Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Which version for the Treo 650 do you think is best? (Just what I need - an excuse to kill more time with my Treo )
  2. #2  
    I vastly prefer Andrew Gregory's Sudoku 1.20 ( http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-895.html ).
  3. #3  
    astraware sudoku. very nice interface and good support.

    ac
  4. lordbah's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    #4  
  5. #5  
    I had found a site that reviweed like 1half dozen options and they made two recomemndations:

    In the paid category their choce was Astraware's which was $9.95 at the time ($19.95) now.

    In the free category, it wa sgregory's bu I found the puzzles too easy. After playing with both for about two weeks I opted to spring for the $10 for Astraware's.

    Couldn't find the original many vendor comparison but here's a review of Astraware's

    http://www.pocketgoddess.com/article...are_round.html
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 01/16/2006 at 02:53 PM.
  6. #6  
    Ah....here's the original review:

    http://mytreo.net/archives/2005/11/t...oku_review.php
  7. #7  
    I'll put in another plug for Astraware Sudoku. The interface is slick, it's easy to enter puzzles you find in newspapers (not to mention downloading new ones through their "Sudoku of the Day" feature), and they make nice use of the Treo's keyboard, allowing to easily switch between "pencil marks" mode and "number entry" mode. "Auto Pencil Marks" is also a nice feature, once you get to the more difficult puzzles where entering the numbers manually is merely an exercise in patience. Good stuff all around.

    Info on the program (and great puzzle solving advice/techniques) can be found at: http://www.palmsudoku.com/
  8. #8  
    Astrawrae Sudoku is still $9.95 at palmone until Jan.20th

    http://software.palm.com/us/html/dis...&id=prod490518
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  9. #9  
    Another vote for astraware sudoku....great program.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  10. #10  
    You can work the Astraware Sudoku without messing around with the stylus. Don't know if that is the case with the other programs.
  11. #11  
    I have had several issues which Astrawre is working on:

    1. When you have done all the premade puzzles (original plus 5 additional puzzle paks), the puzzle generator can be patience wearing. Astraware reports it can take 8 minutes to generate a "Diabolocal" level puzzle.

    2. Hint glitch. Those of you familiar with the procedure of eliminating pencil mark numbers from rows and columsn when a box rules them out. Using this numbering system for a box:

    123
    456
    789

    For example, lets say box 1 (each "box" has 9 squares) has 1,2 as possible candidates in squares 5 and 8. Well we know then that if box 5 is "1" the box 8 must be "2" and visa versa. But we also know that wherever the other boxes contain 1 and 2 in the middle column, they can be eliminated since that column alreday has a 1 and 2. Even if we don't know where they are, they must be in that column.

    So if ya hit the hint buttton and it tells ya that you can remove the 1's and 2's from that column in all but box 1 and you do it.....if you hit hint again, you won't get a new hint. You will get the same hint untill you solve boxes 5 and 8 (that is decide which one gets the 1 and which the 2).

    3. After the rOM upgrade I had to reinstall after a hard reset....Installed newer version that one I downloaded when purchased. Even after registering, it kept telling me I had done all the puzzles even tough I had downloaded 5 new puzzle paks. An uninstall / reinstall solved the problem.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I have had several issues which Astrawre is working on:

    1. When you have done all the premade puzzles (original plus 5 additional puzzle paks), the puzzle generator can be patience wearing. Astraware reports it can take 8 minutes to generate a "Diabolocal" level puzzle.

    2. Hint glitch. Those of you familiar with the procedure of eliminating pencil mark numbers from rows and columsn when a box rules them out. Using this numbering system for a box:

    123
    456
    789

    For example, lets say box 1 (each "box" has 9 squares) has 1,2 as possible candidates in squares 5 and 8. Well we know then that if box 5 is "1" the box 8 must be "2" and visa versa. But we also know that wherever the other boxes contain 1 and 2 in the middle column, they can be eliminated since that column alreday has a 1 and 2. Even if we don't know where they are, they must be in that column.

    So if ya hit the hint buttton and it tells ya that you can remove the 1's and 2's from that column in all but box 1 and you do it.....if you hit hint again, you won't get a new hint. You will get the same hint untill you solve boxes 5 and 8 (that is decide which one gets the 1 and which the 2).

    3. After the rOM upgrade I had to reinstall after a hard reset....Installed newer version that one I downloaded when purchased. Even after registering, it kept telling me I had done all the puzzles even tough I had downloaded 5 new puzzle paks. An uninstall / reinstall solved the problem.
    Hmmm,

    Never noticed any of those, but just tried 1 & 2. You appear to be correct. I have never generated a puzzle, I just downloaded a bunch of the puzzle packs from their site. Each pack contains 100 puzzles, so they should last me a while...

    Funny, never used the hints feature before, forgot it was even there!

    I've had no problems with puzzle packs, but I saved them all to my card and only install one at a time. When I'm done, I remove all solved puzzles and install the next pack....works great so far.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Each pack contains 100 puzzles, so they should last me a while...
    I only do the diabolical, fiendish and tricky so I tend to go thru them faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Funny, never used the hints feature before, forgot it was even there!
    You can eliminate the problem by using turning on "autofill pencilmarks" . Hot right button on treo to bring up menu choices, hit "menu / options / assistance / auto pencilmarks"

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    I've had no problems with puzzle packs, but I saved them all to my card and only install one at a time. When I'm done, I remove all solved puzzles and install the next pack....works great so far.
    I am not using my card at this time....still have 4 MB left w/o it....waiting for new one to arrive.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I only do the diabolical, fiendish and tricky so I tend to go thru them faster.



    You can eliminate the problem by using turning on "autofill pencilmarks" . Hot right button on treo to bring up menu choices, hit "menu / options / assistance / auto pencilmarks"
    I only use Diabolical, fiendish and tricky as well. They had 5 of each, for a total of 1500 puzzles. That won't keep you busy for a while??? I only do 2 or 3 puzzles a day on my train rides....


    Haven't been using auto pencil marks either. I did a couple times, but found it made the puzzles too easy. I prefer to do it all myself...that way my own errors can be a factor.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    I only use Diabolical, fiendish and tricky as well. They had 5 of each, for a total of 1500 puzzles. That won't keep you busy for a while??? I only do 2 or 3 puzzles a day on my train rides....
    I found 5 puzzle paks on the web site......5 paks x 5 of each level x 3 difficulty levels = 75 puzzles.....where's ya find the other 1425 ? Are there more paks I didn't find ?


    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Haven't been using auto pencil marks either. I did a couple times, but found it made the puzzles too easy. I prefer to do it all myself...that way my own errors can be a factor.
    After I haven't played a while I like to do it by hand as it's needed to train the mind on the logic.....but after I do a bunch a couple of days in a row, I starts feeling like monkey work. So I always used the "fill pencilmarks" manual option when I didn't want to be bothered.

    I think a new player who uses this option loses out on a lot with regard to creating the necessary mindset to solve the puzzles.
  16. #16  
    I have the trial of Top SuDoku by Noga Soft version 2.60. I will definitely NOT be purchasing this game as it has crashed way too many times on my T650 (sprint). Just my 2 cents
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I found 5 puzzle paks on the web site......5 paks x 5 of each level x 3 difficulty levels = 75 puzzles.....where's ya find the other 1425 ? Are there more paks I didn't find ?
    http://www.sudokuoftheday.com/pages/free.php

    " We're providing plenty of puzzle packs so that you won't run out - each pack contains 100 puzzles.
    Take your choice between a selection pack, which contains a range of difficulties, or a pack of just the level that you like to play the most!"
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    After I haven't played a while I like to do it by hand as it's needed to train the mind on the logic.....but after I do a bunch a couple of days in a row, I starts feeling like monkey work. So I always used the "fill pencilmarks" manual option when I didn't want to be bothered.

    I think a new player who uses this option loses out on a lot with regard to creating the necessary mindset to solve the puzzles.
    I can see if you play alot it would get tedious. Who knows, maybe i'll get to that point soon too, but so far it doesn't bother me. I agree it gets in the "mode" for solving the puzzle. I am so addicted.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  19. #19  
    Duh on my part....I downloaded the selection paks and forgot about the others.

    I have to say tho after using autofill, the end game is a bit fast. First puzzle I did afterwards was ok, but with 2nd my 1st imprrssion was "this make sit too easy" as I started with one "1 choice only" box and that cascaded to about 6 more. Then it got hard tho and I appreciated it doing the routine work.....then near end again, just about every box you fill in leads to another box with just one choice left.

    Think I gonna switch back and forth depending on mood.
  20. #20  
    Not sure how the puzzle packs work, but after I hotsync them into my 650, do they integrate into the actual Sudoku file so that the packs are not all separate files on the Treo? If not, can the puzzle packs be stored on my SD card so Sudoku can access them when needed, without them all taking up memory?
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 01/29/2006 at 05:15 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions