Hi there,
    I have had a treo 650 for a while, utilizing verizon wirelesssync and all that jaz.. synchronizing with the usb cable etc. with no problem.. but now I have a problem.

When I plug in the usb cable, and hit the sync ubtton, the sync screen comes up on the treo, but nothing happens on the computer. Now, I thought maybe there was something wrong with the cable, so I replaced that... no dice. Ialso tried it on two other computers. to see if at least, the treo would be detected as a usb device.. no dice!

I don't seem to understand what's going on here. It is definitely recognizing the connection on the treo side, but the computer fails to see that it exists.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this issue?

I have no idea what the issue is nor how to solve it,.. and I desperately want to upgrade my ROM on the treo, but can't

Thanks,
    Paul
    It might not help, but it worked for me.
    I cleaned the connections on my phone.
    I used a fine point metal object (like a tack) and scratched the connections to clean metal.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Search the discussion boards for hotsync issues. This has been discussed a number of times. It appears to usually be the Treo side cable connection, although some have needed a PC software side fix. What works everytime for me now (after seeing this in one of those threads) is to just SLOWLY put the sync cable into the treo starting at an angle - right side first, then rocking in the left side. For some reason that creates a better connection.
    I have the same problem. See: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=104161

I hope someone has a solution
    short of trying out new cables, i'm not sure there is one. after months of frustration simply bought a bluetooth dongle and forgot about it.
    I had this problem for ages. I even sent the machine back to Palm, but they appeared to do nothing! Now though, the problem is SOLVED! Here's what you do:
    • Buy some Isopropyl Alcohol (also known as 'rubbing alcohol'). It's available at your local chemist/pharmacy.
    • Remove the battery from your Treo
    • Dip one end of a cotton bud in the alcohol and firmly give the contacts on the Treo multiconnector a good rubbing.
    • Get the other end of the cotton bud (the dry one) and give the contacts another rub and to mop up any excess.
    • Leave the alcohol to dry/evaporate (a minute should do it)
    • Get a knife with a pointed end and *lightly* scrape the contacts to get rid of any dark marks that are left.
    • Repeat the alcohol rubbing process.
    • Give the hotsync cable contacts a good 'seeing to' using the same method.
    • Attempt a hotsync.
    • No, wait! You need to put the battery back in first.....
    • Now hotsync!

My Treo now connects every time!

Ps. The alcohol is great for cleaning LCD monitor screens and removing permanent marker too.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    checkmate's approach is very thorough, but in a pinch a good pink eraser (if you have one small enough) should work as well. Preferably a decent quality eraser that doesn't shred and leave eraser bits everywhere.
    Same issue here, too. This "Athena" connector really is the pits. Wish they had just brought out a modified "Universal Connector" or something similar to the legacy Treo connectors (THEY were solid).

This new Athena connector has been nothing but trouble- easily falls out, twists out, bends up or down, and must be nearly held in every time to have a successful hotsync. You would think that after nearly 8-9 years of designing connectors and dealing with the various problems with them, Palm would have put some real thought into this latest one. About the only good thing I can say about it is that the "keying" is obvious and brilliant - no way to stick the thing in backwards.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I sometimes get corrupt USB settings in my registry. I follow these intructions (old but they still work well) to get everything going again. Hope this helps

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=16
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    I had this problem for ages. I even sent the machine back to Palm, but they appeared to do nothing! Now though, the problem is SOLVED! Here's what you do:
    • Buy some Isopropyl Alcohol (also known as 'rubbing alcohol'). It's available at your local chemist/pharmacy.
    • Remove the battery from your Treo
    • Dip one end of a cotton bud in the alcohol and firmly give the contacts on the Treo multiconnector a good rubbing.
    • Get the other end of the cotton bud (the dry one) and give the contacts another rub and to mop up any excess.
    • Leave the alcohol to dry/evaporate (a minute should do it)
    • Get a knife with a pointed end and *lightly* scrape the contacts to get rid of any dark marks that are left.
    • Repeat the alcohol rubbing process.
    • Give the hotsync cable contacts a good 'seeing to' using the same method.
    • Attempt a hotsync.
    • No, wait! You need to put the battery back in first.....
    • Now hotsync!

My Treo now connects every time!

Ps. The alcohol is great for cleaning LCD monitor screens and removing permanent marker too.
    Just a point on Using Rubbing Alcohol on your screen, you will want to dilute it using 2 parts Distilled water (DISTILLED NOT FILTERED) to 1 part alcohol. This reduces the acidity of the alcohol and will keep it from eating away at the coating on the screen. This works great on all of my LCD's, PDA, Notebook, PC Monitor, etc.
    I use "screenwipes"....like babybutt wipes but w/ alcohol solution insread of the soapie / moisturizer stuff that the babies get. Handy, sits on desk, can't be spilt, premixed.\\C an be picke dup at CompUSA, staples whatever

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...501&pfp=SEARCH