1.    #1  
    Drowned my 600 in kitchen sink last night. See a lighty used 650 for Sprint w/o camera (fine by me) for $225 (Buy It Now). Seller info as follows:
    giddyup1231 (77 Feedback score is 50 to 99)
    Feedback Score: 77
    Positive Feedback: 100%
    Member since Mar-05-01 in United States
    Have a PayPal account but never pruchased on eBay before. Would appreciate feedback re:
    1. Price
    2. Safety of transaction/any knowledge of buyer
    3. Confirm that if it says 650 for Sprint, I can take to my Sprint shop and have it hooked up to my account.
    Advice would be appreciated.
    Thanx ... Steamer
    Buying off of eBay is no different than any other online transaction. The power-seller status is probably a good sign, along with the good feedback. You might want to consider going through an escrow service. That way you can examine the item a day or two before any money is released to the seller. You'll be obiligated to pay for the service, but it's not too expensive and it gives peace of mind.

If the seller takes credit cards, it would be preferable to use one b/c of the fraud protection (I'm not sure if paypal deposits against credit cards have the same protection). Even better, many banks will issue you one-time-use cards that will show up on your credit card statement, but will be denied if someone tries to use them again.

Price is OK. Are you sure you can't do better directly from your carrier? I was only one year into a 2 year contract with Verizon, but was eligible for a new phone at the discounted price. I paid $299 but I have a full warranty.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    go for the carrier option and go new.
    Im not sure about them all but VZW wont insure used equipment.
    How did you drown your 600? Care to share your story?

Why buy used when the T/C store sells them for $150 for Sprint, $200 for Verizon, $230 for Cingular? http://store.treocentral.com/content...s/page-650.htm.

I see the similar offering on the other competitive Treo site although their Cingular pricing is better.

I don't work for T/C store nor any of the forum moderators.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    if you had a 600, are you out of your contract period ? If yes, call your carrier and ask for the retention department, tell them you will have to transfer your number, or they can sell you a subsidized Treo 650...

Who is your current carrier ?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I have read many reports that Sprint will refuse to activate phones that were not purchased new from them or an authorized reseller. They may tell you that the phone was stolen, even if it wasn't.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    I have read many reports that Sprint will refuse to activate phones that were not purchased new from them or an authorized reseller. They may tell you that the phone was stolen, even if it wasn't.
    I have activated phones purchased used..and my T600, which I sold on ebay, was activated.. all were Sprint
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000

Why buy used when the T/C store sells them for $150 for Sprint, $200 for Verizon, $230 for Cingular? http://store.treocentral.com/content...s/page-650.htm.
    I agree.. I bought my T650 from Sprint... it was $399 less a $150 rebate, and I was given another mail in rebate for Palm and some other incentives from Sprint.
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    I purchased a used Treo 650 from Ebay and was able to activate it with Sprint, no problems.
    I purchased a Sprint Treo by accident (Long story) and I was able to sell it to a neighbor and he was able to activate it just fine.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000

I see the similar offering on the other competitive Treo site although their Cingular pricing is better.

I don't work for T/C store nor any of the forum moderators.

I vote for new with full warranty. . . . . .plus pay the $5 per month for the equipment protection. (Sprint)

Cheers, Perry
    Bought the wife (used) and I (NEW) Treos off ebay and they are working great! I would have bought from Sprint or Palm with incentives, but we were in the middle of our plan and didn't qualify for any sweet deals. Activated immediately no problem!

GO UTES! <----- That's for Jamesgangut
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Quote Originally Posted by WWombat
    Drowned my 600 in kitchen sink last night. See a lighty used 650 for Sprint w/o camera (fine by me) for $225 (Buy It Now).
    Advice would be appreciated.
    Thanx ... Steamer
    I'd first go through Sprint to see what kind of deal they can do - try a atore as well as online. If you are out of contract they will want to retain you or if you're a long time customer who may leave they may work a deal. The key is to get high enough in the organization to get to someone who can do that.

If they won't deal and you're past the contract date, you can get a new 650 for the same or lower price from Verizon / Earthlink / Cingular. - a refurb direct from Cingular is 139.

I did that with Verizon and got my 650 for $149 - they matched an Earthlink price - but I had to get to the right person.
  14.    #14  
    First of all, thanx for all the responses & advice.

Ronbo2000: Not much of a story to tell. Was in the middle of a 3-way conversation (a friend in my kitchen, another friend on the 600 via speakerfone & myself) and I reached around my wife to get a glass with my free hand. As I did, the Treo leapt out of my other hand (despite eGrips, which I love!) into the dishwater. The unit sank imediately into very hot, very greasy dishwater. I pulled it out as soon as I could. The screen and speakers played haunted house for over three hours; then the unit died. Three days later there is still water/moisture inside. You can play with the screen sort of like a liquid etch-a-sketch, but it won't turn on or show any signs of life. My guess is that it finally shorted out.

My situation is similar to that of Elder_Shawn. I still have 6 months to go on my 2-year contract. Went to a Sprint store and they offered me $75 off of their full unit price of $599. Way too much for a unit that will probably be out of date by June. Don't want to enter into another 2-year deal yet, because I want to be able to upgrade to 700P when it is released (depending upon what it offers). Don't want to swtich networks because I really like Sprint (have tried Verizon & AT&T -- and hate them both!). I have had superior customer service from Sprint prior to this episode.

Pabo & JCoffey: Will try the Retention Dept./Customer Service ladder before I risk the eBay buy. But, unless Sprint breaks down and offers me a deal, it looks like the eBay offer is best for my situation. If I can't get Spriunt to accept the eBay unit, I should be able to resell it on eBay without taking too much of a bath.

Pax, Steamer
    I remember seeing posts of people who dropped their Treos in water, btw --even washed them in the washing machine-- and got them to work afterwards. Unfortunately, I think the best chance of recovering is to take it apart and dry it out BEFORE you attempt to turn it back on. Trying to get it to work afterwards might have caused more damage than the water itself.

Can't hurt to try, though, while you're looking for a replacement. Try searching the board ("water", "dry", etc) and see what others have done.