1.    #1  
    I have a 650 on cingular, and use a tablet computer out in the field for work. I was wondering if it were possible to use the 650 as a wireless modem, and which would be better or easier; using the tablet to connect with the 650 through bluetooth or infra red. I know I can't make calls and use it as a modem at the same time. And I have unlimited web time through cingular, if that matters.

Thanks
    Yes this is possible. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ilies/cool.gif

With a Cingular phone, make sure you are using updated software/firmware on your Treo to enable Dial-Up Networking. Cingular's earlier software did *not* allow DUN. See the following link

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(34830)

Bluetooth would definitely be your better option. It has much higher throughput than IR does and bluetooth does *not* require a direct line of site between the ports as IR does.

BTW - You *can* make & receive calls while the wireless modem is in use too! http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ilies/wink.gif
    Last edited by CraniumFunk; 01/16/2006 at 10:11 PM.
    The fastest IMO is to get PDANet and use the USB hotsync cable
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    +1

I used PDANet with my 300. I just got my 650 (Sprint) about a week ago. I found that I only used the 300 as a modem when I travelled a few times a year, thus I declined a wireless plan. PDANet is great though!

BTW, I'm just down the road from you!

The singer in my band lives in your neck of the woods...Monee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    PDANet is another good option. Can be used with either USB or bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how speed compares with pdanet on bluetooth versus USB? Also how does using pdanet get billed? Is it counting against minutes or are we incuring a data charge? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyham
    Does anyone know how speed compares with pdanet on bluetooth versus USB? Also how does using pdanet get billed? Is it counting against minutes or are we incuring a data charge? Thanks.
    I don't think the speed should vary too much from bluetooth to USB. Throughput on both interfaces is much faster than GPRS or EDGE. I used PDANet in the past, but switched to using built-in dial-up networking because DUN was much more stable. It did not drop the connection like PDANet did. This was a couple versions ago of PDANet and using older phone software, so PDANet might work much better now using updated software.

Use of PDANet only goes against your wireless internet use from your service provider. If you have unlimited internet, then using PDANet is free.
    I configured Bluetooth DUN with my Cingular GSM Treo 650 and it works fine with my Toshiba Satellite/Windows XP laptop.