1.    #1  
    After picking up a 700w for a 15-day trial, I am extremely frustrated at how fragmented the Palm OS is. I have pTunes and TCPMP on my device. pTunes has the WMA codec, but there is no way that I have found to allow TCPMP to use that codec. It just seems like everything works in a vaccum, and it's up to the superb developers to make things work.

Has anyone found a hack around this to allow TCPMP to use the WMA codec?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    The 700w doesn't use the Palm OS. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    If your only beef between the 650 and the 700 is that one can play a wma file I think you need to go with the 700. The 650 does EVERYTHING I've ever tried to do with it, now most cases it needs more software to do so but thats no biggie. As far as audio/video watching just convert it. I had a few songs in wma format and for simple sake of uniformity I used dbamp to convert them to mp3's or oggs. The 650 plays videos fine but a specific format does not. I'm not harping on ya but in the time it took to write this you could have converted the file for free....

TS
    I think the 650 can pretty much do anything except stream WMAs. I think as far as videos, it can play pretty much everything except protected content

It can even play WMA videos with the trick in the thread below.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=101136
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosteve
    I'm not harping on ya but in the time it took to write this you could have converted the file for free....

TS
    1) I don't think I could have. Converting video is a painfully long process for anything but short videos (in my experience).

2) Why should I HAVE to convert all this stuff? You can't send a link from a website through a conversion process to watch video.

3) WMA and WMV were just examples. Until a few months ago, we had no way to read PDFs on the PalmOS. It seems every solution has to come from a motivated developer.

I'm not saying that the 650 is a piece of crap - I intend to continue using it and return the 700w. It does almost everything I need.

I'm just stating that all apps seem to live in vaccums. When TCPMP supports streaming audio/video, I still won't be able to stream WMA even though I have the WMA codec from pTunes. I'd have to wait until TCPMP releases their WMA codec.

BTW, that trick in the other thread is pretty cool.
    Yeah, but the flip side is, with Windows you won't be able to run thousands of great Palm OS apps. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    1) I don't think I could have. Converting video is a painfully long process for anything but short videos (in my experience).

2) Why should I HAVE to convert all this stuff? You can't send a link from a website through a conversion process to watch video.

3) WMA and WMV were just examples. Until a few months ago, we had no way to read PDFs on the PalmOS. It seems every solution has to come from a motivated developer.

I'm not saying that the 650 is a piece of crap - I intend to continue using it and return the 700w. It does almost everything I need.

I'm just stating that all apps seem to live in vaccums. When TCPMP supports streaming audio/video, I still won't be able to stream WMA even though I have the WMA codec from pTunes. I'd have to wait until TCPMP releases their WMA codec.

BTW, that trick in the other thread is pretty cool.
    Your complaint is misdirected at the wrong OS. You see, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and WMV (Windows Media Video) are proprietary streaming video technologies developed by Microsoft You need to be blaming the content-owners for encoding media and audio ostracizing non-Microsoft users. WMV and WMA playback on non-Microsoft systems have been reverse engineered, they are not open formats. This means that the reason you can't stream WMA on TCPMP is because of Microsoft not Palm.

The reason you can listen to WMA and see WMV (but audio isn't support on all WMVs) is due to the hard work of the open-source community reverse engineering these proprietary codecs.

Perhaps you need to be shaking your fists at the true reason for your troubles, the idiots/button-monkeys at Microsoft and the content-publishers who believe that everyone runs a derivitive of Microsoft.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024

Perhaps you need to be shaking your fists at the true reason for your troubles, the idiots/button-monkeys at Microsoft and the content-publishers who believe that everyone runs a derivitive of Microsoft.

That's a VERY good point. I don't know what advantages WMA / RM offer to entice publishers to use those formats, but the reality is that streaming WMA support would expand our options significantly.
    That's a VERY good point. I don't know what advantages WMA / RM offer to entice publishers to use those formats, but the reality is that streaming WMA support would expand our options significantly.
    I agree, I'd like to know why the content providers aren't streaming in MP3, Ogg-Vorbis, or another open-standard codec. Its' most likely the same thing I face at times, people think computing, computers, and operating systems are synonymous with Microsoft.

Give it time, but don't be angry at Palm, the TCPMP devlopers, ffmpeg developers. Be angry at the content publishers or Microsoft.
    There was a time P tunes was promising the ability to stream WMA.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    There was a time P tunes was promising the ability to stream WMA.
    They're still working on it, but will not give any ETA as per company policy.
    Because there are hundreds of codecs for video out there... I have an 80meg installer of the most recent codecs, think that would fit on a Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by peepingdan
    Because there are hundreds of codecs for video out there... I have an 80meg installer of the most recent codecs, think that would fit on a Treo?
    Honestly how many of them are really popular? For video Divx,Xvid and WMV probably cover 90%+ of them out there. I mean really do you need a strange codec on your Treo like Indeo drivers or Cinepak? I have the TCMP mpeg4, mp3 and ogg drivers on my Treo and it plays pretty much any of the hundreds of movies I have. I personally don't leave any video I want in WM format since it does have no Treo support and frankly I think it's an inferior format.

Unless you have dozens or more videos in WM format it's easy enough to just convert them. A full length movie conversion is usually less than 90 minutes sometimes less than 60.

TS
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by peepingdan
    I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand - you CANNOT convert a streaming WMA feed from a local radio station to a Treo format (without having a PC connected to the internet the entire time and rebroadcasting in another format)
    I was answering one of your questions, not the whole subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    I agree, I'd like to know why the content providers aren't streaming in MP3, Ogg-Vorbis, or another open-standard codec. Its' most likely the same thing I face at times, people think computing, computers, and operating systems are synonymous with Microsoft.

Give it time, but don't be angry at Palm, the TCPMP devlopers, ffmpeg developers. Be angry at the content publishers or Microsoft.
    Very good response and I fully agree. There are a lot of content providers out there that blindly go with WMV for their video content because 'Mom and Dad' out there only know how to click on a file and open it. If the standard Windows Media Player does not open it, it does not get watched.

With respect to video - I cannot understand why more prople don't go with an established open source codec like Xvid. Players are certainly available for almost all OS versions (Mac, Windows, Linux, Windows Mobile and Palm). I think it comes down to being a bit lazy. Any content provider that only supplies WMA or WMV format are simply being short sighted in my opinion.

Were I providing video content, I would link to the codecs and provide instructions on how to play the one format I would supply. That one fomat would be the most compatable format I could find.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Most live radio stations that stream in WMA (or other WMP compatable streams) do so because they want to push advertising. Clear Channel, which apparently owns 90% of our planet's radio stations, have standardized on WMA for this reason. Many stations are even requiring that you register first before you can access the stream so they can capture your demographics.... Its a revenue stream to them, and thus microborg pretty much has them sewn up.