Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a Cingular branded 650, and have Goodlink, Epocrates, Verichat, TreoHelper and Butler loaded. I have already moved as much of Epocrates to the SD that they will allow, and now have only 3.6M of memory free. I have experienced the dreaded "freeze" a few times, and have also received Out of Memory errors while using Versamail and Blazer. I have been able to get past the errors by doing a soft reset.

I was wondering what some of you might recommend to me as ways to free up memory?

I did a search and was looking for other responses...

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Goodlink and Epocrates are your main culprits here, I would make sure your ROM is the most uptodate, there were some memory problems with the earlier versions.

I actually took epocrates off my Treo for that reason... working well with Lexi-drugs and PEPID, but those are preferences....
    I "downgraded" to the free version of Epocrates. I deleted the stuff that the free version won't let you use, but still loads on the Treo (ID, etc.) I don't bother updating very often...as ID et al get reloaded each time.

I run a ROW ROM so I don't have the GoodLink, etc., so this frees up some more space.

Roger
    Cingular Treo 650
    FW 01.51 SW Treo650-1.b17-CNG
    Mac OSX.4.6
    Are you using Docs to GO?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

Photos and Videos should be copied to the SD card and deleted from internal memory, if this is where you have them stored.

Cheers, Perry
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the responses so far, folks. I have to keep the full Epocrates with me for several reasons: I use it often, and I also have some collaborative projects with them and I need to have the application handy!

I do not use DTG, and have all of my media files on the card.

Ugh...
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I am like you, meducate. I have epocrates and want to keep it for numerous reasons. I am almost entirely out of memory as well. First I couldn't sync with epocrates and got a fatal error a few days ago, now I can't sync at all after doing several soft resets. Looks like I'm going to have to hard reset my Treo, but I'm waiting to do that for a few days due to time constraints. I just renewed my epocrates for 1 year about a month ago.
    purge call log and sms messages perodically
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I read a post the other day that they were running Epocrates from the card despite everything Ive ever read about it not working from the card. Freebies are great but I went with Davis, Steadmans and Skyscape med apps since they run from the card.

PowerRun and ZLauncher allow you to run apps from the card. Also a custom ROM can allow you to free up RAM. Of course store all your pics and video on the card.

I was suprised that most stuff can run from the card, if you want to post a list of your apps and we can tell you what to put on the card.
    Also if you just have a ton of email, switch to an email app that allows you to put the email on the card. VersaMail dosent let you do that does it?
    If you've done all of the previous suggestions, install the MemoryInfo tool, run it and post what it says in the NVFS Cache (RAM) section. I suspect you may be hitting the internal memory cache limit since you have 3.6M of total storage memory remaining.

Let's do that first before we go to more advanced stuff. If you want to read more in the mean time, see this article
  11.    #11  
    NVFS Memory Cache:

Total Size - 11967
    Total Free - 2860
    Largest Free Chunk - 2563

Goes up to over 9000 with a reset and then plummets back down to under 3000 after launching Goodlink...
    Make sure you are using the latest Cingular firmware. That helps a lot in managing the NVFS cache.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    meducate - thanks for posting the cache figures. Given your total free is less than 3MB, I'm pretty certain you are running into the dbCache memory limit before you actually hit the total available storage memory limit (the 3.6MB you said in the first post).

Although I've never used Epocrates, I use GoodLink along with many other 3rd party apps, so I've personally experienced the same low memory issues - especially with Blazer. Speaking of which, you can set the Blazer page cache limit to 0 which will also save you some memory. See the Blazer Options->Preferences->Advanced screen and change the "Set memory limit for storing pages" to 0MB. That'll save some as well.

I think the best next step for you is to update your 650 with the Cingular 1.17 fw update. As aprasad said, this has been well confirmed by many to be a serious improvement in the PalmOS dbCache management over any other version of fw (the rest of us are waiting to benefit as well).

From everything aprasad has said in related threads and what I've read elsewhere, it looks like it would completely eliminate the need for dbCacheTool, perhaps Resco Locker, and all the other workarounds in this article.

If the fw update takes care of it, updating the fw would be a much cleaner and less risky solution than all the other stuff since one of the risks using all that is the "lost prefs reset" that was mentioned. That isn't a problem for me anymore, but I wouldn't want someone else to have all the hassle I and others have.

Just make a good solid backup before you do anything. Assuming you haven't done a fw update before, my advice is that it's pretty easy if you carefully follow the instructions and do it when you have plenty of time available so you can do it carefully.

LMK what you think.
  14.    #14  
    Tom:

Thanks for your continued help. I will be doing the update to 1.17 next week -- I have to grab a blank SD card so that I can do the Goodlink backup that Cingular describes on their updater page prior to initiating the upgrade.

I'll let you know what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by meducate
    I have a Cingular branded 650, and have Goodlink, Epocrates, Verichat, TreoHelper and Butler loaded. I have already moved as much of Epocrates to the SD that they will allow, and now have only 3.6M of memory free. I have experienced the dreaded "freeze" a few times, and have also received Out of Memory errors while using Versamail and Blazer. I have been able to get past the errors by doing a soft reset.

I was wondering what some of you might recommend to me as ways to free up memory?

I did a search and was looking for other responses...

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Do a custom ROM, that will save you a few MBs. Move all your media (pics, movies) to your card, if you can switch to chatter for email to store mail on your card.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    My advice on the firmware update is to temporarily switch to a new hotsync ID for use during firmware update. Then you can go back to your old ID after the firmware update is completed.

All this has been discussed before (backup -> hard reset -> hotsync -> pick a temp ID -> run firmware updater -> when all is done -> hard reset -> hotsync -> select the old ID)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  17.    #17  
    Aprasad, thanks...I will do that!
    Good luck and I guess we'll talk next week
    I had memory issues as well. I deleted all old appointments from calender, emptied trash from email, purged sms, mms, and call log and that made a very big difference. Then i hard reset just to get rid of anything i may have missed. i back to 5m free!!!
  20.    #20  
    Thanks TD67. I am pretty compulsive about purging sms and mms, and I only have 7 emails in the inbox (and nothing in any other box including trash). Also, I dont sync my outlook with the calendar on the Treo since I use Goodlink and the sync is done wirelessly in that application.

I am still hovering at 3.6 but (please don't let me jinx myself here) haven't had too many resets this week. Two in all I think (still too mroe than I want but still not as bad as others are reporting).

That said, I will be upgrading firmware next week and perhaps that will clear this whole mess up.

Thanks again for everyone's help so far...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast