Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This looks like a cool app...I tried it on my unlocked GSM on the Australian Vodafone network and got the error that the message could not be sent. Does this mean my carrier does not support AIM or does the app need to be specificly taylored to my carrier?
    AUSPUG Melbourne Co-Ordinator
    Visit us at...
    Australian Palm Users Group
    Ok, on Sprint it now seems to be pulling the correct SMS's in, but not acting upon them. For instance, it won't recognize that the account is online. However, the SMSs from AOL di not appear in the SMS Application. It is sending the correct sign on string, as the account does appear online to regular AIM clients. My guess is that the formatting of the return SMS messages is not the same and the parser is not operating correctly.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Hi there -

I've just upgraded to the Treo 650 GSM T-Mobile from a visorphone and it's great to see a simple SMS AIM client (I used QuickChat previously)

The question: I might be missing something here, but how do you delete an entire chat session?? Select All > Cut doesn't seem to do it ..

The request: Can the 5-way nav allow selection from the buddy list?

Thanks again,

AndyN
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Hi there -

I've just upgraded to the Treo 650 GSM T-Mobile from a visorphone and it's great to see a simple SMS AIM client (I used QuickChat previously)

The question: I might be missing something here, but how do you delete an entire chat session?? Select All > Cut doesn't seem to do it ..
    Good question. I don't think you can at the moment, I should add that.
    The request: Can the 5-way nav allow selection from the buddy list?
    I've got 5-way navigation in the next version! My only problem with it so far is that once 5-way is activated, you can't scroll with the hard button through the chat log. But I'm working on that too. One thing that's holding up the next version is that I'm adding notifications (such as vibration and tones), but i've still got a little bit to add because currently it always vibrates and you can't select the tone. It will be better with the 1.4 release.
    Thanks for your interest!

-Chris

P.S: In terms of Sprint/Cingular support, its gonna take awhile. I've decided that I should knock off some easy/simple/great features first before I radically change the parser because my last changes really messed it up. Stay tuned!
    -- Go Illini!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Re: T-Mobile SMS ...

T-Mobile has started sending "(you can reply to this message)" after every sms. Very annoying! Chews up screen real-estate on small screens, etc. Does anyone know how to get T-Mobile to stop sending this?

If not, could SMS chat suppress "(you can reply to this message)" ??

thanks again,

AndyN
    Any thought of Verizon support? I tried your program on my Verizon Treo 650 and it runs but does not seem to send or receive any messages. Thanks..
  7.    #47  
    Re: T-Mobile SMS ...
    T-Mobile has started sending "(you can reply to this message)" after every sms. Very annoying! Chews up screen real-estate on small screens, etc. Does anyone know how to get T-Mobile to stop sending this?

If not, could SMS chat suppress "(you can reply to this message)" ??
    AndyN
    I agree, very annoying. I have no idea how to turn that feature off, or if its even possible. The program could suppress probably suppress it, but I should wait until I recode the parser.

Quote Originally Posted by stilger
    Any thought of Verizon support? I tried your program on my Verizon Treo 650 and it runs but does not seem to send or receive any messages. Thanks..
    I would like to support Verizon in future releases. Like I mentioned above, I need to make changes to the program to support different message types. I'm hoping Verizon is similar to others.

The program also has other problems with CDMA devices. I suspect the reason is that CDMA devices do not support message segmentation, which is a problem. But i'll work on it.
    -- Go Illini!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    QuickChat used to trigger an audio alert whenever an IM was received - which is especially useful when your treo is inactive ... add to the list? thanks again.

AndyN
  9.    #49  
    QuickChat used to trigger an audio alert whenever an IM was received - which is especially useful when your treo is inactive ... add to the list? thanks again.

AndyN
    Thats on the agenda for 1.4! In fact, i've already got it working. I just need to add some GUI to choose which tone (out of the Treo's ringtones) to use and if the program should vibrate. Its not that complicated to code, but I just haven't had the time to do it.

The second big feature will be 5-way navigation support. This is basically done. There is one problem with 5-way navigation. Currently, the conversation history doesn't scroll with the 5-way navigator. I feel like I have to fix that before I release it.

What other features would people want in 1.4? Besides the obvious Cingular/Verizon/Sprint support.

I think it would be nice to makes sure the "Alert" feature works. Looking through the code, I don't think it does, though the menu item is there. I think i'll look around.

Also, I don't think the program gracefully handles the case of "Random-Person-IMs-Us-Not-On-Our-Buddy-List". That'd be good as well.

As a long term goal, or one that might be a result of changes needed for full 5-way support, I might change the whole look of the Main form. Who knows!

Thanks for the interest!
    -- Go Illini!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I would also love to see this app work for the VZW 650, my girlfriend is always concerned about draining down her battery leaving Verichat on and Wireless Sync, an app that sent over txt would be great and convient. If there is anything I can do to help aid this little beauty along I would gladly do it!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Hello Chris,

A quick note to say interest has not gone away - still looking forward to SMSChat with an audio alert ... not a push (I wouldn't do that ) ... just want you to know we're still here cheering for you ...

AndyN
    Visorphone > Treo 650 GSM (yep sat out everything in between)
  12.    #52  
    Hello Chris,

A quick note to say interest has not gone away - still looking forward to SMSChat with an audio alert ... not a push (I wouldn't do that ) ... just want you to know we're still here cheering for you ...

AndyN
    Thanks for your support, Andy! I feel really bad as i've been neglecting my Free Software projects as I try and finish up school. I promise to hit the compilers hard this summer, as I'll have more free time.

As a consolation price for my negligence, I'll offer you my latest build. It only works with T-Mobile, and it vibrates when a message comes in and makes a tone if your sound is on.

Thanks again for supporting SMS Chat. I'll get back to it shortly.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -- Go Illini!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Perfect - works great! Much appreciated! I didn't mean to pull you away from school - back to work & best of luck!

AndyN
    Chris,

Hopefully your exams went well. Do you have time to work on version 1.4? I would love to see it for a Cingular 650. Thanks.
    What is the update on this software? Any VZW support?
    Just wanted to let you know that I would love to see this working with my Verizon CDMA Treo700p. In your summer free time of course.. lol.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Hello anyone?

I have been merrily using on SMS Chat via T-Mobile/GSM since my last post 1.5 years ago. It has worked great, but alas it looks like Update Status has recently broken ... when i do an Update Status, everyone remains "X" when i know some are available. FWIW, I can successfully log-in, IM with buddies that I know are on-line, and Update List works ...

Does anyone else have the Update Status problem?

Is there a chance of a maintenance release? If not, does anyone know of a AIM treo client that is SMS based? I really want to stay away from the cost and the battery drain of a data plan as long as possible!

Thanks to all,

AndyN
    Treo 650
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    its not working on my 680, T-Mobile.

any chance of an update? SMS based IM would be killer!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Did SMSChat ever work for you or are you a new install?

My latest theory is SMSChat is OK - and that either T-Mobile or AOL have stopped supporting the AIM via SMS messaging protocol (only a theory - not confirmed).

Does anyone have an SMSChat install that is still working?

AndyN
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
    Did SMSChat ever work for you or are you a new install?

My latest theory is SMSChat is OK - and that either T-Mobile or AOL have stopped supporting the AIM via SMS messaging protocol (only a theory - not confirmed).

Does anyone have an SMSChat install that is still working?

AndyN
    brand new install
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast