1.    #1  
    Is it just me or are you irritated as well that the new Treo has more memory, a better camera and other increased functionality and those of us who were Treo 650 loyal customers have to wait, wait, wait for fixes and enhancements? What's up with that?
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I really think that the 650 is still the better Treo. I think that there are definitely better Windows Mobile devices available than the Treos, but the 700w is not one of them. Palm made too many modifications to the software trying to make it act like the 650 to make it as good as it could have been. I expected those changes to be useful, but as it turns out they are annoying.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    If there Treo 700 had a higher rez screen, I might have liked it more.. As it stands, if Palm could have made all the changes they did, why couldn't they get a 320x320 driver? I *KNOW* that a 320x320 driver wouldn't have been that hard to do for Microsoft. Considering all the time Palm and Microsoft have put into the 700, it might have been a single programmer's weekend project. There are 240x240 and 480x480 drivers. If you can easily get 320x240 or 240x320, how hard of a strech would 320x320 have been. Then they could have only had to support one screen. Personally, I think the only thing that the PPC platform has over the Palm platform is Mobile Office. Right now I'm thinking Documents to Go is utter crap next to it. Course, the hardware (proc speeds and memory) of the average PPC device kills the average Palm device too. Thank you Redmond for causing PPC users to carry mini-super computers to keep their schedule.
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
    Because the T700 is really targeted for large IT departments, not individuals that typically post on this message board. And I wouldn't be worried about the T700 having "more memory." Windows takes up WAY, WAY more memory. In reality useful memory is about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by jquinn14
    Why do Windows users get better Treo?
    Maybe because the 700w is NEW?
    Just a guess on my part.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    240x240 Screen ??

Even with EV-DO, I am not sure that is an upgrade . . . .

Of course, everyone has their own hot buttons.

Cheers, Perry.
    Give the palm version a chance to come out.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Give the palm version a chance to come out.
    I can't agree more. After all the teeth-gnashing, the P users might find themselves in a much better position than the W people shortly.
    That is true Jazzi. I just hope that Palm doesnt disappoint ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

"Better" is such a subjective term.
    It's only better if you want the camera, EVDO and Verizon's rates(but Sprint will probably be kinder on the rates), and BT 1.2; along with WM5. If those things are important to you, then it's better.

To me, there isn't really a serious difference, except for the OS. But they better come through on the Palm version or many will be pissed, I'm sure. Including me!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have to say this, Palm is a business, and they've made a good business choice. Look at how many are happy with the Treo 700w, and FEW of them are from the ranks of Treo 650 (and 600) owners. That's the goal of a new device, pull in new people.

Now, if they don't eventually give us a 700p (or something along those lines), then they've screwed the pooch.
    Last edited by hparsons; 01/16/2006 at 01:57 PM.
  13. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I think this is a good chance to let Palm sort out any difficulties with the 700 model before we get it. Also, 240x240 is an unbuyable downgrade for me. 320x320 was hard enough, after years of 320x480.

I want the camera, BT and EVDO, but the 650 still has a little life left in it, I can wait another 6 months or so. I just hope the 700p comes with more memory. I'm tired of having to play games moving stuff all around every time I want to install something.
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Eagerly awaiting the 700P. :fingers crossed:
    The 700's smaller sceen is the biggest drawback IMO, evdo vs. edge I doubt will make much difference for email and web browsing, probably only for large data file downloads. So overall it looks like the 650 is actually better. And GSM is essential for me when I go overseas.

I also certainly hope there will be a 700p, I've got too much invested in the software on my treo (and there are a lot of great third party palm apps) to want to change OS now unless there was a really compelling reason to. So far I don't see one, mostly now with the 1.71/1.20 ROM that is finally stable & fast.

And wifi would be nice too... but not holding my breath on that one.
    I think it's a question of time and of lessons learned from the 650 community. I am amused that it has a lower res screen than the 650 and still retains the oddly designed audio jack. If Palm was truly aiming at the iPod market, they would have followed the standards a bit more.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg
    I think it's a question of time and of lessons learned from the 650 community. I am amused that it has a lower res screen than the 650 and still retains the oddly designed audio jack. If Palm was truly aiming at the iPod market, they would have followed the standards a bit more.
    They did follow standards, the audio jack is the standard 2.5mm audio jack that every other phone has.

And where did Palm say they were aiming at the iPod market? If they were, they wouldn't have included the other 100 things that a Treo can do that an iPod can't.

And then painted it Fisher Price white.
    I'm back!
    How about Moore's Law?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    How about Moore's Law?
    What about it?
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by temna
    If there Treo 700 had a higher rez screen, I might have liked it more.. As it stands, if Palm could have made all the changes they did, why couldn't they get a 320x320 driver? I *KNOW* that a 320x320 driver wouldn't have been that hard to do for Microsoft. Considering all the time Palm and Microsoft have put into the 700, it might have been a single programmer's weekend project. There are 240x240 and 480x480 drivers. If you can easily get 320x240 or 240x320, how hard of a strech would 320x320 have been. Then they could have only had to support one screen. Personally, I think the only thing that the PPC platform has over the Palm platform is Mobile Office. Right now I'm thinking Documents to Go is utter crap next to it. Course, the hardware (proc speeds and memory) of the average PPC device kills the average Palm device too. Thank you Redmond for causing PPC users to carry mini-super computers to keep their schedule.

My thought exactly, the screen is a semi deal breaker. How do they expect us to go backwards.