1.    #1  
    Hello. My 650 (Alltel CDMA) just had another major reset. A few weeks ago I ran the battery completely dead, while I had a nearly full memory, and had a peculiar crash that we blamed on the memory. (Discussed here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=102827 )

Well, I just had the same crash again: I lost ALL phone and system preferences, all Versamail settings and messages, most of my registered software lost their registrations, and many apps lost their settings. No actual data was lost except the email.

This time I have over 3MB free internal memory free, and 65% battery left, so that kind of rules those problems out. This is the error message *#*377 gives me: "A reset was caused on 1/17/06 at 12:01 pm while running "2day":
    Preferences.c, Line:236, Pref DB Open Error" The crash/reset happened when I pushed the center button to unlock, after turning the Treo on.

I might as well add that normally, it is completly trouble-free, and probably doesn't get reset more then once a week max.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    3 MB is pretty low...can you move any applications off to your SD card? I have 17 MB free on my Treo.
  3.    #3  
    Put it this way, I have 15% memory space free, which doesn't seem that low to me. I try to keep it closer to 25% free, but I was trying out some new software.
    There was nothing happening that would have filled the memory up, either. I don't automatically download attachments from email or anything.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    Smart arse answer - don't try any new software. Ever.

More helpfull answer - Can you provide a list of all apps you are running?

I started to have crashes last week when I was playing around with a particular bit of software, plus TomTom's Navigator. I installed dbCache, which has slowed the system down when switching apps a bit, bit I've not had another crash. I generally run with about 6MB free. I agree with o_town_Racer that 3MB is pretty low. Shouldn't be, but it is.

-James.
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Couple of suggestions to you

1) PoweRun - Move some of those progs off your card=More memory=less resets
    2) Backup Man - This way if you get nuked you can restore with no issues
    3) List all your apps here so we can look at them and tell you if you have any suspect apps on your Treo
    I wish I could help. I used to get such resets that corrupted/deleted the SavedPreferences and Unsaved Preferences files, resulting in loss of all settings and registrations.

I started with a hard reset ans re-installed all my applications, one at a time every few days to make sure my Treo was stable. I am now back to (almost) where I was and the Treo has been rock-solid.

Details of my travails are in

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=102869
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  7.    #7  
    following up... first of all, I knew I had hotsynced no more then 30 mins before the crash, so I just hard-reset and resynced, and everything is back the way I like it.

I try to keep ~5MB free, I was a little under, but I doubt that was the problem.

I may have to get a Backup to the SD card setup, so if I am traveling I'm not out of luck. I don't have one now, because I usually hotsync several times a day so it didn't seem like an issue.

@ aprasad, I'd say that is the same type of crash I had. I will read through your log and see if I find any clues.

As I mentioned, my Treo is usually rock-solid. I don't run very many tweaking type apps, and mainly only well used popular ones like Butler and Technician.

Thanks and I will keep you posted, if anyone else has any good info I want to hear it.
    MTT
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mtt
    following up... first of all, I knew I had hotsynced no more then 30 mins before the crash, so I just hard-reset and resynced, and everything is back the way I like it.

I try to keep ~5MB free, I was a little under, but I doubt that was the problem.

I may have to get a Backup to the SD card setup, so if I am traveling I'm not out of luck. I don't have one now, because I usually hotsync several times a day so it didn't seem like an issue.

@ aprasad, I'd say that is the same type of crash I had. I will read through your log and see if I find any clues.

As I mentioned, my Treo is usually rock-solid. I don't run very many tweaking type apps, and mainly only well used popular ones like Butler and Technician.

Thanks and I will keep you posted, if anyone else has any good info I want to hear it.
    Have you got the newest version of Butler? If not get the updated version.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I have to disagree with NRG. I had rock steady installation until I installed Butler 3.41. My phone was losing saved prefs every 10-12 hours. Sometimes 3 times a day. Went back to 3.28....rock solid again.
    I lost [un]saved preferences every week or so here and there until I installed Resco Locker, since then I've lost it exactly twice. Once was some weird reset and it came back up missing them, and another I was doing a manual soft reset and it got stuck on the Palm screen, waited for a few minutes, then hit the reset button, and when it came back up it was knackered.

The fact is this is NOT catastrophic as you said. Yes, it's annoying. But the recovery is simple, you just copy unsaved preferences and saved preferences back to the phone from a backup; everything is back to normal.
    i run with 16% free all the time (3.7M). It does not cause the type of resets that mtt mentions. I sometimes do get resets, but they are usually backgrounded application or network related.. it seems. Whether using resco-locker to lock programs like 4cast, chatter, verichat actually helps is debatable, but since I'm always running them, locking them seems prudent.

Still 3-4M free seems pretty stable here. Most likely the catastrophic resets mtt is reporting are application related.
  12.    #12  
    Well obviously I called it "semi-catastrophic", somewhat tongue-in-cheek. It wasn't a big deal at all this time because I had an up-to-date hotsync, but it had happened before and was a pain either way. What I am really trying to do is find out what causes this reset and loss of saved prefs, so it can be fixed and I can avoid it in the future.

Yes I have all my apps totally up-to-date.

I'm picking up that this is related to poor memory management by the Treo, where an application could overwrite/delete systems prefs. Maybe if you have a reset just as an app is attempting to write to the prefs file, this happens.

As I mention before, the error code indicated 2day caused the crash.
    MTT
    Yeah, pretty much some application holds open the prefs file in cache and it never gets flushed or something along those lines.. I don't know the details of it, but it never has made sense to me why you wouldn't just wind up with a non-updated version of the preferences database instead of it being *gone*.

Crash codes just usually indicate what program lost its cached data, so you might see any program in there. But if you see a pattern, thats when you begin to blame a program. Such as if you keep seeing 2day in there, it might be an issue.
    This happens to me all the time. I have RBackup saving my SavedPreferences more frequently and simply installed the Saved Prefs whenever I see they are gone. Happens to me at least once a week. I haven't tracked it down to any specific app but I can say that I don't have any of the apps mentioned in the thread so far installed. I don't have 2nd day, Don't have Butler. Seems strange to me that so many apps have the same issue. I suspect there may be a bug in the PalmOS Saved preference API calls. Backing up seems to be the only solution so far.
    Treo 650 Verizon 1.04
    http://www.rgps.com
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgps
    ...I suspect there may be a bug in the PalmOS Saved preference API calls. Backing up seems to be the only solution so far.
    A bug, I might add, that is related to the NVFS. I never heard of this before the 650. Funny thing is it acts exactly like Windows might if you erased the whole registry.
    MTT