1.    #1  
    OK I've done my searches and can't find an answer on this one. I rarely hotsync but figured I should do it now for the new year. Last time was a few months back and no real issues. Suddenly today I try it (using the USB cable that came with the 650) and I get an error on my PC saying "USB device not recognized" I tried changing the "local" port selection from COM1 to COM4 and then COM5 and no go. My Bluetooth is on but that was always on before with no issues I think. Anyone? I have Palm Dektop loaded and running when I try it and I tried using the button on the cable and the button on the screen and neither work. (and I just noticed this thread should be in the other subdirectory but can't delete and move it)
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Soft reset treo.

Reboot windows.

I would leave the USB on "auto" as long as your using anything later than Win 98. Do you know if you installed any other components to your PC recently? It could be that. When in doubt, reinstall.
  3.    #3  
    I reset the Treo and rebooted and no go. I ended up doing it this time with the infrared port which took FOREVER but worked but caused a soft reset as soon as hotsync ended.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I've seen this every so often too. My solution (which has worked every time thus far): kill the hotsync process in windows and restart it.