Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    NOt sure if there is gunk in the keypad or if it indeed is a faulty keypad. Or perhaps maybe it got loose from the occasional drop....

In any event, two or three buttons (specifically the lower keypad of 7, 8, and 9) are sticky or dont even respond from time to time.

Assuming it is due to dirt, any tricks to help resolve this issue?
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
    I've read to try a small drop of rubbing alcohol (with an eyedropper) and this should help get rid of the stickyness. Threads are listed in the Treo 600 Hardware forum. Hope this helps!
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    i think it's not even stickiness. i think the keypad is somehow not aligned with the hardware.... is this possible? if so, can i fixit myself without having to go to the store?
    1.04-SPNT
    I've always had good luck with CRC electronics cleaner - though I have never tried it for this specific application.
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    bump
    1.04-SPNT
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    ok. just an update. the buttons still stick from time to time, but i've noticed that a major factor is the temp of the phone. usually in the morning fresh off the cradle it never works well. but after a few huors in the pocket, the buttons work brand new. just wanted to confirm this with anyone....
    1.04-SPNT
    If you search on Google video's, there is a video showing how to open the Treo. And you can get a new keyboard from a place online, pdaparts I think? Might search this forum for the URL.

It might just be misaligned, or have junk under it somehow.. Either way you can replace the keyboard contacts or the keys themselves for about $30 and less than an hour.
    I second khaytsus recommendation, with a qualifier.

If you read my post on my broken screen, what I did not mention was the second time I put it back together, the top left row of the keypad didn't work. I opened it up again, reset the connector, and made sure everything was going back together okay. Then they worked fine.

I'm not recommending opening up the case for this problem, just that it worked for me.
    This happened to me before. I sprayed the affected keys with alcohol and then I let it dry for several minutes. Keyboard is working ok now
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    yeah, the problem with opening it,is that it supposedly voids the warranty, and/or the insurance i buy every month. it hasnt happened in a while, but thought i would experiement and see if it was a temp problem.
    1.04-SPNT
    If you have the insurance that you are paying this money for, why don't you just use it to get a new phone?
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DataByte
    If you have the insurance that you are paying this money for, why don't you just use it to get a new phone?
    been hearing rumors that the replacements for small fixes, like keyboard, not only costs the deductible (maybe $50? maybe more???) but also they possibly give you refurbished radios. not sure if it's true, but the problem for me has gone away (for now). dont want to risk paying more $ for a used one.

1.04-SPNT