Treo 700 so I have heard. Any ideas on that?

I posted these questions in a fourm and realized the topic I posted it in was from 3 years ago so here it is here.