1.    #1  
    If you're like me, and cracked the screen for your lovely Treo 650, the touchscreen doesn't work anymore!

Instead of spending upwards of $200 to get it replaced "professionally", you can buy a replacement screen on E-Bay for about 85 bucks (or less).
    Link for replacement screen.

Here's a video showing you step by step how to replace the screen in your Treo 650!

http://www.youtube.com/?v=8AiDCLvMtww

Note: If you break your Treo further, it's your own damn fault! This is for informational purposes only. Also, this is not an advertisement for any specific vendor. I did this as something to fill my afternoon last Saturday.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Pretty complete... I hesitated to bookmark it for fear on junxing myself...

What was the second card he removed, after removing the SD??
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    That was the SIM Card for GSM phones only.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Some of the other tips I have are :

1. Use an old credit card to release the tabs that hold the two halves of the case together instead of the jewelers flat head screwdriver. The credit card does less damage to the case of it slips while attempting to push or pry the tabs loose from their catches.

2. When replacing the screws try and keep their locations the same. If you have to remove and replace the screws several times they tend to strip the plastic holes. When replacing the screws I also like to slowly back the screw out of the hole to find the same threads to tighten the screw into.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    The side button and volume keys are difficult to move out of the way when reconnecting the two halves. Take your time here and don't forget the camera lens gasket like he did in the video.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    WARNING: Be extremely careful when prying open your case as it is very easy it is to hurt the wires inside.

There are two sets of cables very close to where he inserts his screwdriver to open in the case in the picture. One set of cables is for the keyboard and one for the display. The one for the keyboard is the one near the bottom that he unplugs first, then the one for the display.

The one for the keyboard is pretty robust, i.e. thick, but the one for the display is very thin, making it easy to cut with the screwdriver (as I did when I disassembled my T600 one too many times).

I would open the unit on the other side, i.e. on the right as you're looking at the back of the unit with the camera on the upper left, to minimize the chance of cutting these cables.

-- Dan
    very brave work and ultra informative. i have learnt lots having viewed this video. i like opening small gadgets and have looked into quite a lot of treos and palms but haven't done it to my treo650 yet.
    p.s. the music in the background definitely fitted the atmosphere :-)
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    redxeth that is another reason to use an old credit card.
    I also reccommend the "old credit card" method of opening the case and I used an "eyeglass" flat screwdriver to remove the screws
    Very cool!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Thanks for the info. I replaced my screen yesterday, works great. The screen cost me $63 + shipping on Ebay.

The only issue I had was getting the display cable to sit right, took a couple trys. Sliding the credit card to open the sides worked well.

Best part is you don't have to go through the hassle of replacing all your software.
    DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by d1hamby
    Some of the other tips I have are :

1. Use an old credit card to release the tabs that hold the two halves of the case together instead of the jewelers flat head screwdriver. The credit card does less damage to the case of it slips while attempting to push or pry the tabs loose from their catches.
    I just used my thumbnail. Worked great.

2. When replacing the screws try and keep their locations the same. If you have to remove and replace the screws several times they tend to strip the plastic holes. When replacing the screws I also like to slowly back the screw out of the hole to find the same threads to tighten the screw into.
    The threads in the other half of the case are metal. It doesn't seem that you are threading into plastic, as far as I can tell.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.