1.    #1  
    I received a Treo 600 from my son who now uses a Blackberry. I switched the SIMM card from my Motorola and the Treo worked perfectly.

Then I screwed up. In looking for a manual on the PalmOne site I noticed that upgrades were available so I downloaded the Cingular version. Wrong. Then I tried a couple more with the same results. The contacts and calendar work fine but the phone won't work.

To further complicate matters, I'm not sure who the original provider was and I can't tell by looking in Menu/Options/Phone Info because the new install replaced that information.

And, there is no serial number on the back next to the speaker where its supposed to be. Actually, no information at all. Its not in the Phone Info screen either.

What can I do to find and load the right software, or is there another solution?
    Never used a 600, but does your son know who the original provider was? (I am assuming you no longer have the original packaging.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/13/2006 at 01:18 PM.
  3.    #3  
    He thinks the original provider was T-Mobile but I'm not so sure and he's not positive. On the PalmOne website they do not list T-Mobile as a provider.

I came across a screen where you could enter the SN and, I believe, the results of the search would reveal the name of the first provider. However, I cannot find that screen again.

Is there any way to talk to a real person at PalmOne?
    As I understand it, T-Mobile never sold Treo's, people that use the T-Mobile network with a Treo bought an "unlocked" version from Palm to use on the T-Mobile Network.

Here is a link to the Palm 600 (GSM) support web page. It lists an updater to download (scroll down near the bottom under downloads) and references T-Mobile as a service provider. Hope this helps.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo600gsm

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/13/2006 at 08:50 PM.
    If you upgraded your phone probably became locked again. Request the unlock code on this or other forums and give it a try.
    T-Mo did sell T600s. Shouldn't the ROW updater work? You probably want to keep asking until one of the folks here that really understand the update/unlock process can answer you. Check the knowledgebase at MTDN
    http://mytreo.net/treofaq/TreoFaqHome
    There is a section on firmware updates and unlocking of the T600.
    All 600's with no branding on the outside are ROW models. T-Mo sold ROW units also; I had a few myself. Use the ROW firmware and you will restore the phone to its original state.
  8.    #8  
    I went to the PalmOne site and downloaded the ROW updater and it would not install. I still have the Software: Treo600-1.16-cng displaying in Phone Info. Cingular is my current provider.

I downloaded Token Writer, installed it on the Treo, opened it, entered:
    write crnm cng
    and it took. I understand this tells the Treo600 that it is now a Cingular phone.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread the phone worked fine when I got it a few days ago. All I had to do was charge it and install the SIMM card. Things went south when I tried to update the installer.

Is there someplace or somebody I can send it to that can make it functional again. I have wasted far too much time messing with it. However, during the time it did work I fell in love with it.

Somebody bail me out.

You can restore it factory settings... look on the sticky for one of the ##codes... I think it's ##7738 but i'm not sure.
    Currently using: Sprint Treo 650!!
    Palm Pilot - Palm V- Handspring Visor - Samsung i500 - Treo 600
    use tokenwriter and enter:

write crnm row

This will reset it to a ROW model. Then apply the latest ROW update.
  11.    #11  
    skilllllz: Thanks for your suggestion. Here's what I did:

I successfully entered "write crnm row" in the TokenWriter application and it "took."

I downloaded RWO 1.12 from Palm One, ( Treo600ROWUpdater1.12.exe ) unzipped it, executed it and followed the setup instructions eventually getting to the point where I was instructed to HotSync the Treo. The Treo went through the normal HotSync function until it brought me to "Reset."

I tapped reset and got the following message: "The update is not compatible with this device." I clicked OK which brought me to the Applications screen.

I had previously done a hard reset and created a new user "temp" so there was no memory problem as far as I could tell.

The existing rom file is Treo600-1.16row When I try to turn on the phone by depressing the button by the antenna the unit searches for Cingular and comes up with the message: SIM card not allowed Your phone cannot be used with this SIM card.

However, when I first got the Treo all I did was charge it and install the same SIM card and I made calls with the Treo immediately with no problem whatsoever.

Any further suggestions? I really do appreciate your help.
  12.    #12  
    wachochrisodium:
    If the sticky you are referring to is the label on the back of the unit next to the speaker I'm in trouble because there is no label and no SN or anything else Treo 600 in about 6 point.

Can I find this number elsewhere?
    In post #8 you said it took the cingular update and that it was displaying Treo600-1.16-cng in the phone info screen. Now you state that the row update didn't work but it says Treo600-1.16-row in the phone info. Was that a typo?

I can definitely help you solve this problem, but first there are several more questions I need you to answer:

Does the unit have any kind of carrier branding on it whatsoever?

When you first recieved it, do you recall it displaying the Cingular logo after powering the phone on/off, or was it the Treo logo?

Did your son buy it brand new or was it used when he got it?

Take a quick look at your SIM card, what does it actually say on it: AT&T or Cingular?
  14.    #14  
    That was not an error in post #8. It was after that post that I successfully installed Treo600-1.16-row but the phone still would not function.

There is no branding on the phone whatsoever. However, on the back at the bottom above the works "Assembled in Mexico" the following is written on the case:
    FCC ID 08FDK
    C3959A-DK
    CE0082 (part of the characters are missing but I'm 90% sure that's how it reads)

When I first received the phone it had no SIM card. When I powered it on I did not take notice of what logo appeared on the screen.

I just sent an email to my son to determine if it was new or used and will post his reply ASAP.

The SIM card has the Cingular name and logo and reads, "64K smartchip"

Thanks
    Ok, what you have is a ROW unit that is locked for use only with T-Mobile. It must have been unlocked prior to you acquiring it, since you were able to use it. When you upgraded the FW it locked again, which is completely normal. It simply needs to be unlocked again. I will see if I still have the utility to do so and get back to you. In the meantime if anyone has it please chime in...

rballou, your 90% there. :-)
    Dare I say it. The other forum MyTREO.net has it.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    Ok, what you have is a ROW unit that is locked for use only with T-Mobile. It must have been unlocked prior to you acquiring it, since you were able to use it. When you upgraded the FW it locked again, which is completely normal. It simply needs to be unlocked again. I will see if I still have the utility to do so and get back to you. In the meantime if anyone has it please chime in...

rballou, your 90% there. :-)

Cool
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    Clipped..........
    Did your son buy it brand new or was it used when he got it?
    He advises it was purchased new.

In looking around I found many sites that offered software for a fee to unlock a Treo 600. One, http://tinyurl.com/dmlpq , offers it at no charge. I downloaded it and read the readme file but have not attempted to execute it. I'll wait to hear what you (skilllllz) have found.
    If you decide to unlock it, go to mytreo.net and post a request in the T600 unlock forum. You can also get help there if need be.
    rballou,

Here you go:

http://rapidshare.de/files/11421306/T6GSMUP305.zip.html

Detailed instructions are included.

Let me know how it goes.