Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thanks for the information, I just got my T650 today, after a trouble-free year and a half with my T600 and am now experiencing the same issues you're describing. I searched these and other forums for hours looking for help. Hopefully, the sim tray is the only culprit. I've already inserted a sliver a paper.

Thanks again!
    While on trip last week to eastern PA (Harrisburg), my phone shut down 3 or 4 times all by itself, too. But I got a new SIM tray from Palm last summer by calling and asking them to send me one (that was in the earlier stages of awareness that the SIM tray could be a suspect in such events). Since I've been home, I haven't had any other events.

However, all 3 or 4 times, the Treo was in my carrying case on my belt (it's one of those sideways cases with a magnetic cover). Sometimes the keylock feature doesn't work - I won't have to press the center button of the 5-way upon awakening the unit. I think what may have happened is that the off button was being depressed at a time when the keylock wasn't functioning correctly, thereby shutting off the unit; but that's just a guess. I don't have the need to use the carrying case as much at home so I have a lower potential of occurrence.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    I have the same problem. and i figure it out too.

When the phone is on my pocket and its sitting sideways, it turns off, if its in my pocket in any other postion but sideways it wont turn off.

its a hardware problem, maybe sim card is moving around I dont know. I got the new try, and i placed a peace of paper already. Tried about everything.
    This behavior just recently began on my 650, and I had originally thought it may be due to the 1.20 firmware. I have the new SIM tray installed, and I've cleaned the SIM according to the support notice. I'll try sticking a piece of paper behind the SIM.

I am also a cold-weather user, so there may be something to this, but I've also caught the phone powering off while indoors, so it's probably not a factor. Often, the phone is simply laying on my desk, or resting in my jacket pocket.

I look forward to seeing the root cause of this quick revealed (and subsequently crushed).

- Mark
    My phone alway seems to turn off when docked (charging). I don't understand it. I'll assume that it's just charging, a couple hours later, I'll realize it's been off.
    I have the same problem, but it seems that it only resets when someone is trying to call me. Could this be related to anyone else's problems?
    Can someone post the link to Palm's replacement SIM tray campaign? I just noticed I have the old one, and this might be the reason my phone resets after being moved around or in my pocket. Thanks guys.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    ok thanks, I did that, but since im not a cingular customer I just was wondering if I needed to go through some other means. I may try the paper trick as well, any thing other than the obvious making some paper small enough to fit...how thick should it be?
    Palm has a "Tray hotline" +1 866 677-7256

It's at the bottom of
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...tem,CASE=40480

Google "Treo SIM Tray" and you'll get lots of links..
    Last edited by aprasad; 02/25/2006 at 05:00 PM. Reason: more info
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    well i put in my info under the cingular link months ago....got the cingular colored tray and months later palm automatically sent me the unlocked sim tray anyway...
    so if color doesn't bother you use the web site.....if it does then call....
    Just a quick note to say thanks to the people in this forum who suggested the 'sliver of paper' trick. I have an unlocked Cingular Treo650 and this did the trick. You have saved me a LOT of frustration.

FYI. I used two pieces of paper just for good measure ...
    I've got the same problem, but my SIM tray appears to be the 'new model' It has the little rib on the bottom part, but I still have intermittent turnoffs. I'll pick it up and notice that the radio's off, who knows for how long. I've never had anyone tell me that they couldn't reach me because my phone was off, but it's bound to happen eventually. Has anyone else had this problem persist with the new SIM tray?
    Verizon user here. Same problem. On the phone with palm tech support now as there's no sim card. Had me upgrade to verizon phone software version 1.04. I'll post if this seems to fix the problem. I suspect it won't.
    As expected, the reinstallation has not resolved the problem. Seems this might be happening when the signal is low.
    Verizon is replacing the phone. It's out of warranty so it'll be $50.00 but better than Palm's $199.00 offer.
    Been a week since I swapped phones. No problems at all. Worth the 50 bucks.
    Thanks for the advice, guys. For the past year, my Treo would trun off randomly. I finally boiled it down to it happening when my Treo gets knocked. For example, if I place it down somewhat hard on a table, it would turn off. I'm guessing that the SIM card gets knocked loose. I tried placing a folded piece of paper behind the SIm tray and this has done the trick. I can knock the Treo vigorously and it stays on.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12