Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    My treo 650 has been acting up as of late, and I think it's mostly due to not taking care of what apps I was installing. I'd like to just wipe it clean and start from scratch. By clean, I mean wipe all installed apps and associated files. PIM data's not critical, since I can just resynchronize it once it's clean. I'm just not sure how best to go about wiping it, and re-synchronize PIM data. Do I need to make a new Hotsync ID? I'd prefer to keep the same one, so I don't have to re-register the critical apps I use. Just looking for advice on where to start I guess.

thanks
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Do a zero out reset or hard reset.
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. After the hard reset, rename your backup folder and sync. Rhat will restore your PIM data. This will also keep your hotsync ID. Then you can install any apps one at a time.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Sorry, can't edit my typo on the mobile version. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I'd pop over to Northglkide's site Pickup the neatFreakPak (Uninstall manager / Cleanup) and then do a hard reset. Course I'd rename my user name folder in the Palm \ backup directory 1st. Then I'd wipe my SD card, install Uninstall Manager and start loading apps one at a time with a sync between each app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong. After the hard reset, rename your backup folder and sync. That will restore your PIM data. This will also keep your hotsync ID. Then you can install any apps one at a time.
    This is the best way. Renaming the Backup folder will give you a clean start as far as applications are concerned. After a hard reset, you'll be asked on the PC to either create a new ID or use the old hotsync ID. Use the old ID and you'll get back your Calendar, Tasks, Contacts and Memos. And nothing else.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Brings up an interesting question...

If you do regular backups to SD as I do...three times a week... And the system begins to get unstable...If you do a hard reset and then restore from the card do you run the same risk of restoring the offending as you do at the PC level doing the same thing??
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    Yes, the SD back up might just return the problem.

To do a clean install, you must hard reset, rename the backup folder to backupold, hot sync to get the PIM data back and then reinstall any 3rd party qpps fresh from scratch -- not from a backup.

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    Brings up an interesting question...

If you do regular backups to SD as I do...three times a week... And the system begins to get unstable...If you do a hard reset and then restore from the card do you run the same risk of restoring the offending as you do at the PC level doing the same thing??
    I started out clean and kept a log of my installs and backups. Gory details in
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=102869

I have restored from the card but not too far back in time.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I want to do a clean install, but don't want to have to redo all of my Blazer bookmarks from scratch. Can someone tell me where the bookmarks are backed up on my PC so I can save that when I resync?

Thanks
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Blazer_Bookmarks.PDB in the backup directory on the PC.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    I want to do a clean install, but don't want to have to redo all of my Blazer bookmarks from scratch. Can someone tell me where the bookmarks are backed up on my PC so I can save that when I resync?

Thanks

You might want to save your entire data partition to another location on your HD . This way when you are done reinstalling, if there is anything you want back, you can just look for the appropriate pdb file on your backup copy.

I renamed mine, dumping the Adress book, ToDo, Calendar and memo db's and then manually restored address book and calendar as it was the palm memo files that were causing me hotsync errors.....same thing hapened with all three ROM upodates. First HotSync after each ROM update would fail stalling ecah time on the memos db....and I ahve never created a memo in either the desktop or Treo.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    I've been through this procedure before, and recently had to do it again and came across a bit of a problem. How does BackupBuddy change this procedure? Seems like not everything is stored in palmOne\xxx\Backup any more. Also I have to go to Hotsync Manager and change the BackupBuddy conduit to Do Nothing, or else it just reinstalls everything on that first sync after reset.
    I gave up on PC based backups (BB) in favor of card based backups (Resco Explorer, BBVFS) a long time ago.

On the PC, I use the standard Backup conduit, which is easy to manage, and id often used by the ROM updaters.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Yes, the SD back up might just return the problem.

To do a clean install, you must hard reset, rename the backup folder to backupold, hot sync to get the PIM data back and then reinstall any 3rd party qpps fresh from scratch -- not from a backup.

Cheers, Perry
    I was actually planning on doing this today (between doing homework problems). I didn't even think about the backup folder. Great, thanks.
    I started this process yesterday morning and followed all teh great instructions here including deleting the backup folder. Unfortunately, once I installed backupbuddy (which I hadn't used for months and never purhcased from the trial) it did a lot of the restoring you just mentioned. I don't know if I should start over again (Ugh) or just try this substandard clean start?
    BackupBuddy is probbaly a great program if you use it correctly....problem is restores aren't soemthing you do every day and unless you wanna RTFM every time, and set all conduits right depending on various different situations, it may bite you.

I bought the BUBPro / BUBVFSPro bundle and now only use VFS version and do backups to card.