Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone,

I've created a update for the GPL application SMSChat. Its a Palm OS application which communicates with the AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) network via SMS messages on your Treo. This program is useful if you would like a free (as in speech) AIM client which does not require or use your data connection.

This new version has been compiled to run on the Treo 650. I'm pretty sure it works fine on the Treo 600 too, but I haven't tested it yet. I know it works on the T-Mobile network, I do not know if it works on any other. This program, other then working properly on the Treo 650, is functionally identical to SMSChat 1.2.

Tested On:
    Treo 650 (T-Mobile)

Upcoming Features in version 1.4:
    5-way Navigation Support

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -- Go Illini!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I'm assuming this only works with T-mobile and no other gsm carriers? I installed it and I'm with Cingular and it won't seem to sign on.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL
    I'm assuming this only works with T-mobile and no other gsm carriers? I installed it and I'm with Cingular and it won't seem to sign on.
    I think thats correct. If somebody could provide me with the AIM short codes for Cingular, I'd be able to add other carrier support.
    -- Go Illini!
    Here are the codes for Sprint:

265000] AIM-SignOn: Signs you on to AIM. Specify your Screen Name (without spaces) and Password separated by a space.

[265001] AIM-SignOff: Signs you off of AIM.

[265002] AIM-Buddies: Displays Buddy List and the status of each buddy in this group.

[265003] AIM-Add: Adds an AIM user to the Buddy List. Specify a Screen Name.

[265004] AIM-Delete: Removes buddy from the Buddy List. Specify a Screen Name.

[265005] AIM-GetInfo: Displays information about an AIM User. Specify a Screen Name.

[265006] AIM-SetAlert: Sets permanent alert. You are notified when that user comes online. Specify a Screen Name. To clear the alert, send this message again.

[265007] AIM-Block: Blocks exchange of messages and presence with an AIM user. Specify a Screen Name.

[265008] AIM-Allow: Allows exchange of messages and presence with an AIM user. Specify a Screen Name.

[265009] AIM-SendTo: Channel used to send messages to AIM users. Specify a Screen Name, colon, then your message. Messages will appear to be from your Screen Name.

[265010] AIM-SendSMS: Channel used to send messages to AIM users. Specify a Screen Name, colon, then your message. Messages will appear to be from your phone number.

[265011] AIM-SetAway: Changes your status. To change your status to Away, send a blank message. To stop being Away, send a message again.

[265018] AIM-Settings: Displays the numbers that should be programmed into your phone book for each command and mobile buddy.

[265019] AIM-Welcome: Provides information about the Mobile AIM service. To learn more, send a message with 'more', or visit mymobile.aol.com

[265020] AIM-Mobile: Used by AIM to notify you when there is a system event.

[265021] AIM-Unregister: Stops services associated with a Phone Number from being delivered to a mobile device.

[265022] AIM-Recycle: Opts a mobile device into receiving messages addressed to its phone number. Stops services associated with a Screen Name from being delivered to a mobile device.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Anyone know AIM short codes for Cingular? I could make a use of my 1000 text messaging :-)
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
  6.    #6  
    Thank You Jeff248. That's very helpful.

500mL: I found this PDF, http://aolmobile.aol.com/pdf/AOL_Mob...User_Guide.pdf, which shows the message format and services which are common for the carriers. Its really sort of a "Rosetta" stone for AIM shortcodes, as it shows each carrier and their equivalent codes.

The source was well designed and I was able to hack up a new version. It turns out the Cingular's ShortCodes are the same as Sprints. I just hope the message format is the same as T-Mobile/OldATT.

I'm attaching it now. This is for Cingular/Sprint. Verizon users should try the regular version as its codes are the same as T-Mobile's. NOTE: This might or might not work. Its still GPL.

Thanks for testing it out!

**UPDATE 2**

I dropped the attachment on this message. See Below.
    Last edited by chrisfoster; 01/18/2006 at 04:45 PM.
    -- Go Illini!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Chrisfoster,

It works great man! Thanks! I tested it and it works like a charm. This is what I was looking for in the beginning - to stay online while I'm not in front of my computer (you can tell how your buddies are connected online - and I want to be connected via AOL Mobile device). I had a regular cell phone that did this and I kept wondering if it was possible on the Treo. At least now I can stay online without having to worry of getting disconnected on AIM when I get in the subway, now I know I can put my 1000 text messages/month to use
    Last edited by 500mL; 01/16/2006 at 06:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    I just get "There was an error registering with the SMS library" when I start it. I'm on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah
    I just get "There was an error registering with the SMS library" when I start it. I'm on Sprint.
    Same here...also on Sprint.

Jeff
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah
    I was afraid of that. I think CDMA Treos use a different SMS library. The code checks to see if its running on a Treo 300, it might be getting confused with newer CDMA Treos.

500mL

I'm glad it works. I need to make the solution clean and GUI select-able. Though I should probably make 5-way navigation first.
    -- Go Illini!
    I get the same library error on my Sprint 650. I'd love this if you could get it working on Sprint!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfoster
    500mL

I'm glad it works. I need to make the solution clean and GUI select-able. Though I should probably make 5-way navigation first.
    Kool. I'm not sure if you're supposed to stay in the app to use SMS Chat. I logged in but it doesn't really say I'm logged in. But as soon as I got logged in, I received text messages with the codes. So mainly I'm using my built-in messaging app. Signing off is also done within the messaging app because you send a text message to a temporary code. I just use the SMS Chat app to log in.
  13.    #13  
    Kool. I'm not sure if you're supposed to stay in the app to use SMS Chat. I logged in but it doesn't really say I'm logged in. But as soon as I got logged in, I received text messages with the codes.
    hmm. That doesn't really sound like i've got it working with Cingular yet.
    You shouldn't see any SMS messages appear in the regular SMS program. That's a sign that the program isn't working.

So mainly I'm using my built-in messaging app. Signing off is also done within the messaging app because you send a text message to a temporary code. I just use the SMS Chat app to log in.
    Ya, its not working for you. All your communication should appear in the SMSChat program or its "Reply" field that pops up when your not in the program.

I can think of two reasons:

1) Its not compiled correctly for your Treo.
    2) The format of the messages is different and the program is dropping them to the regular SMS program.

**UPDATE**

I did some hunting around the code, and for the "SMS Library" problem, it turns out that the code was explicitly loading a "GSMLibrary.lib". I'm sure this was the correct approach at the time, but I found in some new sample code that Palm has a "Get Phone Library" function. So lets try that.

I'm attaching a T-Mobile binary, and a Sprint/Cingular binary. The only difference between the two is the numbers it sends the AIM commands. I hope the Sprint version at least loads the SMS library. If I still have the problem that the messages are dropping messages to the SMS program, then I know I've got much more work to do.

Thanks for testing these out guys.

**UPDATE 2**

Check later messages, these attached binaries never worked anyway.
    Last edited by chrisfoster; 01/18/2006 at 04:47 PM.
    -- Go Illini!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Weird. But I somehow was able to chat - but like I said before, using the built-in messaging app. Should I try uninstalling and reinstalling it to see if would make any difference?
  15.    #15  
    Weird. But I somehow was able to chat - but like I said before, using the built-in messaging app. Should I try uninstalling and reinstalling it to see if would make any difference?
    Hah. Took too long editing my post. See Above.
    -- Go Illini!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Nice. I'll test it out as soon as I get outta my job.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfoster
    **UPDATE**

I did some hunting around the code, and for the "SMS Library" problem, it turns out that the code was explicitly loading a "GSMLibrary.lib". I'm sure this was the correct approach at the time, but I found in some new sample code that Palm has a "Get Phone Library" function. So lets try that.

I'm attaching a T-Mobile binary, and a Sprint/Cingular binary. The only difference between the two is the numbers it sends the AIM commands. I hope the Sprint version at least loads the SMS library. If I still have the problem that the messages are dropping messages to the SMS program, then I know I've got much more work to do.

Thanks for testing these out guys.
    I downloaded and installed the new .prc file for Sprint/Cingular, and still works the same way, the built-in Messaging app receives and sends out the messages.
  18.    #18  
    I downloaded and installed the new .prc file for Sprint/Cingular, and still works the same way, the built-in Messaging app receives and sends out the messages.
    Gaah. Too Bad. It must be dropping the messages somehow.

If any Sprint users want to give it a try, it should not have the "SMS Library" error at least.

More work to be done at least. I should get 5-way Nav. done first.
    -- Go Illini!
    Using the latest from Sprint version from above, I get all the messages dropped to the SMS system and not to the program.

edit: Also, I seem to get a lot of 'ERROR SENDING MESSAGE's.

I hope you figure out what's going on with this, I really like the idea of a front end to the SMS/AIM gateway. Thanks for your work!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion
    Using the latest from Sprint version from above, I get all the messages dropped to the SMS system and not to the program.
    Thanks for testing it Lion. I'm looking around the code and I found this line

Code:
      /* if the address doesn't start with "46", it's not an IM message
       * and we shouldn't handle it. */
    Me thinks' thats messing me up, since Cingular and Sprint codes are completely different. I'd like just to pull that line and release another test binary but I hesitate since you guys have done so many of those already.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion
    edit: Also, I seem to get a lot of 'ERROR SENDING MESSAGE's.
    I'm thinking this is caused by the differences between the CDMA's and GSM's SMS libraries. CDMA doesn't support message segmentation, something I know the AIM server does try to do on T-Mobile. I'll have to do some more investigation.

Thanks for all the help. I'll try and get at least 5 way navigation done soon so I can release a proper test binary.
    -- Go Illini!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast