Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm in a debate on a forum why my Treo650 is better than their blackberries... I have good arguements but I need some help here, I'm not an expert.

http://www.dailyofftopic.com/forums/...read.php?t=254

I'm Breezy on this forum
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    TREO 650 = PDA, Phone, EMail, Internet, iPod, Camera

BlackBerry = EMail, Phone. (Edit: new to PDA realm)
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/17/2006 at 09:37 PM.
    BB also does web ok and its got most of the "pda" stuff (I was just using a 8700C alongside my T650 today).

Its a tough debate (really no winners or losers)...depends on what you want (or like)
    The 8700c is pretty good, I agree. BB is getting better. I heard the 8700r is out for CDMA, but I don't see it anywhere. What carrier?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I heard the 8700r is out for CDMA, but I don't see it anywhere. What carrier?

The 8100r is also GSM..the R stands for "Rogers" which is a carrier in Canada
    Thanks! I did remember seeing that on the BB website. I forgot the letter is for the carrier. I wonder why a CDMA user was plugging it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Let me put it this way... If the user doesn't think it is better, it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    TREO 650 = PDA, Phone, EMail, Internet, iPod, Camera

BlackBerry = EMail, Phone. (Edit: new to PDA realm)
    Video iPod at that.
    When RIM gets their Blackberry service shut down any day now, your Treo will continue to work. Point Treo!
    My Treo is my MP3 player, in car GPS nav system, pilots calculator, star chart, vehicle fuel and service log, etc, etc. As well as push email, PDA, phone.

-James.
    USR Pilot 5000, Palm Pilot Pro, Palm V, Sony Clie 610, Sony Clie TG50, Sony Clie UX50, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680
    In addition to the issues above, at this point in time Treo is ahead on chat, multiple language support, five way navigation button, form factor, blue tooth modem capability, need we say more...?
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    When RIM gets their Blackberry service shut down any day now, your Treo will continue to work. Point Treo!
    I heard on the news that RIM took another blow in court.

BB = obtuse scroll-wheel driven menu
    Treo - Stylus, point and click.

That alone should be more than enough reason to pick Treo. imho. I had to use a BB for work for 9 months and it was a PIA. The only good thing about it is being able to get your work email off of a lotus notes server. Not to mention, when you have one through your work, if that notes server goes down, guess what, so does all paging/email capability with the BB. Don't have that problem with Treo. With digital roaming, I rarely encounter no service.

Not to mention, can watch videos, listen to music and get addicted to bejeweled2 on the treo. muhaha
    I have both the 650 and 8700c running on tmobile and I favor the BB because all my 7 email accounts are pushed to my BB and I can send from all of them. I find the browser to be much faster on my 8700c then with Blazer but blazer can handle a few more sites better. I find verichat more stable on the BB. My BB has never froze, rebooted, or missed a beat. The phone is better on the 8700c. I can put it in my pocket easily as it is thinner and lighter.

I found I don't use the cam, movies, MP3 etc so I don't need those features. I still keep and like my treo and am looking forward to updating the GSM rom to 1.20 when I get home.

I don't think you can compare the 2 as they are apples and oranges and it depends on your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by richard371
    I have both the 650 and 8700c running on tmobile and I favor the BB because all my 7 email accounts are pushed to my BB and I can send from all of them. I find the browser to be much faster on my 8700c then with Blazer but blazer can handle a few more sites better. I find verichat more stable on the BB. My BB has never froze, rebooted, or missed a beat. The phone is better on the 8700c. I can put it in my pocket easily as it is thinner and lighter.

I found I don't use the cam, movies, MP3 etc so I don't need those features. I still keep and like my treo and am looking forward to updating the GSM rom to 1.20 when I get home.

I don't think you can compare the 2 as they are apples and oranges and it depends on your needs.

how is the PIM function on the BB? I have a treo 650 and was thinking of getting an 8700c - are there any good PIM replacements for the BB that compare to Treo's PIM apps? If not how good is the BB PIM feature? Thanks!

Also, how is the one-handed operation on the BB?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Doesn't the mail server have to be set up for BB? Wth Chatter can use any MAP clent.
  17. Liv
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I personally would have chosen an 8700 over the treo I got if I had the chance. I just really really like blackberry's.

The only reason why I got a treo instead is because Cingular is charing out the hiney in data charges. $50.00 a month just the data. And then you have to be smart and get BES "hosting" so you don't get slammed with 3rd party charges from Cingular. Meaning you pay another $75.00 a month.

I got my Treo and pay nothing extra a month.

I am actually glad I got the treo though. I can do so much more with it. I just hate having to use a stylus. Ha.
  18. Liv
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Oh, on a legal note.

I think a couple days ago, RIM settled and gave NTP 612 Million dollars. I think that is supposed to put an end to the whole "blackberry is going to get fried and go out of business" thing.

I personally think blackberry will be alive and kicking and still be okay. They have way too much at stake (i.e. The Military and Government being their biggest clients) to just allow themselves to die out. Worst comes to worst, they have a back up plan.
    Two points in favor of the Treo:

1. Add-on programs make the Treo way more customizable than the Blackberry.

2. Storage on a memory card. You're limited to 64 MB on the newest Blackberry. Previously it was only 32 MB or 16 MB. Just not enough. I have multiple 1 GB SD cards for my Treo. Boo-yah!
    In my household there is 1 Sprint Treo 600 (not activated and I gave it to my wife...), ONE Sprint Treo 650 (just purchased - not too bad, but one program just doesn't work right) and one Nextel Blackberry, a Motorola 7100i. I also have a Nextel i605. The Nextel phones Bluetooth implimentation far exceeds that Treo 650s. My wife was showing off her Blackberry to a friend - nice colors, et cetera for the weather map and when the Treo 650 was demo'd, it took just a bit longer to display the weather map, but the resolution/color/picture basically the same.

There are very few programs available for the Nextel and as for email, she uses the Blackberry email service, it is nowhere as good as Chatter. She has a spreadsheet installed in the Blackberry that takes about 5 times as long to load as Treo 650 with the data in HandBase. I hate the Blackberry keyboard, 2 characters per key and so on. I don't turn my back on her very often, for fear the 650 will disappear.

I was looking to go with the Treo 700W, but with the amount of software I have, the lack of software it has, and the bugs, I am going to wait. My boss has the Treo 700W and complains about the lack of programs and bugs.

Ben
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast