Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    check it out: http://tuaw.com/2006/01/15/the-newto...pple-hardware/ apparently this guy figured out how to run Newton OS on linux PDAs. This means that with Linux being ported to treo you can have your very own Treo Newton. I never really understood the fascination with newton though but to each his own i guess.
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    I loved my Newton! the size was a killer but the OS was awsome.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I would bet the majority here don't even know what a Newton is (was)....
    I also saw this article and thought it was kind of cool. Several photos at tow.com. Here's one:

http://www.tow.com/photogallery/2006...49-30_1123.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    Of course we all know Newton. His media people handled the apple thing much better than Adam and Eve's media people.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    very nice....
    I'll never get over the geeks trying to get old, antiquated software running on newer hardware. The Newton is dead... get over it. Not like Apple is going to bring it back anything like what it used to be. It's fine to note that people are doing this, but my comment is more directed at those people who spend every waking minute trying to do this.
    Of course I know what a Newton is. Last name Newton, first name Fig.

One of the main reasons I donate blood at the Red Cross is to enjoy my justly earned reward afterwards, the little snack area provided so that donors don't hit the streets outside and faint. I get a cup of hot chocolate and down a package or two of those free Fig Newtons they have. Oreo's make the trip worth it, too.

And I know the other Newton, the Apple product. Apple was too visionary on this one, and let their entry into the PDA market wither before PDA's caught on. What a shame. But they timed the market pretty dead-on with iPods, so you can't really fault their track record. I own nothing but Apple computers since my Apple Mac Plus back in '87, and learned programming on Apple II's in the early 80's, what fun!

As nostalgic as I am, I don't know why someone would want to resuscitate a Newton OS on his Treo. What's next, TRS-80's???

-- Josh
    I have a Newton 120 that I picked up on eBay a few years ago. Its definitely a cool device and was way too far ahead of its 
    Apple should update Newton and release new PDAs, IMO. I would get one!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Whether you believe it or not, apple IS in the market for portable OS's. Look at the iPod, which is a small, crappy almost-OS in and of itself. They also worked with Motorola on the iTunes phone, which has more pim features. As phones and music merge, and people will want to be streaming music onto their phones/ipods more and more, it's not hard to see apple making a jump back to something like the newton -but smaller, and cooler.

Now, just because it works on linux PDAs doesn't mean it will work on PalmOS treo running linux. It works on linux PDAs probably because it accesses the hardware that was deisgned to run linux. Since the treo 650 wasn't designed to run linux (or was it?) it won't have the hardware that this newton port would likely be looking for.
    p.s. unless it's newton OS running on top of linux, which is a different story.
    Yeah, my photographer friend already uses his iPOD for almost everything and he wishes he could get email and phone on it. He put his portfolio and contacts on the 60 gb one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. lua
    sure. it was a major flop for apple. typical.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by lua
    sure. it was a major flop for apple. typical.
    Huh? It was the pet project of one CEO, and when the next CEO came in he killed it. It wasnt a "flip flop" as much as it was killing off a product that wasnt doing well. At the time it wasnt selling as well as Apple wanted. I recently sold my MP 2100 that was totally loaded, even had 802.11b unlike my 650
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    This thread just reminded me how much I miss the Newton. there are some of you who look at it as a failure. Yes, it was big, yes it was expensive. But even to this day I can't find a more elegant and usable mobile Operating system. Palm was smart to copy the Newton. well, some of them were former Newton people . remember when PalmOS was clean, easy to use and just worked?

I was just looking at some old screenshots of the Newton OS and it reminded me how much i enjoyed using it back in the day. I hope Palm takes some lessons from the past and goes back to usability and simple design. When I see the Windows Mobile interface I just can't help but cringe. Yeah it has nice features and it is modern with multitasking and multithreading, but I just don't think the Windows user interface is scaleable to mobile devices. Vista may even make it worse.

In terms of what Apple may do in the future? I think mid/late 2006 is going to be interesting. I think we will see something from apple that will blow us away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Yeah, my photographer friend already uses his iPOD for almost everything and he wishes he could get email and phone on it. He put his portfolio and contacts on the 60 gb one.
    that's exactly what a Treo is.... Apple's blind-followers believe that anything and everything Apple comes up with is the first, only and best thing the planet has ever seen. The fact is that the iPod is thier smartest move, but even then, it's just a nifty looking MP3 player. As far as having more features, like the video iPod, a Treo or any other Palm or Windows Mobile handheld can handle it.

Presently my Treo 650 is my phone, my fully featured handheld for schedule, email, messaging, etc., games, navigation (through a BT GPS), and also plays MP3s through RealOne's player (I like its interface the best) as well as videos of any kind (including DVD-rips) using TCPMP. It's smaller than a video iPod, yet does everything it does and then a lot more.

Apple-lovers really need to look past only what Apple produces. There are other products out there that can do more.
    What chiefsalami says is partially true.
    I am an Apple user all the way. There are other products out there that can do more but none can do it as flawlessly as Apple. Many Mp3 players on the market but show me ONE that can do it better than an ipod. I have both a PC and Mac computers; my PC can do more but my Mac handles projects much better and more efficiently.
    It's not what product can do more as much as it is what product can do it better.
    My PC can edit movies but my Mac can do it better ( and faster ). I can do Photoshop on the PC; but my Mac does it MUCH better...and so on.
    The reason us Apple users are craving a convergence device (PDA/Phone), is not so much as blind followers (well...maybe just a little) but we know Apple has the ability to make it better and more reliable than what we've seen thus far from other companies.
    But hey, I still love my Treo! If either Palm, Windows, Apple, or whoever makes a better device I will jump on it if it fits my needs.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefsalami
    It's smaller than a video iPod, yet does everything it does and then a lot more.
    hahaha. i am holding my treo right next to my 30g ipod video and i am not quite seeing how the treo is smaller. anyway, can you connect your treo to your car stereo and control all the music on it without ever taking it out of your glovebox? my ipod can. Can you take 30gb of music and video complete with album art and lyrics with you anywhere? my ipod can. Can you connect your treo to your PC or Mac and automatically (without touching a single button) update all your contacts, calendars and music while also synchronizing important things like play count etc? my ipod can. does your treo have a convenient and reliable way to connect true headphones at the top like it should? my ipod does. can you store ALL your photos including high resolution images on your treo? i can on my ipod. Can your treo be used as an external drive without ANY extra software? my ipod can. can the back of your treo serve as a perfect mirror to check your hair when you are picking up your date for the night? my ipod does.

face it, the ipod is the best of class device for mp3 playback. i fought it for a long time but i eventually gave in. the treo will never be able to truly compete with it so long as: SD cards are limited to less than 10GB, there are so few accessories, MP3 playback is not truly integrated and fast, it has no way to connect to car stereos as an external media player.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefsalami
    that's exactly what a Treo is.... Apple's blind-followers believe that anything and everything Apple comes up with is the first, only and best thing the planet has ever seen. The fact is that the iPod is thier smartest move, but even then, it's just a nifty looking MP3 player. As far as having more features, like the video iPod, a Treo or any other Palm or Windows Mobile handheld can handle it.

Presently my Treo 650 is my phone, my fully featured handheld for schedule, email, messaging, etc., games, navigation (through a BT GPS), and also plays MP3s through RealOne's player (I like its interface the best) as well as videos of any kind (including DVD-rips) using TCPMP. It's smaller than a video iPod, yet does everything it does and then a lot more.

Apple-lovers really need to look past only what Apple produces. There are other products out there that can do more.
    I love Apple for being different, sorry I can't agree with you. Apple is innovative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast